Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » The word/name escapes me???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The word/name escapes me???
William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Holohan   Email William Holohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pen and ink artists with a sense of humor would sometimes place names/faces/objects hidden within their artwork/drawings. I was recently given a fairly high res scan of a town seal to enlarge and colorize.
There is a large portion of pen and ink grass, a tree with squiggles representing leaves, and a stand of pine trees in the background. After scanning, printing, re-scanning to get a workable large size to clean up and colorize, I found a dog, rabbit, squirrel, a couple of names etc. hidden in these areas. The original was only three inches square, and without a magnifying glass, these objects were invisible.
Someone years ago told me about this artistic chicanery and mentioned the name for it. I can't remember what it was called. Anyone happen to know? It is driving me crazy. Old Geezer word loss at work.
By the way. I made a trip to the town hall of the town with my loupe in hand and asked if I might see a piece of official stationary with the town seal imprinted upon it. Upon close examination, there they were! Invisible to the naked eye. But there for all to see with a 10 power loupe.

[ January 02, 2007, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: William Holohan ]

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Resting...Read "Between Jobs."
Marlboro, MA 01752
email: firemap1@aol.com

Posts: 1110 | From: Marlboro, MA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jed Pedersen
Visitor
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jed Pedersen   Author's Homepage   Email Jed Pedersen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
subliminal, embedded, easter eggs?

--------------------
Jed Pedersen
Graphic Air
157W 300N
Malad, Idaho 83252

Posts: 166 | From: S.E. Idaho | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I call it fun! Don't know what the official name is.

As a pen and ink artist I hid many things in the drawings I did. Later when I adapted this same style to mural work on a much parger scale I continued the practice. I've hidden over 150 objects and names in a single mural.
Here's one example...

http://www.imaginationcorporation.ca/murals5.html

The mural I recently led in Lodi also had about 100 names hidden in it. Many were very obvious up close but from a normal viewing distance (like from a car) were not noticable.

It was great fun for all involved!

-grampa dan

[ January 02, 2007, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8740 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to letter the Okanagan Springs Beer trucks, which included their logo/label. My signwriter friend Al Graw used to come down to the Coast to do them with me..he started putting his kids names, dogs name into the "greekstyle" stuff in a portion of the label. Then it became standard practice! A new, refined label was later put into use, alas, no opportunity for any more fun!

then they sold to Sleemans, beer quality went down, full Digital Trucks appeared, ah, Progress!

John

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno what it's called either but early on, I was told to put something like that into ink sketches, so that if they were illegally duplicated by someone else later on, you could point out the hidden stuff to prove they were originally yours.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Holohan   Email William Holohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, you are the winner!!!...of what I'll have to decide later...The word was either memarkers (me markers)or mymarks (mymarks) I can't remember which. Too long ago. 50's 60's...

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Marlboro, MA 01752

Posts: 1110 | From: Marlboro, MA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey William,

I've heard em'called Easter Eggs before but not the Memarkers or MyMarks. Maybe someone with a few more murals under their belts will know for sure?

At the last couple of Walldog meets I was at we put in a few things here and there. That's the fun part. I was in Jacksonville, IL this past summer workin on my project and one of the locals asked were I was going to sign my name and I told him he'd never find it. It's there it's just not easy to find. Those things are a blast to come up with...just trying to fend off the "old timers" I reckon.

If you remember for sure let me know..it's be nice to put a proper name to my madness.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Dale,
This seal was drawn sometime after 1866, the year town was incorporated, but before 1868 when it first appeared on town documents. I doubt it was called an Easter Egg. I think Easter Eggs started
with the software business. I think they were first hidden in Adobe software products. Not sure of that though. I am taking it down to have it blown up to three feet (my printer only prints super tabloid 13x19) to see what else I can find. Hopefully the artists name is in there somwhere.
If my memory serves me well, I think I first heard about it/them in high school art class from Mr. Besnia my high school art teacher.

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Marlboro, MA 01752

Sue Brown
Visitor
Member # 6677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Brown   Email Sue Brown       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a bit off topic, but wanted to mention to Dan that i see that mural in 29 palms quite often on my way to our river vacation place (in parker az) and i just love that mural and all the other ones in that city.. I didnt know it was yours until last nite when i did a goggle search on the murals in that town..

