Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » good ghost sign pictures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: good ghost sign pictures
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.lileks.com/ghost/index.html

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Steve, i could look at this stuff for Hours!! and the commentary iswe;; done too.

John

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love these, thanks...

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristie Byrnes
Visitor
Member # 3510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristie Byrnes   Email Kristie Byrnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff! I love looking at all that too.

--------------------
Kristie Byrnes
Paintbrush Graphics
6126 Big Cut Rd.
Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
rugbyrnes@hotmail.com
(563) 357-7614

Posts: 90 | From: Thomson,IL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, that reminds of the times when we really
did that type of signs and there were shops
that regularly kept us busy doing such signage.
Being out on a swing stage had a feel of flying
and freedom at the same time. When a job was
conpleted, there was a kind of hollow feeling
and you couldn't wait to get on the next wall.

Dog gonnit! Thanks for bringing it up Steve.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome!

Jack - i can only imagine how cool that must have been!

[ March 06, 2007, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Steve Racz ]

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those bring back memories..as a young teen, I worked on many walls with my dad, just like those, on a swing stage. Most were in or around Trenton NJ. He would cut, I would fill. That was the one of the few sign tasks I could be trusted with being such a young person.

2 sayings still stick in my mind. He used to say if you could get it layed out by noon, you could finish before dark. Also, he said you could tell who you were up there painting with, by the sound they made slapping the paint bucket with their brush. You dip in paint, then slap the brush on the inside of the pail to get rid of excess paint. Some people slap once, some 2 or 3 quick slaps. In between conversations, that was a familiar sound, the brushes slapping away as we worked.

That was hard work though...moving the stage, block and fall and hooks etc. to the roof and back took some effort. They were long days, not for a lazy person.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a nice trip back in time. Thanks Steve. I live near Worcester Mass. there is a lot of old painted signs on building there. I always love to see them.

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana
Lived in Worcester, a lot of those wall signs were done by wall dogs, Ed Mcleod, Frank Kulig and Stan Romanoff, who I understand was a decendent of the Zarr of Russia. There was a nice article about Stan many years ago in the Worcester Telegram, Feature Parade, including photos. Stan liked to work at night on his walls on swing staging with drop lights for illumination. Northridge Furniture, Coney Island Hot Dogs, Metropolitan Cleaners, Chevalier Furniture as well as many others. A real craftsman. No one would bother him at night.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Have a lot of questions about how they layed out the signs and stuff. Is there a site that tells what the usual procedure might be.

Like most things I'm sure everyone had there own way.I would say you could lay out the spaceing on the roof and drop lines down, or put a marker and follow the brick lines. The bricks would be helpful once you got the first letter down.

Did they use Japan drier in the primer? Did they use a special paint? I've worked on wall jacks,pump jacks,lifts, and pipe staging but swing staging never looked like fun to me.

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!