Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Microsoft VISTA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Microsoft VISTA
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone that has experienced problems with "dongle" controled programs?
I have heard rumors that the high end graphic programs are having fits with recognizing the dongle. Anyone have experience?/

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.
Berlin Center, Ohio 44401

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most are not supported yet.
Very few if any older driver driven (dongle) programs are supported yet..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Sharrard
Resident

Member # 388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Sharrard   Email Robin Sharrard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I just got a reply back from Roland, stating that they would not be providing any updated drivers for my PC-600 and that it was possible that the Windows XP drivers "May Work" under the Legacy feature in Vista but no guaranty, and no more support!

--------------------
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Sign
Fallon, Nevada
rds@phonewave.net
"Proud $$$ Supporter"

Posts: 282 | From: Fallon, Nevda, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here ya go..

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=399

also, the reason why so many vendors do not wish to support their old er stuff. Is because windows is charging high license fees to allow drivers to be installed into vista.. Geeses.. its out of hand.

[ February 09, 2007, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Curtis hammond ]

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Teveris
Visitor
Member # 2911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Teveris   Email Tony Teveris       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The UAC is a PITA. I've disabled it and everything operates fine. I'm running Vista 64 bit on a fairly new Dell Precision 670 and the only prblem so far are drivers that are NOT "signed". You can boot the OS and have the "signed" capability disabled and you MUST do this on every reboot though I hardly ever reboot or turn my computer off. My computer is dual bootable, XP Pro and Vista 64 so one thing I've learned is when I boot into XP all my Vista restore points are deleted and the only easy way around this is to not let XP see my Vista drive.

The next release of Omega 2.6 will support Vista 32 and maybe 64 bit. Our USB to parallel driver is not "signed" at the moment. The 64 bit OS operates much faster than the XP OS on the same hardware. I've had no problem running 32 bit applications in Vista but forget about those old 16 bit apps, they have seen their days.

I really see NO reason to upgrade to Vista (sorry Bill Gates). If you buy a new machine then I would consider it.

--------------------
Tony Teveris
Gerber Software Engr
South Windsor, CT

Posts: 92 | From: South Windsor, CT | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!