--------------------
sue brown
american instant signs
pasadena, calif

Posts: 90 | From: southern california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Colley
Visitor
Member # 1245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Colley   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Colley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(((---photo not coming likeness close enough

This practice goes back hundreds if not thousands of years as long as there have been slave craftsmen they have left their mark. If you visit any English cathedral and meet with the curator they will show you all sorts hidden in the carvings.
I do indulge in this as well, when I spent a few years just painting pub pictorials we would always slip something in the picture just for a laugh or to see if people actually looked at the finished job. There are Roman soldiers and Jolly sailors wearing N*KE trainers,five legged horses, You could get away with it most of the time because the signs were 15 feet off the ground
Cheers Terry

--------------------
Terry Colley
The VintageSign Co
42 barrack hill Romiley Stockport
Cheshire, England sk6 3az
tel 0161 494 5089
terry@bullandbrush.fsnet.co.uk

Posts: 210 | From: England | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't recall the name of the process, but Al Hirschfeld became infamously well known for hiding the name of his daughter, Nina, in his New York Times' drawings.It got to be a ritual for readers.

The New York Times received a letter suggesting that Hirschfeld let them know how many Ninas they should look for in his drawings. Hirschfeld responded by including a number next to his name for the number of Ninas to be found in a drawing. When there was no number, it meant there was only one Nina to be found.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Got an email from a lurker here in Letterville She said she has always known them as "playfuls", a discription from her art scchool days.

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Marlboro, MA 01752

Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finding "Waldos'"

Embedded or Sublimitals..
[Roll Eyes] [Razz] [Cool] [Rolling On The Floor] [Group Hug]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Sanborn
Visitor
Member # 6772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Sanborn   Email Frank Sanborn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Rheaume:
I can't recall the name of the process, but Al Hirschfeld became infamously well known for hiding the name of his daughter, Nina, in his New York Times' drawings.It got to be a ritual for readers.

The New York Times received a letter suggesting that Hirschfeld let them know how many Ninas they should look for in his drawings. Hirschfeld responded by including a number next to his name for the number of Ninas to be found in a drawing. When there was no number, it meant there was only one Nina to be found.

Rapid

I remember reading about the "Nina's" in Hirschfelds drawings, and still look for them to this day whenever I see one of his caracachures (sp?). This morning I was looking at a drawing of Warren Zevon that he did and spent several minutes trying to find the "Nina".

--------------------
Frank Sanborn
Sanborn Signcrafters
Charlotte, Michigan

Posts: 10 | From: Charlotte, MI | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Playboy's been hiding the bunnie on cover of every issue for a long time now...

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still adding some "hidden" images in the Dixie Meet mural - it's scheduled for unveiling in April, so no telling what we'll have in there by then.

I read that the Navaho Indian weavers always hid one small error in their work because only the Gods were meant to be perfect.

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4117 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Sonny, they even hid the "J" from you, it's spelled "Navajo"...pronounced like a "h" though...

I have a 20's period Yaee from the four corners tribes and it's flawless, except for one errant thread, took forever to find and it's for the reason Sonny alluded, only God is perfect...

[ January 05, 2007, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Frank Magoo ]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magoo
You can always find a PlayBoy Bunny with her tat.. removed?

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Franks:
I read that the Navaho Indian weavers always hid one small error in their work because only the Gods were meant to be perfect.

...another long-time fan of Navajo weavings here, even before my 5 years in Santa Fe.

That stray thread is often called a "spirit Line" and whil I have often heard (& often quoted) the reference to it's being an acknowledgement of the imperfection of man...

...it is also considered an exit route for the spirit of the weaver, & the weavers creation, as mentioned HERE.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Dirkes
Visitor
Member # 1000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Dirkes   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Dirkes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We pulled these kind of things for years painting billboard pictorals. When the sales staff got in thr habit of bringing in the client to view the work in the shop we had to quit.

One of the last we did was for a MacNaughton(sp)
board. Painted a little guy sittin on a rock fishing. The first time I drove past the board on location it was toooo close to the road and was readily visible. I worried we might get in a little trouble, but nobody ever said anything.

--------------------
Bill Dirkes
Cornhole Art LLC
Bellevue, Ky.
Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

Posts: 591 | From: Bellevue,Ky. US | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!