Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Magnetic Signs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnetic Signs
Michael Grant
Visitor
Member # 4896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Grant   Email Michael Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a customer that wants a couple of magnetic signs to put on his vehicle and this is a first for me. He wants two 1' x 2' magnetic signs. Actually, I thought about ordering a couple extras making it a total of 4. Should I order a piece 1' x 8' and cut these myself and can I or just order four 1'x 2's. And what grade or thickness should I order and from whom? I am in san diego. Can I cut material with utility knife? Approximate how much cost for material? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

--------------------
Michael Grant
Mike Grant Signs
2140 Glasgow Ave.
Cardiff, CA. 92007
mgrant@nethere.com

Posts: 29 | From: San Diego, CA. | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Mike,
Check with your supplier to see how they sell their magnetic materials. Normally it's sold by the roll, and the typical roll is 24" x 10' or 25'. However, some distributors are starting to sell blanks too.
The thickness of the material varies by the use and the manufacturer. A thickness of 25 to 30 mil is normally considered good for vehicles.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, magnetic material can easily be cut with a utility knife. We usually round the corners on magnetics, and scissors work great for that.

I don't do the ordering, so I'm not sure of prices, but the roll we get is 24.5" wide, and probably 25' long.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce & Deb Newton   Email Bruce & Deb Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

Montroy (1-800-733-1006) in San Diego sells 30 mil 24" wide magnetic material by the foot. Cheaper when you buy the full roll, and it won't go bad sitting on the shelf. They deliver five days a week, usually 2 runs a day.

Sign-Mart (1-800-533-9099) will sell half rolls, 24" x 25' for $56.95 - full roll $89.95 - by the foot is $4.00. Or you can buy it pre-cut to 12" x 24" with rounded corners for $3.29 per. They are located in Orange and deliver to San Diego on Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

When you order tell them it's because of Letterville and they should be here as a merchant and monitoring posts like these.

Bruce

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Posts: 126 | From: San Marcos, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beware of buying a full roll of 30 mil magnetic!
They are HEAVY!

Unless you use lots and lots of it, the $25 you save isn't worth the hernia!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I talk more people out of magnetics than I sell. Most of them want permanent signs that can be removed down the road a year or two - and magnetics are NOT what they need. Make sure you tell them that they must remove and clean the vehicle surface as well as the back of the signs on a regular basis, or they might find that the signs will destroy the surface.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure what you get is the automotive quality, not the fridge-magnet quality which won't hold up on a car.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let your customer know that if they don't remove them regularaly moisture can build up behind and cause rust on the vehicle doors. Also if they are not always on the vehicle store them flat. The side of a fridge is always good.

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of magnetic signs...I just made 11 sets that are 12" X 24". What is the best way for my customer to store them until he uses them?
The manufacturers pamphlet said not to store them magnet to magnet. Right now he has them stacked on top of each other. What is the best way to store them? Customer doesn't have the space to spread them out.
Thanks,
Judy

[ October 24, 2006, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Judy Pate ]

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy....on the sides of his file cabinets!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can buy Magnum Magnetic material either by the roll or by the foot from N. Glantz & Son.
A 24˝" x 25' roll is just over $100 last time I bought one.
It's about $2 a foot from Glantz.
I sell at least two sets of 12"x24" mags a month.
Do provide your customer with proper care instructions.
(feel free to copy and paste mine)
quote:
Surface Preparation
Make sure that both the surface where the magnet is to be applied and the plain brown magnetic side of the sheet are free of moisture, dirt, dust & foreign particles. Avoid use on non-metallic body fillers, simulated wood grain siding or repainted surfaces and new vehicle finishes which contain uncured paint.

In car and truck sheet applications it is recommended that the vehicle be well waxed and some rare applications may require the use of simple baby powder on the plain brown magnetic side for best results.

Magnetic Sheet Application
Before applying the magnetic sheet, make sure it has been allowed to warm to room temperature. The temperature of the metallic surface should be above freezing but not hot.

To apply, allow one edge of the magnetic sheeting to contact the metallic surface to the desired point. The remaining portion of the sheet should then be allowed to magnetically adhere itself to the magnetic surface.

To reposition the magnet do not attempt to pull it into place, this may cause stretching. Simply remove the entire magnetic sheet and again begin the procedure. It is important to make sure the magnetic sheet is applied in a smooth, lay-flat fashion.

Avoid sharp contours and do not attempt to position the magnetic sheet over vehicle mouldings or chrome strips. The entire magnetic sheet must be well adhered to the metallic surface to avoid any air pockets.

Maintenance & Cleaning
It is common for moisture to collect between the magnetic sheet and the magnetic surface. It is most important that the magnetic sheet be removed at least once a week (less often in winter as magnetic may tear) and both the metallic surface and the magnetic sheet be wiped free of moisture.

Extra caution should be exercised with new vehicle finishes. Failure to do so may result in damage to metallic surface or loss of the magnet sheet at highway speeds. For cleaning, use a soft cloth, warm water and a mild detergent.

Storage
To protect the magnetic sheet from damage while not in use, store on any metallic object such as a fridge or toolbox. This ultimately will be of help when the time comes to re-attach the magnetic sheet. Do not leave in a hot vehicle as warping may occur.

Jill’s Custom Signs is not responsible for replacement of lost or stolen magnetic signs.

I charge $99/set. Bear in mind that Kinkos sells these for about $30/set.
I do try to upsell shaped mags, or permanent vehicle lettering, but I'm not too proud to sell magnetic signs.
love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharon O'Brien-Lykins
Visitor
Member # 5723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharon O'Brien-Lykins   Author's Homepage   Email Sharon O'Brien-Lykins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
curious about something. If they aren't supposed to be stored magnet on top of magnet, then how is that different from the roll of magnetic material where it is wrapped around itself?

I recently bought a roll of material from my regular supplier and customers are complaining they are falling right off their cars. I have to find out now if their cars are composit (less steel in the doors) or if my material is not magnetized enough.

In reading online I came across this website: www.razormagnetics.com ... reads like hype and only 15mil thick, but they guarantee it for 365 days and tested it on a Ferrari. I called to ask some questions and got a woman with a very thick accent who was only there to take my order and not answer questions. She said I'd have to email the company itself.

--------------------
Sharon O'Brien-Lykins
HorseDesigns.Com
PO Box 1898
Penn Valley CA 95946
horsedesigns@gmail.com

Posts: 43 | From: Penn Valley, California | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Wade
Visitor
Member # 6504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Wade   Author's Homepage   Email Charlie Wade       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do a fair amount of magnetic signs too. Another thing to warn the customers about is cold weather. Here in New England, I've seen magnetic signs get so cold and brittle in the winter that they break if accidentally dropped!

--------------------
charlie wade
impact expressions
hopkinton, ma

Posts: 16 | From: Hopkinton, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Bendel found the sure fire way to keep mags on:

http://www.letterhead.com/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/44778.html?

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!