Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » SignLab and Vista

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SignLab and Vista
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone running SignLab 7.1 with the Windows Vista OS?

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal feelings is..
It ain't goona happen. This is just a guess. But the trend is M$ wants to be paid to certify (sign) drivers. Unsigned (dongle?) drivers will not work. (so far) Signed drivers mean big money to M$. So a vendor will have to offer an update to get paid so he can pay for the singing of that new driver.

Update to Signlab 8 will likely be it.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am... Seems to be a little buggy, but I'm having more problems with peripherals (sp?) than software. My HP color laser, my scanner, and my HP 970c inkjet refuse to work. My roland color camm either. Had to buy a new inkjet printer. I'm seriously considering trading places with my dell XP system I've got at home. Call me if you need to.

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Tucker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use SignLab 5 for most all of my CNC sign work. I'll "upgrade" to Vista when Bill Gates pries XP from my cold, dead fingers.

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Posts: 508 | From: Gainesville, Ga. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Sharrard
Resident

Member # 388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Sharrard   Email Robin Sharrard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Roy, I posted that very question to Cadlink, in their general forum. It took a while to get an answer, but they finaly came forth with a full explanation on what is going on, to include some explanation as to some of the workings in Vista and why they are the way they are. They advise not to install Signlab into Vista until they release 7.1 Build 8 which is due out fairly soon, which deals with the Hasp/Dongle issue...if you have the old serial dongle, like I do, you may need to upgrade it to a USB Dongle, and even they said it is "Presently Buggy" You will need to be logged on as system administrator to install it.

--------------------
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Sign
Fallon, Nevada
rds@phonewave.net
"Proud $$$ Supporter"

Posts: 282 | From: Fallon, Nevda, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My problem is, I need to get a new computer and all I have found available come with Vista preloaded. I don't know if they can be reverse engineered to XP. Any ideas?

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can still get OEM machines. OR you can build one yourself. Plus XP is still available fo rsale all over the palce.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Tucker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roy Frisby:
My problem is, I need to get a new computer and all I have found available come with Vista preloaded. I don't know if they can be reverse engineered to XP. Any ideas?

Yep. Go to an independent computer service/sales store and have a computer custom built with XP installed (do you have your own copy?) , that is upgradeable to Vista if'n you ever decide you "just gotta have it". Eventually, M$ will make sure we all "gotta have Vista", and by then all of the bugs should be worked out with SignLab, etc.

That's what I did, and life is good! [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Posts: 508 | From: Gainesville, Ga. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roy,

I buy my computers from TigerDirect without an OS.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found Dell's on their small business website that they offer with Vista or XP.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimmy Hill
Visitor
Member # 4413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimmy Hill   Author's Homepage   Email Jimmy Hill       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vista is great in some ways but in other ways it is a real problem.

I have a friend who has build many computers for me over the years and I follow his advice and he told me to stay with XP until all the bugs are removed from Vista.

He also told me not to download IE-7 because of problems it has.

My friend is really good at building and fixing computers and he does a lot of work for major chains of stores who use cameras in their stores to monitor what's going on and he had his clients set up so that they could watch their buisness from their laptop anytime they wanted from any where.

Once some of them downloaded IE-7 they could no longer excess their business through their laptop and he explained why this was happening and that he now must go out the change their system back to IE-6

Bottom line he told me stay with XP and IE-6 until they figure out how all this is going to work.

Many of the changes in VISTA were done for security reasons but in doing that they blocked many of the software programs we need to use each day and others just won't work at all.

The first versions of VISTA would not run any others security software other then Microsoft so the other companies took Microsoft to court to try get them to change Vista.

Microsoft plays hard ball!

Do most of you know that there are no more updates for any Microsoft operating system below XP?

Jimmy Hill

--------------------
Jim Hill
Nostalgic Racing Decals Inc.
637 Sedgewick Way
Palm Harbor, Florida. 34683
jimbo1734683@yahoo.com

Posts: 22 | From: Palm Harbor, Florida | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting compilation of Vista/Apple comparisons.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMwNSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jimmy, based on what your friend said
I have a friend who has build many computers for me over the years and I follow his advice and he told me to stay with XP until all the bugs are removed from Vista.

You will be using XP for the rest of your life. [Wink]

I am happy with XP, it is stable, it does what I want it to do, I feel like I am getting to know it and I certainly don't want to change it for at least 5 years. [Cool]

I wish bill gates would just leave those of us who are happy with an operating system, the choice to stick with it. [Mad]

[ March 17, 2007, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Miles Cullinane ]

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Do most of you know that there are no more updates for any Microsoft operating system below XP?"

Yup...and in all honesty, why should there be? I don't think I'm gonna redo a sign from 1995 over for free...why expect MS to continue supporting Win 3.1, 95, 98 or even ME?

