Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » My new paint kit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My new paint kit
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I am not a snapper, or a pin head, I admired several kit that I saw while at the Circus this fall. I remembered that my father had a couple in his garage and asked about them explaining what I had seen. He gave me one. [Wink]

Here's what I got.

-

-

Now I need advice. The covering is a fabric. The whole box is covered with mildew and the corner braces are rusted. Most of the parts are screwed on. Should I just start dis-assembling and cleaning or is there a better way?

What should I use to preserve the wood? Should I keep the rusted parts and polish them or try to find new ones.

Ready to begin here in my little basement.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just clean it and use it as is. Maybe fix the handle. I love to see well used old equipment still in use.
Or sell it to me!

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not a chance. There's a tag on the inside :Firth-Sterling Steel Company".

[ November 30, 2006, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Mike Faig ]

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, that is a really neat old kit! You said your dad had a couple in his garage. Was he a sign painter too? What a family heirloom that is!!!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good to me just the way it is....just needs a few signatures here and there.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David O'Hanlon
Visitor
Member # 2754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David O'Hanlon   Author's Homepage   Email David O'Hanlon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an Engineers Kit. Those drawer fronts look like silky oak. Do a little research onto it before you get into it. It may be worth more cleaned up than restored.

--------------------
Army Dave
Oz

Posts: 229 | From: Brisbane, Oz | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silky Oak is a peculiarly aussie tree (grevillia robusta), Dave, but you're right about the oak flecks. It could be french or english oak or any other oak in common use over there.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that sure is nice wood on the drawer fronts. I hope you can make use of it.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Peach
Resident

Member # 2620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Peach   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an old machinists box for my kit. I used Formby`s refinisher to clean and protect the finish. The old rusted hardware buffed up nicely. I `d remove the fabric and stain and finish the outside of the box. New handles and mounting hardware are available from Gerstner. I epoxied the inside of the brush drawers to make them leakproof so brush oil wouldn`t get on supplies in other drawers.

--------------------
Bob & Marcia Peach
Peach Signs Inc
Sandwich, MA
rpeach9828@aol.com

Posts: 1020 | From: Sandwich, MA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Top of the morning, Heads. Washed the front panel in just water and like the results. Need to get rid of the mildew smell if I can without damaging anything. [I Don t Know]

John, I like your suggestion to just clean it and use it.

Bobbie, Dad never was a sign painter, but he did work in a machine shop at NCR. His other box was a gift from his grandfather. It still has Great Grampa's tools in it. There is so much stuff in there you can hardly open the drawers.

Russ, have no fear. I'll put it to good use.

Hey Bob, the felt in the drawers is pretty nasty, I think if I can get it out, I'll epoxy.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I am going to enjoy this new project.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see a pic when you are done cleaning it up!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would disassemble the box. Wash all the wood with a Lysol solution. This will kill the mildew. Let dry throughly.

Those vinyl coverings always seemed to breed mildew. Have no clue as to why. Maybe because it traps the moisture in...

Use a small putty knife to scrape the felt out. You might try soaking some kind of solvent like mineral spirits in the drawer to soften up the crap in it.

Wear gloves. Mildew is a stink that will be a bugger to get off your hands. Man, I hate that smell.

Personally, I would paint the outside black and leave the drawers a natural color with a clearcoat of Varathane, etc.

Good luck with that!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6454 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Colley
Visitor
Member # 1245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Colley   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Colley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(((---Photo Not Coming likeness close enough

I with Bruce strip the vinyl off then paint it black, the oak on the drawers will come up well too.
I am currently without a kit the last one RUNNOFT at the Sign Circus in Dixie however a letter to santa for a sheet of quarter ply has been posted and the new kit will hopefully be made in the new year
Always have had a strange obsession with toolboxes.If you need any inspiration the Toolbox Book by Taunton press is a good read
Cheers Terry

--------------------
Terry Colley
The VintageSign Co
42 barrack hill Romiley Stockport
Cheshire, England sk6 3az
tel 0161 494 5089
terry@bullandbrush.fsnet.co.uk

Posts: 210 | From: England | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Thanks Terry. I was wondering if I'd hear from you on this.You have inspired me. Yeah, and I love the brushes. And your pic looks remarkably like mine.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Maybe you could post a "Dapper" likeness. I've said my piece and counted to 3.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

-

After some trial & error, here is the case. Turns out tap water was all that was needed to dissolve the glues holding the felt in the drawers and fabric to the outside. Let it soak for a few minutes and used a plastic lil' chisler to scrape. I didn't use any stain, just 2 coats of polyurethane. All I need now is a handle and a key for the original lock. All pieces were re-used with the exception of 1 drawer bottom and it was broken.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice.

I'll give ten bucks for it... OK, twenty. [Wink]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6454 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a feeling that would turn out cool.

That looks GREAT! Good job Mike.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had one just like it when I was in the trade.Nice job Mike.

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks great Mike!

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a real thing of beauty!!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its beautiful, see what happens with a little elbow grease [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Mike...now you need to bring it to a meet and let people and paint names all over it!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Peach
Resident

Member # 2620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Peach   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Mike!

--------------------
Bob & Marcia Peach
Peach Signs Inc
Sandwich, MA
rpeach9828@aol.com

Posts: 1020 | From: Sandwich, MA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's beautiful Mike, and I bet your Dad is digging it too........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4117 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks great Mike!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancie W. Phillips
Resident

Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancie W. Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Nancie W. Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! That's plum purty!

--------------------
Nancie W. Phillips
White Dove Painting Studio
74 Dacula Road,
Dacula, GA 30019
678-887-3339

www.nanciephillips.com

"Three words describe life...'It goes on'"- Robert Frost

Posts: 919 | From: Metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There ain't no paint on it [I Don t Know] ....Oh its for your squeegees [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool, Mike!

((Jake, you still have to be careful... sometimes you get those little scraps of vinyl pieces stuck on your box, it can be quite tedious to peel them off...))

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

oops...my bad

[ March 23, 2007, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: jake snow ]

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I send you mine to clean up????? [Wink]

Nice job!

Joe,

Makin Chips and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Colley
Visitor
Member # 1245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Colley   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Colley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(((---Photo not comung likeness close enough

Nice job you have done there Mike. I have started on the new kit this week to replace the one given away at the Dixie Circus, lots of drawers and other stuff built in to this one ,it will be my best and last kit that I make, given 3 away to date , thats enough!
Cheers Terry

--------------------
Terry Colley
The VintageSign Co
42 barrack hill Romiley Stockport
Cheshire, England sk6 3az
tel 0161 494 5089
terry@bullandbrush.fsnet.co.uk

Posts: 210 | From: England | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Thanks everybody. Dad did say he was proud and he thanks all of you for your nice comments. He did not ask for it back, yet. But when he does, maybe he'll trade me for the other one and I can do it all over again.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks really cool Mike. Makes me want to trade my Craftsman steel box in for an ole wooden one. I have an old carpenters chest that was my grandfathers in original condition with some finish tools too. My dad was born in 1913 so its pretty old.

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely done Mike. That's a great looking kit there.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4356 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!