Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » SignCraft Article from Jan/Feb

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SignCraft Article from Jan/Feb
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a meet last weekend in NH @ Karyn Bushs' place. It was a great meet. While I was there I had the priviledge of meeting a remarkable fellow by the name of Mike Z. Mike had a panel he was working on that used a technique called Doming. (I hope I spelt that correctly, its pronounced dome-ing.) As I was talking to him about the in's and out's of this great technique it kept nagging at me that I had seen it before, but I just couldn't pin it down as to where. Today at lunch I finally sat down to re-read my Jan/Feb issue of SignCraft and [Applause] low and behold is a fantastic article by Steve Kafta on this technique. Now Mike had been using this stuff for quite some time I think, and he was using it on vinyl for vehicles as well as printed stickers. Is anyone else using this stuff? I'm calling to get some. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. [Smile]

[ September 29, 2006, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Deri Russell ]

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't tried yet, but ordered the "Try It" kit here.http://rdsacuflow.com/acudome/

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1126 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got it ordered from Canadian Signcrafters. And it comes with instructions. But I was just wanting to talk to some more people with a little more experience in this stuff, because it might save me time, money and a whole lot of frustration.
And not necessarily in that order.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray MacDonald
Visitor
Member # 3558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murray MacDonald   Email Murray MacDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deri, you were travelling with a guy who knows all about it! Give Rodger a call.
MUR

--------------------
Murray MacDonald
OldTime Signs
529 Third Ave S
Kenora, ON.
P9N 1Y3
oldtimesigns@gokenora.com

Posts: 781 | From: Kenora, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rodger just sandblasted a sign for me this week and put doming on it. Here is what it looked like before painting. The domed parts will be gilded. He definitely is the man to talk to.

-

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike got me into the whole dome thing a few years ago. A few things i ran into that could be worth noting...

Make sure the table you do the work on is level, if not your decals will end up drying lopsided.

The resin definetly has a shelf life, so don't stock up.

occasionaly for some reason the resin doesn't mix well and will bubble up Actually it really only happened on chrome or SignGold.

applying the gel to the lettering takes a bit of getting use to, mike usually ads a thin outline onto the lettering that has a rounded corner, just to make it easier, another trick is, to use the fine detail tips to 'dot' the resin into the corners, then fill the rest of the stroke.

once you get the hango f it, you can really do some cool tricks with it. over chrome or gold it adds facets and makes it really bling, then there is the trick Mike likes is doing monochrome stuff, like black on black, or white on white etc... gives it a cool embossed look.

If you notice, nowadays alot of car manufacturers are cutting the logo in chrome vinyl and doming it instead of doing a real metal chrome emblem.

[ September 29, 2006, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: captain ken ]

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my first doming job. In the first picture you can barely see it on the rear quarter panel. The second picture is a close up. The truck is a Dodge Ram in silver. We put the doming resin on satin aluminum vinyl.

-

-

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW LOTTI!!!!!!!!!!!I love your horse!!!That is awesome! Post some more of that sign would ya? Capt.- that was the stuff I was after. I was talking to Rodger about this stuff and he did give me some tips but I didn't write them down. And I'm the type that writes everything down. Need to in order to slam it into my brain. Thanks Ken.
Dave that looks great!!!!!!!! My husband just bought us a car yesterday and I think that's exactly what I'm going to do with it. And that's the type of pic I was after to show him. Thank you.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

Frank Sanborn
Visitor
Member # 6772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Sanborn   Email Frank Sanborn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doming for several years.
I did a lot of prototyping for emblems, steering wheel centers etc. as well as a lot of one-of-a kind parts.

Some tips:

-Wear gloves! - I use cheap disposable vinyl or latex gloves.

-Wear long sleaves! - I once had a job where I needed to dome almost 500 good size parts and I was working in the summer with short sleaves and ended up with a nasty rash on my arms. I've heard of other people getting the same reaction and simply wearing a long sleave shirt has prevented it.

-Use less than you think you'll need. If you put on too much resin, the surface tension at the edges won't hold it and it will run off the part. This part takes practice to get a feel for how much is right.

-Round the corners of the part that you're doming, especially inside corners. Production domers usually require a minimum .08" radius on both inside and outside corners. Doming by hand in small quantities can allow you to get away with tighter radius corners.

-Chrome parts show EVERY little bubble and flaw.

-When you start a tube, make sure you squirt out the recommended amount of resin at the beginning to make sure that the resins get fully mixed and the air bubbles are worked out. I usually shoot it into an old pop bottle, watching the resin come through the mixer tip until I see a little stream of bubbles come through. This may seem wasteful, but the first resin that comes out won't cure correctly and you'll have a bubbly, sticky, gooey mess.

Shoot me an email if you have any more questions!

[ October 01, 2006, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Frank Sanborn ]

--------------------
Frank Sanborn
Sanborn Signcrafters
Charlotte, Michigan

Posts: 10 | From: Charlotte, MI | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Thank you Frank. That is the stuff Mike was telling me last weekend but I didn't write it down. Now I can print it out. Chrome parts- you are domeing pre manufactured chrome parts?

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

Frank Sanborn
Visitor
Member # 6772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Sanborn   Email Frank Sanborn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deri Russell:
Thank you Frank. That is the stuff Mike was telling me last weekend but I didn't write it down. Now I can print it out. Chrome parts- you are domeing pre manufactured chrome parts?

No, I've domed parts cut from Gerber Deluxe Chrome (the REALLY expensive stuff!). It's such a smooth, clear surface that parts cut from it and domed come out looking just beautiful. But I usually end up with a higher number of bad parts just because of the bubbles. I've yet to find a good way to prevent it, because I can pour the doming resin on, let it sit for a few minutes and flow out to the edge, then pop any bubbles with the small torch and have them appear crystal clear, only to come back the next morning and new bubbles will have formed.
Drives me nuts....

Multi colored parts, as well as solid colored parts don't show the bubbles nearly as bad as the chrome does.

I know from speaking with a provider of commercial doming equipment that in a large scale process, the resin is put through a "de-gassing" step (insert your own joke here....), but I don't know what they do to accomplish this and I know from seeing commercially produced domed parts that it works. Not a bubble in sight!

--------------------
Frank Sanborn
Sanborn Signcrafters
Charlotte, Michigan

Posts: 10 | From: Charlotte, MI | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank I was told to use the freshest resin you can when using chrome. I had the same problems, with fresh resin it worked fine.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!