Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Bubbles in layed vinyl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bubbles in layed vinyl
michael potter
Visitor
Member # 6539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michael potter   Email michael potter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am New to all this and still at times get air bubbles. now I realise this is my error but I don't now what to change or what to check on my squeege just in case I can blame my tools. Any information would be gratefully devoured by myself
Thanks Mike [Thanks]

--------------------
Michael Potter
Dove Cottage
16 Dolphin Street
Deception Bay 4508

Posts: 10 | From: brisbane, australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you applying wet or dry?
There are folks I know who can stick a 4' piece of vynull down dry with nary a bubble...but I'm not one of them.
I do better with wet apps and a 3M gold squeegee.
I prefer Rapid Tac application fluid.
You spray the substrate, spray the sticky side of the vinyl, and squeegee the hell out of it.
Then spray the application tape and squeegee that too.
The only time I apply dry is for teeny tiny lettering, all coro, most banners, and some glass.
But I still get bubbles on occasion.
love...Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check your squeegee and make sure that it has a good edge on it. I had this problem recently and then decided to look at the squeegee that I was using. It had some dips in the edge. So either sharpen it on another squeegee or toss it.

[ September 27, 2006, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Laura Butler ]

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use gold squeegees exclusively now, even when applying the transfer tape. They don't come apart like the regular cheapie squeegees nor are they as easy to nick along the edges.

Other than that, it's about pulling some tension on the vinyl that hasn't been applied yet while squeegeeing the rest down good and tight.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not ...they will migrate out...if you have a severe bubble prick it with the tip of an exacto then leave it alone it will layout quickly.

We always let our customers know the bubbles will leave and have never had a problem nor a complaint.

Now wrinkles are a different think ...good luck!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael, you mentioned layered vinyl in the post subject. Are you putting all your layers together first and then applying the entire graphic to your substrate? I find I end up with a lot of bubbles if I do that. The different heights of the vinyl will keep your squeegee from making full contact with the lower layers, and cause bubble city.

Here's the concept, since I don't convey ideas very well in print...

-

To avoid this problem, I mask each layer and apply them separately, using a variety of registration tricks I've learned myself and here on Letterville...

EDITED TO ADD: HAHAHAHA.. I CAN'T READ!! You said LAYED vinyl... SORRY!

[ September 27, 2006, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bubbles also occur when not enough application fluid is being used. Be sure to be generous with the spray and use quality application fluid. Gold squeegees are a must.
Start from center and work out to edges

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon,

I put down layered vinyl all the time and the way to avoid that bubble line is to either wrap a paper towel around the edge of the squeegee or use one of those cotton/felt edged squeegees for applying digital prints. The slightly softer edge will conform to the layers and lock the bottom layer down while eliminating the bubbles.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mike!! I'll try it.. continuing my education here on Letterville.. when do I get a diploma??

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michael potter
Visitor
Member # 6539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michael potter   Email michael potter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow thanks to all It worries me that you have evidently been watching me How else could you describe most of my errors.
thanks heaps
Mike

--------------------
Michael Potter
Dove Cottage
16 Dolphin Street
Deception Bay 4508

Posts: 10 | From: brisbane, australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have another tip, but one that is more relevant once you have mastered the basics a little more.

Once you can pull off a perfect application, you will one day find that you took for granted you level of expertise & suddenly, you will have substandard results.

The tip I'm referring is like the vinyl application equivilent of "keep your eye on the ball" ... I know this sounds rather esoteric... but i've often had to remind myself to focus my attention on the job at hand. Applying vinyl will become one of those mindless chores you "can do in your sleep" ... but that is when you are likely to be tripped up like I have by the consequences of over confidence.

just like the exact best technique that works for one person is never easy to put entirely in words... when you have mastered it through experience, you won't have words for all of it either... muscle memory will be peforming the task the way it felt all the times your mind was pleased with your handiwork... avoiding the errors that your mind was displeased with... but your muscle-memory is not doing it alone... those subtle techniques you don't have words for are still being coached by a focused mind... when the mind gets over confident and begins to wander... LOOK OUT!!

Well, that really sounds like cosmic debris, but I believe it & I've trained my employee to "pay attention" to her work when it began to get sloppy...

...it is so much like so many other things, if we are totally present in the moment, our mind controls the outcome of our performance far more then a lot of us give it credit for.

...but all that said, it only applies after you learn the proper technique. Good firm squeegee pressure is key & overlapping strokes is also mandatory. With a 4' squeegee... I never move more then 2" from one stroke to the next... probably less... & Mike suggestion of maintaining tension on the loose end is valuable info too. I think it's important that the squeegee brings the vinyl into contact at the first moment it makes contact. You don't let it lay down ahead of the squeegee first, & follow that with squeegee pressure... the squeegee must cause the first contact. Applying tension against the point of contact is one way, but holding the vinyl higher up & letting it fall down in a curl is another version that doesn't require "tension"... it just needs to be help up high enough & the hand that holds it has to constantly lower it at the right pace to allow the squeegee to lay it down ahead of the curl.

