Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Where to buy PC Memory Cheap! How about video cards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to buy PC Memory Cheap! How about video cards
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is there a good source for PC Memory? I think I'll just get 1gig more for now. I believe I need PC3200. I know I have to add two sticks at a time and it's 184 pin. Anything else I need to know?

Is this video card good enough for using CorelDraw and Paint? I don't play games:
ATI RADEON 9550 256MB DDR AGP Graphics Card

Thanks.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always had good luck with Tiger Direct Amy.

Edited to add..be sure to stick them in in alternate sockets.

[ December 27, 2006, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8883 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy check out

http://www.pricewatch.com

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerdirect.com is great if you can wait a couple of weeks. They put the stuff on sale for next to nothing every few weeks. Of course there's the obligatory "mail in rebate" but Tiger let's you apply online then mail in the receipts. They'll post the money to your account in a couple of days. I think I had my last rebate two weeks after placing the order.

Your video card is about 6 generations newer than the one I'm running and mine does the job so yours should be more than enough.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Index.hmx

Very Competitive Pricing.. No Shipping Games and they usally have eveything in stock.. AND a Biggy.. I have never had a problem returning something if its messed up or even if I had screwed up.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J.T. Gazaway
Visitor
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J.T. Gazaway   Author's Homepage   Email J.T. Gazaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a pretty good middle-of-the-road video card (depending on what you're doing with it)
http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9550/index.html
Geeks.com is also a good place to look for computer parts along with all sorts of electronic gadgetry.

--------------------
J.T. Gazaway
J.T. Graphic Design
www.jt-graphicdesign.com
jt@jt-graphicdesign.com

Posts: 254 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys for the info. and links.

As for the video card, will I notice a difference adding the above mentioned 256K card since I currently have a 64K card? I just want to speed this thing up a bit. Just added a 200G hard drive as my 60G was full. Moved a bunch of that junk over to the new one. I know that will boost performance a bit.

Thanks again!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul McDowell
Visitor
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul McDowell   Author's Homepage   Email Paul McDowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A better video card will not likely increase your performance unless you are experiencing issues with your current card. You could get a side benefit of being able to run two monitors or at a higher resolution though.

If you dont want these features it would be better to invest in more or faster Ram.

--------------------
Paul McDowell
7 Hills Signs
Virginia

Posts: 84 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Paul,

I just got a 22" LCD for Christmas. Will it help with that any? Thanks for the reply.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your monitor has DVI input and you use a card with DVI output, it will give you a bit better performance than using the VGA connection. Hardly noticeable.

Having memory on the card will help out a little with the speed.

More RAM will give you the most noticeable gain, but you'll get used to it fast.

One of my computers has a 9550 in it, and it's buggy, but I had a different ATI card in it and I'm not so sure the drivers all got sorted out properly and I haven't had time to investigate it completely. It's actually the second one I put in it as the first 9550 was bad out of the box. Now the 9800 I have is great, but they don't make it anymore.

Your new hard drive will probably speed you up some since it's probably faster than your old one and also since you'll be starting fresh, so keep it defragmented to keep that better performance.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion you are looking into buying an agp video card that is about 10-11 steps back and not what I would concider a sweet spot for purchasing(best bang for your buck). Now I am sure it would work for you but it may not be your best spent money. I just bought the ati X1600 agp with 512mb and from what I can see this card would be a better choice if the rest of your hardware is tops and current. I do question this how old is your system and what motherboard and cpu do you have and what wattage power supply do you have. If these things are not good then save your coin and buy a new system.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Well I bought and installed the 9550 and I'm taking it back today. Looked really bad and blurry with limited resolutions available. My other one is much better and I did not notice any speed change. I'm gonna order the RAM.

My computer is a little over 3 years old. Dell Precision 360; Pentium 4 2.4GHz/800 FSB; 512K FullSpeed Cache; 1 Gig Ram (333MHz, Double Data Rate); 64M Nvidia Quadro NVS 280 Video Card.

I don't know what the power supply is. It's so closed in I can't tell.

Is 333Mhz and PC3200 RAM the same?

Thanks again everyone. It's been years since I've worked on computers and frankly I don't miss it at all!!!

Happy New Year!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Paul McDowell
Visitor
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul McDowell   Author's Homepage   Email Paul McDowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 333 Ram is PC2700

but the PC3200 (400mhz) is compatable (and faster) according to Dell. At nearly $200 it isnt going to be worth the cost over 2700 though.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A0742814

I dont think there is anything else cost effective to speed up your computer. The only thing I see is possibly replacing the processor and I dont know what your motherboard is prepared to recognize.

--------------------
Paul McDowell
7 Hills Signs
Virginia

Posts: 84 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy....you have to use DDR RAM in pairs!

Call PartsPc.com at 866-427-9283

They will guide you thru what you need.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!