Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Joke photo saves the day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Joke photo saves the day
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both of our companies were audited yesterday by the tax man. No problem as Janis keeps immaculate books and we have nothing to hide.

Even so there is always the chance we have interpreted some aspect of the tax law wrong or somehow missed something. Audits in my book are up there with going to visit a dentist. They can be just as painful.

Sure enough he came across one item in his search which meant we were short on the tax we had remitted. The large rusty steel sign we had built last year was built as a labor only project with our customer supplying the materials. Since they had a large truck and a forklift at the other end they decided they would also pick up and install it. My carefully crafted invoice reflected that deal. And I had mistakenly thought since we were supplying labor only it meant the sign was exempt from sales tax.

Apparently not. It wasn't a massive amount but it was still a fair chunk of change.

When he questioned it I thought back to the project and remembered we had after all delivered and installed the sign ourselves, meaning it was exempt from tax. Our customer delayed picking up the sign and eventually we decided to deliver and install it ourselves to get it out of our way. I also wanted some good pictures of the sign installed so I could enter it in the upcoming Signs of the Times annual contest. But how to PROVE it to the tax man when the paperwork proved otherwise??

Then I remembered the goofy heavily altered photo I had posted here as a spoof of our small truck overloaded with the sign. The picture had been photo shopped to make the steel sign look MUCH HEAVIER than it really was. A tattered copy was stuck on our bulletin board which I showed him.

-

He also asked to see a picture of the sign installed... and I just happened to have one - printed in Signs of the Times magazine as a winning entry in this year's contest.

The tax man shook my hand congratulating us on our first place award. He also accepted the photos as proof that we did indeed install the sign - contrary to what the paperwork said.

The rest of the audit went smoothly and at the end we owed no extra tax.

The feeling was just like coming away from the dentist, with no cavities!

grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Rolling On The Floor] [Applause]
Didn't he once question how you DROVE with such a HEAVY sign in the back of the truck?!!! 'Cause that picture is priceless!!

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, what he didn't tell you was that he is forwarding the photos on to the RCMP, LOL. It'll be so nice to meet you at the Dixie meet, gramps.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work Dan and Janis...those audits can really be a pain. Laurie keeps good records too.
Now...did Ricky say you're going to Dixie???? If so I'll pack some extra Signdogs and mark your bags...and your rental car and your portfolio and your camera...hehehehe.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4354 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd LOVE to go to Dixie... but sadly its not in the cards this year... sorry!

I'm sure I haven't YET found all the Dawg stickers from the last meet here at the ranch... still lookin and laughing each time I locate one.

We had put a jack under the front of the truck to lift it up... and also adjusted things a little in Photoshop as well as removed the jack. THe funny part is I no longer had a copy of the original picture... so this one had to do.

Have fun in Dixie!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what did the tax man say about 15 visits to Disney World as a tax deductible educational trip?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tax man thought our EDUCATIONAL trips to Disney World, Disneyland, California, Disneyland Paris & Disneyland Tokyo were just fine. He expressed a desire to come along next time. And besides... we've only been to Disney World 4 times... so far.

Before he came to do the audit he had taken a GOOD look at our web site to get a better idea of the nature of our business. He was looking forward to the visit with great anticipation. He LOVED the studio which is where we did the audit.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only you Dan, could get all pumped up and cheery about having the tax man visit. Your one of a kind for sure...I suppose you put a signdog sticker on his laptop...I knew those things would come back to bite me [Bash]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4354 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awaiting the report from Dawggie when the tax man arrives at his place. [Big Grin]

Keep him busy Duncan..wear him out..don't need that screwing another time.

Last time was in the 70's...6 months of purgatory...and I was found to be clean..but what a bunch of bull crap to have to go through just to show that yer honest..

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8886 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kistler
Visitor
Member # 4049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kistler   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kistler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had that experience myself a couple of years ago. We are close to the Michigan state line so we do a lot of business over the border. Had a customer that buys a couple thousand dollars of signs per year and picks them up here. Some where along the line they changed the law that if the customer picks them up at your facility it becomes the same as an Indiana sale. Didn't come out as clean as you Dan, there were a couple of other smaller clients too, they went back three years and by adding penalties and interest handed me a bill for 3600.00. OUCH! [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Robert M. Kistler
South Bend Screen Process, Inc.
2018 S. Franklin St.
South Bend IN 46613

Posts: 131 | From: South Bend Indiana | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!