I hope some of that made sense.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenda Daley Giuseppin
Visitor
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Author's Homepage   Email Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to disagree with those of you who use a application product...however, I've been laying vinyl for 12 years now and find that dry is the best. It's one less elimiment to deal with and certainly saves time. I can even use a crappy squeegee and still get the vinyl down. I used to buy the gold ones, but now I just use the freebie white ones and still get the same result. Some of my squeegees are so old and not much left to them, but still work great! Not to say it's always perfect, but I don't deal with bubbles that often. The key is the method of pressure and the direction of pressure. I always use the hinge method and hold the one side up as mentioned in other posts. I start from the middle and squeegee up and down overlapping allowing the air to go out the top and bottom instead of getting trapped in the middle to cause bubbles. Try and keep the air free of humidity in your work shop and this will also make a difference. Last year I had a new employee...not much experience in vinyl. However, in following my methods "dry" and applying the correct direction and pressure he was laying vinyl with no bubbles within his first week! By one month he could do it better than me and would kick me out of the shop if I tried to help! haha

--------------------
Ottawa Custom Signs
Stittsville, Ontario

Posts: 346 | From: Stittsville, ON | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Some things are better done wet... (like washing a car, GEEZ, folks), but I much prefer to apply my vinyl dry.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pressure, what Brenda said, a nice sharp edge, and experience. Those are the major key elements. Dry application becomes flawless when you have it down.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, I'm learning heaps here. One thing not mentioned yet is 3M Controltac. With the etch through the adhesive even the most inexperienced people in our workshop have had perfect results with nary a bubble. The etched effect is readily accepted by customers when they understand how good the product is. We have one customer who always insists on the best products for his vehicles, when we showed him Controltac he was rapt!! Personally I prefer dry application but if wet is what makes you comfortable and confident...run with it!

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found that too much pressure on the initial wipes with the squeege causes bubbles. I'm guessing that too much pressure stretches and distorts the vinyl and application tape which traps air.

Like Doug said, paying close attention and using medium pressure has eliminated most bubbles for me. After it's all down, I re-squeege with alot of pressure. After pulling the application tape off, I lay the release liner on the vinyl and squeege one more time.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make sure to squeqee both up and down and side to side before removing the application tape.

Another trick I use is to wet down the application tape before removing it with either a mist of water or some Rapid Tac. Just enough to dampen the app tape. As Jon shows in his illustration, the small gap is where the vinyl doesn't quite get as much pressure and is where the bubbles tend to happen. The app tape has always seemed to pull a little on those areas, and wetting it lessens that a bit.

...and what Monte said.
[Wink]
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Vigeant
Visitor
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Vigeant   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Vigeant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What bubbles! They almost all go away don't they? At least in my mind they do. On a metal surface, store window or any southern exposure you'll never see a bubble in six months. Who has really seen any but the larges ones on anything 3 months later except around rivets or so.
I put down some big prints on once on some alumalite and I was soooo worried, it looked like peanut brittle on there. A month later, zero defects visible, even the wrinkles. I did a window a couple of years ago with white vinyl, man I felt bad, it looked way bubble city. I just pricked them like mad, and the next day they were gone. I couldn't believe it. And a year later they moved to a new location anyway.
ioafs

--------------------
Steve Vigeant
Berkeley Signs
Oakland, CA.

Posts: 55 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

You know who are the worst about bubbles?? Race car drivers of all people... they hate 'em because they think bubbles are what's keeping their '81 Cutlass bomber from looking like a Cup car....

After being poormouthed into a low price, sometimes I'm less than careful when applying racecar graphics... then when they ask if the bubbles will come out.. I say "Sure, when you get T-boned in the third lap of the race, I guarantee you it'll pop the bubbles..." or "Hey, that's the discount I gave you... I'm sponsoring those bubbles..."

Usually gets things back in perspective...

[ October 02, 2006, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,, but why have bubbles when they are not needed. Why have pickle skin if a good application does not have them. Why have peanut brittle skin if the right tools prevent it? And why should a customer have to accept that the pickle skin will go away in a month?

Ask a cutsomer to pay a nice load of money and leave him with blisters (no they do not always go away) just doesnt sit well.There are so many tips, tricks and tools and professional juices around there is no need to leave a load of measles. I won't....

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

I agree with you, Curtis...

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we got the VersaCamm, we have been buying the more expensive ControlTack with Comply vinyl, especially for automotive graphics.

Anyone can lay that vinyl down with out bubbles, even over and around rivits and other bumps.
Yes, its way more expensive, but the time we save in application is worth it.

Not so with Orcal 651. Printing a graphic on O-651, and applying it to a magnetic sign...you need application fluid. On other surfaces, it can be laid down dry by squeegeeing small short movements in the direction of the loose vinyl which is being held up off the surface.

Even so, small bubbles may appear, hours later, that were not there before, such as in the case of an install done inside in the cool shop, then the sign is placed outside in the hot sun.

When we wrapped our vehicle a few years ago, I had a ton of bubbles in graphics. A few weeks went by and they were all gone. So, wrap your vehicle in graphics, then you can show customers that the bubbles do go away, just like they did on your car.

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!