Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Problem with Signtools3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problem with Signtools3
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Koehn   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Koehn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody use Signtool3 three to drive their plotter? Every couple of times that I send a job to my cutter it locks up signtools, then I restart it and it will cut a job or two and do it again.

Any suggestions?

[ December 04, 2006, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Blake Koehn ]

--------------------
Art that sells.

There is joy in the journey.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341
admin@prodigitalsupply.com

Posts: 493 | From: Macon, Ms | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i tried their "demo" in my corel 7(that far back)it messed the contour feature up so bad, removin sign tools demo didnt help. had to wipe h/d and reinstall corel and all other programs.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have Signtools 2- the full version- and it was fine. You couldn't plot from it though.
Sometimes demos are a different kettle of fish though...

Isn't Andrew a merchant here?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Koehn   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Koehn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not complaining about sign tools, it is cool plugin... It just has one small problem.

--------------------
Art that sells.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341

Posts: 493 | From: Macon, Ms | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought it a long time ago and now don't even bother putting it on a new or re-formatted computer. contour never worked properly. The text was bigger then pop up windows so I could never totally read it...it just kinda ran off the side.

It had some cool stuff and when I contracted the maker they got back with me quickly but I could never get the problems resolved.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

All of you need to download the latest demo. Whatever problems they had earlier, they have fixed.

I use it every day, it makes short work out of things like shadows, outlines, multiple copies and weed borders. I even use it to drive my plotter. It cuts correctly every time and I like the wysiswyg principle that cuts out all the extra steps. The only thing I dislike is that it freaks out after the plot and must be restarted.

Andrew is a merchant here and he has returned my email quickly, however we have not gotten the problem solved yet. I was wondering if it did it for different plotters or just because I am using a piece of @#$% Vinyl Express.

--------------------
Art that sells.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341

Andrew Gourvelos
Visitor
Member # 1425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew Gourvelos   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Gourvelos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Blake,
I assume that you tried uninstalling CorelDraw, deleting the Corel Directory and re-installing the CorelDraw, before re-installing SignTools. Also does your Vinyl Express (Lynx) cutter give you any errors on the control panel. If so what is the exact error?

At the end of a cut SignTools 3 sends a reset command to the cutter. Perhaps your cutter doesn't like it for some reason. To establish whether this may be the problem, try manually resetting the cutter between plots. You may have to turn the machine off and back on. If this works let me know I will look into writing a new configuration file.

Laura and Joe, since both of you have used SignTools ( full version and demo ) we have fixed the glitches. I recommend that you both try the latest demo version which can be downloaded from the following link:-

http://www.asigns.com/signtools_demo.htm

Also follow the step-by-step setup instructions for your cutter.

http://www.asigns.com/signtools_cutter_setup.htm

Laura, you will be able to activate the demo version with your current SignTools serial number.

--------------------
Andrew Gourvelos
A Signs
Sydney, NSW,
Australia

Posts: 104 | From: Sydnet, NSW Australia | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no cheap upgrade from version 2 to 3 is there Andrew?
The version 2 I have had a floppy disc with it to make it work with Corel 7 Select Edn. and a book/booklet of all that was in the program.

Actually, does version 2 work with WinXP, or Corel 12? I was using it under Win98se and I haven't tried since then.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew Gourvelos
Visitor
Member # 1425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew Gourvelos   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Gourvelos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian,
SignTools 2 will not work with Windows XP or CorelDraw 12. The good news is the upgrade price is only $185 AUD ($145 USD).

To upgrade click on this link http://www.asigns.com/signtools_upgrade.htm

Also here is a list of the improvements and new features in SignTools 3.

New Tools

1. Relief Outline - Creates an outline around an object that has a relief space between the outline and the object.
2. Relief Outline & Shade - Creates an outline & drop shade around an object that has a relief space between the outline & shade and object.
3. Emboss - Created an appearance that the lettering or object is embossed out of the background.
4. Vinyl Saver - A powerful nesting tool that optimizes your files to use less vinyl.
5. Auto Numbering - Creates consective numbers quickly and easily. Has many options including:- Choice of Font, Size, Weedbox, Place horintally or vertically, etc.
6. Cut - Direct cutting from the SignTools menu. No need to export files or place hairline outlines to get the objects to cut. Design in full color, with or without outlines.

