Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » lighted sign faces

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lighted sign faces
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't done any lighted sign faces for a long time; but have a request from a good customer to do a pair, 4 by 8 feet. Though I'm not too enthused about doing them, he's whining; so I guess I'll give it a shot.

Most of these I see today are white polycarbonate faces with translucent vinyl on the outside. What is the cost difference between doing them like this and the old cut-and-spray way? I know it's a heck of a lot less mess, but does it hold up well?

What would be a fair price for this job? It will be the name on top, phone number on bottom, and a simple clip-art type picture of a motorcycle in the middle....4 or 5 colors. I'll have to get someone to slide them in for me. I don't have a boom anymore.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Shirk
Visitor
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Shirk   Email Dave Shirk       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We would charge $554.00 per face using white Lexan sheet. Oracal 8500 series transluscent vinyl. 4 colors, simple copy.
We find that this is far more economical than using the "Grip-Flex" type paints, mainly due to labor. (And toxic bad stuff.)
We've had 8500 series out there for almost 5 years with no failures as yet.
Here in the mountains of Colorado, or shop rate is $75.00 and bucket truck w/ 1 man is $95.00.
Hope this helps.
All my best!

--------------------
Dave Shirk
Fitting Finishes Signs & Embroidery
78 Apache Trail
South Fork, CO 81154

Posts: 16 | From: South Fork, Colorado, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input, Dave. My bad....I forgot to mention that they will be pan faces. I expect that will drive the price up a bit.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Dale,
If you're set up to spray, the process should be a whole lot more affordable. However, you can charge a premium because, IMHO, the graphics will last a lot longer.
Depending on the grade of vinyl, you can expect to get 5 to 10 years out of applied graphics. I've seen back sprayed faces last a lot longer than 10 years.
I won't quote a price for pan faces because I would have to see what the faces would cost me. A shoot from the hip price for 3/16 polycarbonate faces lettered with HP translucent vinyl would be $900-$1000 each, depending on the design and colors.
Install would be additional.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!