"I wish bill gates would just leave those of us who are happy with an operating system, the choice to stick with it."

Personally, I would prefer the hackers and virus writers to leave it alone and stop giving Billy and the boys reasons to constantly update stuff. So much for having a choice...
The really weird part, most hackers are looking to take Gates apart cause he's top of the geek food chain, when in actuality, they are why he makes the big bucks...fixing what they wreck.

Vista's no different than any other major release from Microsoft...it's gonna take a while for everyone to catch up with it. Software designers will make things compatible, drivers will be updated, hardware will get faster...

I'll probably get a Vista loaded system before the year ends, not because I want the grief, but because, in all honesty, it's still gonna be the OS I'll need to run Corel X4 and higher.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Biggs
Resident

Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Biggs   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Biggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been updating since the commodore 64
(my wife was really happy when we got windows
machine with 3.1 in it. So she didn't have to enter all those codes, to underline and capitalize. LOL
guess I'll be updating till I quit doing.
Just wish it got a little easier.Last time
I updated, I went with a whole new system
printers, plotters, edge signlab and network.
So far they have always paid for themselves
besides making 3 familys a living.
Bill
Bill

--------------------
Bill & Barbara Biggs
Art's Sign Service, Inc.
Clute, Texas, USA
Home of The Great Texas Mosquito Festival
Proud 10 year Supporter of the Letterheads Website
www.artssigns.com
"MrBill-" on the chat page
MailTo:biggsbb@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1020 | From: Lake Jackson,Tx | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

This thread makes me wonder...where will it all end? I mean, think about it! With plotters, CNC's, digital printers, rock-steady OS's (XP), incredibly powerful CAD/CAM programs literally flooding the market, it's near the point already where one can compare it with men's razor blades. That's right,... razor blades!

The safety razor got the job done, but could decapitate you if you were in a hurry, careless, or a novice. The Track II came along, the idea was improved upon (Tracer), and you couldn't ask for a closer, smoother, or safer shave. But no. Here comes the Mach 3, then the Quarto, and now Gillette (or somebody), has a 5-bladed monster with a vibrator attached to it called the "Fusion" or some dumb chit. The replacement cartridges cost like $54,000.00 each and perform NO BETTER nor last ANY LONGER than a good ol' 2 bladed cheapo!

Y'all see what I'm gettin' at? There comes a point in time and a case with money where it's simply not worth it to stay on the "cutting edge" if the edge you have NOW ain't dull! XP, in my experience, is a rock-steady OS. No way I'm buying Vista just to find out half my stuff won't work anymore without spending a bunch more bucks to make the problems and headaches go away.

"If'n it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!"

And that's my rant for today, thank you very much. [Smile]

P.S. I guess it will end when all you have to do is just think about it and, *poof*, there it is.

[ March 18, 2007, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: Mark Tucker ]

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Tony Teveris
Visitor
Member # 2911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Teveris   Email Tony Teveris       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"signed" drivers has nothing to do with M$ making money. People screamed for better security so you got it.

Those who do software for a living know what a driver can do to a system "if it wants". The cost of signing a driver is about $500 and is basiclly a two step process.

First the software vendor needs to get certified by a licensed agent, then the software vendor goes to MS to get their approval. The driver needs to pass a bunch of test in order for it to get "signed".

Now my idea has alway been if we can catch the wacks that love to spread viruses around and terminate them, then maybe we would not have this problem.

The same goes for all the Vista security, people want to be protected so MS provided their solution, it's better then it has ever been. Maybe not the best implementation.

And I have been using Vista everday since it's been release with very few problems. - Vista 64 bit

--------------------
Tony Teveris
Gerber Software Engr
South Windsor, CT

Posts: 92 | From: South Windsor, CT | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

yes, toney
Its $500 bux PER driver and when a co like HP has only about 327 different drivers for printers alone? well.. it adds up fast. And do you have that certification? And do you know how much it costs and how long to get it? There are sites all over teh web to get "certifired". It aint cheap.

You may be running vista 64 just fine. I personaly wish you well. On the other hand I am making extra money here fixing back ppl's machines to XP from Vist@.

I just got back from a service call where the client wants to run his office with vist@. None of his legacy devices have drivers. Some very expensive devices will never have drivers (direct from the manu rep.). Guess who hates vista as much as you like it. He swears he will not upgrade again.
Linux here he comes.

--------------------

Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only Reason I have an XP Machine is so I can Run my Adobe Premier the rest are 2000 and will stay that way till I die. (Well maybe not that long [Smile] ) I have already turned down upgrades for programs since they are XP only.
I will always stay with Signlab until they require me to have Vista then I will never buy another upgrade from them.

Same reason. If it ain't broke no reason to fix it.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!