Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » cube van wrap

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cube van wrap
Brenda Daley Giuseppin
Visitor
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Author's Homepage   Email Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to quote a 16' cube van wrap
today. Just wondering what perhaps
some of you use for your formula to
price. We also have to remove the
old wrap...yuk! How would you price it?

--------------------
Ottawa Custom Signs
Stittsville, Ontario

Posts: 346 | From: Stittsville, ON | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris OBrien
Visitor
Member # 5409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris OBrien   Author's Homepage   Email Chris OBrien       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Removing the old wrap should be a lot better than if it were just regular vinyl graphics, especially if it has a laminate. Its much thicker, and all in one piece, and doesn't leave as much adhesive residue. For applying, a lot of people figure prices at a sq/ft rate, around here about $14/sq ft (Not including the design work.) If you were wrapping a flat panel vs. a complex curve fender, you might need to adjust accordingly.

--------------------
Chris O'Brien
Cape Cod, MA

Posts: 183 | From: Cape Cod MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Brenda, Unfortuately the removal might be a lot more labour than the install, it all depends on how long the vinyl was on there. If I were you I'd try a section first just to see what you are up against.

Around here we charge about $10 per sqft. I know I should charge more but there's no way.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does it have rivets or is it smooth sides? That is a factor to consider also. We are in the middle at around $12 without controltac. $15 with controltac.

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Removal of the old wrap is by shop rate with no guarantee on price. Sometimes it will just zip off, other times it comes off one difficult inch at a time.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And make it known to them that because you did not put the original wrap on you are not responsible if some egghead has put cutmarks in their paint already. And make sure they SEE the cut marks in their paint (if there are any) before you cover it again. You don't need to be blamed and asked to repaint their vehicle before they try to sell it after the wrap you put on is removed.
Not that this has happened to me, it hasn't. But every time I remove someone else's work I am cautious. If there is a cut mark and you take the vinyl off in the wrong direction you could take paint or clearcoat off as well. And then you would have a wonderful chunky surface to put your fantastically beautiful design on. Yippee!

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Si, I would stick to a shop rate on the removal. Trying to quote a removal price up front can either make you or break you usually. With rivets, we'd get $9-10 a quare foot on something that size in the cut-throat California market.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 913 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenda Daley Giuseppin
Visitor
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Author's Homepage   Email Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for all your info. It's been very helpful. I'm not looking forward to the removal...trying to convince customer to pay some kids to do it! haha

--------------------
Ottawa Custom Signs
Stittsville, Ontario

Posts: 346 | From: Stittsville, ON | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Brenda,
Removal may not be as bad as you think. As mentioned in a recent post, there are many ways to remove vinyl. You just have to find the solution that works for you.
I was recently at a 3M wrap class where they touched on basic pricing. Although there are no specific formulas, they did give us an outline of what you may or may not need to charge for. Here's what they said was an average cost breakdown per square foot...
Design - $1.00
Film - $1.00
Overlaminate - 80¢
Ink - 30¢
Overhead - $3.00
Sales Commission - $1.00
Installation - $2.00
Removal - $2.00
Profit - $3.00
-----------------
Total $14.10

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get the steamer out Brenda.

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!