Enhanced Tools

1. Descriptive Text - Comes with an extra 50 templates to choose from as well an an option for single color effect.
2. Price Formattor - Comes with new templates.
3. Rego Marks - Now has the option for 2 or 4 rego marks as well as an option to place them inside the object(s).
4. Color Seperator - Now has the ability to select the colors that you require. Also now names the pages by color.
5. Weedbox - Now has the option to apply an individual weedbox each object objects with one click.
6. Stripe Effect - New options including a choice of Horizontal, Verticle or Angled stripes. Also on Horizontal stripes you can now choose starting and ending points.

New Interface

SignTools 3 has a new floating interface. It is now interactive and has a look that is both modern and helpful to the user. When you place your curser over a SignTools button it shows you the look of the effect. This can save you much time when deciding which shade or decoration to choose. It can also help you remember exactly what a specific tool is used for.

--------------------
Andrew Gourvelos
A Signs
Sydney, NSW,
Australia

Posts: 104 | From: Sydnet, NSW Australia | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Holden
Visitor
Member # 5653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Holden   Email Ken Holden       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bridge corel 10 to an old pnc-1000 Roland
plotter with Signtools 3. After the last fix
for win xp, it has been very reliable.

My only complaint is it takes forever to cancel
a job if vinyl happens to snag. I don't know
where the problem lies but I can lose up to
a half hour.

Ken

--------------------
Ken Holden
7 Oaks Signs
18457 Hwy 22
Ponchatoula, LA 70454

Posts: 144 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew Gourvelos
Visitor
Member # 1425

Ken,
When the "vinyl happens to snag", I would suggest that you delete the print job, then turn off your cutter for 3 seconds before turning it back on.

--------------------
Andrew Gourvelos
A Signs
Sydney, NSW,
Australia

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Andrew, I've had the same issue as Ken (without Signtools), and even after a 2 minute break of being off, the plotter wants to continue the mess it began. It seems weird. It can take ages & ages to clear the job from the Printers queue in the computer.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Andrew Gourvelos
Visitor
Member # 1425

Ian and Ken,
The reason for it occuring is that plotters have a battery and there is still data in the buffer. If your plotter has a "clear buffer" or "reset memory" option, you should be able to stop it by choosing the option. I can't remember whether the Roland PNC-1000 has it as an option, but most quality plotters that are less than 10 years old do. For more information refer to your plotter's user manual.

--------------------
Andrew Gourvelos
A Signs
Sydney, NSW,
Australia

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found the best way to cancel on the older Rolands (PNC-1000, etc.) is to just turn off the machine if things go awry... then I pop up the printer queue and cancel the job there. It won't go away instantly but it will say "Cancelling."

When I turn the printer back on, load and size the material, it will attempt to start cutting again... as soon as it starts moving to cut, I turn it off again for a few seconds, turn it back on, hit the button again.. it may do this 2 or 3 times but finally it will quit, the job will disappear out of the queue and you can start over...

I have CoCut and I remember waiting for about 10-15 minutes for the PNC-1000 to cancel a job before I figured out that little sequence...

Hope it helps.....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

JOn, that's what I do too- thanks- I was hoping someone may have known a quicker "software control solution" !

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Ken Holden
Visitor
Member # 5653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Holden   Email Ken Holden       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jon, I'll try that.

Ken

--------------------
Ken Holden
7 Oaks Signs
18457 Hwy 22
Ponchatoula, LA 70454

Posts: 144 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using signtools for years and I have only praise for it. I have learned that you need to leave it begin the process of cutting before trying to continue in Corel. I have used it in Corel 8,9,12 and now XP and it's always been stable.

Andrew has been quick to respond to any call for help from me when changing computer or the like. he even phoned me in Ireland from Australia Once! there's Service!! [Smile]

Karen, The signtools software is simply a series of corel scripts telling Corel what to do. Some people cut straight from Corel. So the contour tool in signtools is only going to be as good as the contour tool in Corel.

Blake, Do you try to use the computer too quickly after sending the command to cut. in case you do just leave the plotter get started before doing anything else on the puter.

hope that helps

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew Gourvelos
Visitor
Member # 1425

Miles,
Thank you for the kind words. You are right about waiting until the plotter starts cutting before the continueing to use the computer.

--------------------
Andrew Gourvelos
A Signs
Sydney, NSW,
Australia

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!