Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Roland ColorCamm PC600 Printer/Cutter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Roland ColorCamm PC600 Printer/Cutter
Harvie Loomis
Resident

Member # 1635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harvie Loomis   Email Harvie Loomis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sign shop near here is selling their 3 year old Roland ColorCamm PC600. They are going out of business. The machine is in excellent condition. I am looking into getting a printer/cutter and wonder if any of you have any experience with this machine. I do know the PC600 is no longer being made, but parts, supplies, and Roland's Help Line are still available. Your thoughts please.

Thank you in advance.

--------------------
Harvie Loomis
Loomis Signs
76 Cortright Hill Road
Newark Valley, NY 13811
(607)642-8616
tozrox@frontiernet.net

Posts: 47 | From: Newark Valley, NY 13811 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd pass... the pc600 wasn't a particularly successful machine for Roland and might indeed be a contributing factor in thier 'going out of business'. Print costs per sq./ft were high, print quality wasn't particularly good, and it wasn't fast.

If you think you have a market for print/cut look at a new versacamm, entry prices aren't that high, you will have support, and printing costs per sq ft is low. These are the machines that you will compete with, entry price is only one factor in total cost of ownership.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott Doherty
Visitor
Member # 6966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Doherty   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Doherty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Roland Colorcamm PC 60 - everything Mike said jives with my experience.
I would not recommend it either. Also if the printhead needs replacement, it becomes even pricier.

--------------------
Scott Doherty
heronview@jam21.net

Bear Pass Graphics
PO Box 687, Fort Frances, Ontario
Bus 807-481-9944 Mobile 807-275-9034

Posts: 4 | From: Fort Frances, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenda Daley Giuseppin
Visitor
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Author's Homepage   Email Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely agree as well. The PC 60 or 600 are less expensive machine to purchase, however the expense to run and maintain is a greater expense than the cost of purchasing a versacamm. The versacamm machines are much less per sq ft than the thermal printers. The quality of print on the 60 or 600 machines are not all that great either!!

--------------------
Ottawa Custom Signs
Stittsville, Ontario

Posts: 346 | From: Stittsville, ON | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Burris
Resident

Member # 3570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Burris   Email Bill Burris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here have a PC-60, I don't dislike it I HATE it.Seems that Roland makes beleive they never made it. Could give complaints but not enough room or time here.

--------------------
Burris Custom Painting
203 Brown St.
Tewksbury,Ma. 01876

Posts: 96 | From: Tewksbury, Ma 01879 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy W. Robarge
Visitor
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy W. Robarge   Author's Homepage   Email Randy W. Robarge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here. I own a PC-60. First head went a few years ago. I replaced it and was "re-educated" with the proper cleaning methods.

Earlier this year, the head went again. And I kept this thing as clean as humanly possible (or so I thought).

Roland wasn't too bad about it. They acknowledged the machine was crappy (but "good" for it's time - I disagree). They offered me a trade-in to a Versacamm if I desired. I declined as it is still quite a bit of funds to part with.

I basically use my PC-60 just as a plotter and farm out my printing.

--------------------
Randy
Graphic Details
Promotional Merchandise Distributor
South Glens Falls, NY

Posts: 381 | From: South Glens Falls, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i owned one for less than 2 weeks, bought it brand new, and just about had a heart attack when i did a true cost analysis of what it was costing us to run...given that realization with the mediocre print quality i am very thankful i was able to get back what i paid for the machine...less the amount we blew on cartridges....

do not walk away from this deal RUN imo

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!