Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Is Corel able to do an outline?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Corel able to do an outline?
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can Corel Draw do a true outline (rather than adding line weight) to a shape?

Currently, I am creating in Corel 11, and sending to either CoCut (if I am done editing) or CasMate (If I am adding a shadow).

Also, creating a shadow is pretty easy in corel, but is it able to do drop shadows, or perspective shadows?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Mark,
Corel has a "contour" feature that creates any number of inlines or outlines you specify. I'm using Corel 12 and it's sometimes hit or miss. It may add more nodes to an object than what is necessary.
I sometimes find it easier and cleaner to add a stroke, then convert the stroke to curves.
The way I get to the contour feature is to go to Window>Dockers>contour.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to "Effects" ans click on "Contour"for your outline.

For perspective shadow, you can use "Envelope" in the same "Effects" and distort it till your heart is content!

[For Your Information]

Arrrghhh...someday I will learn to use Spelchek!

[ August 22, 2006, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mark,
Once you've added your contour you'll have to go to arrange and "break contour apart". If this isn't done any resizing you do to your text the contour will stay at the same thickness as you had originally assigned to it. And yes watch out for a bazillion nodes on your curves.

I've never used the envelope tool for a perspective shadow. There is the extrude tool but its pretty much useless for a vynull ready graphic.

For a perspective shadow I'll duplicate the object resize it smaller (holding shift), then weld the two together and then edit the nodes on the corners changing them to lines.

Stevo

-

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contour is one of the tools that was greatly improved in the X3 version. It greats way fewer nodes and few if any flatspots or flyaway nodes that earlier versions were prone to.

Having said that every version of Corel since ver 10 has the ability to convert outline to curves. Its found under the arrange tab. If you want to create outlines using this method you will find it helpful to create outline with fhe following properties (outline pen tool) round corners, behind fill and scale with image. If you're working on signs you'll also want to change the unit of measure for outlines from points to inches.

[ August 22, 2006, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Mike O'Neill ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracie Johnson
Visitor
Member # 6117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracie Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Tracie Johnson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also Mark, to address your first question, I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but when you draw in Corel it automatically adds a hairline stroke to all the shapes. You can go to the outline tool, above the fill tool, and there's a place to turn that off in the flyout menu.

--------------------
Tracie Johnson
Signovations
Ventura, California

Posts: 444 | From: Ventura, California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mark,

Make sure when you are using the outline tool, you check the box that says "behind fill" and "scale with image". That will stop the outline from thickening the object you are working on.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
corel will also do a SINGLE LAYER DROP SHADOW(meaning it will do all the cut-thru where the shadow will be and nothing behind the main text)

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. In Casmate, you "group" the text or object, select one of many shadow styles, either drag for the dimension or set the perimeters, then click. Too bad it's a dead software. [Frown] Outlines are even easier. Scan to vector still the best. I find that I can do most things in Casmate with one or two steps that require multiple steps in Corel. Casmate is also the most intuitive software I've ever used. I'm begrudgingly learning both Corel and Flexi.

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
casemate...corel....almost alike....casmate has more features, but alot of the commands are similar....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Phillips   Email Doug Phillips       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trick I use on the extrude function is to, after separating, weld the extrusion together [eliminates all the overlap lines] easy-peasy (maybe two or three small node selections to delete).

Steps for extruding contour in Corel Draw (in at least ver 9-X3)

1. create text or object
2. contour text or object
3. separate contour
4. extrude contour
5. separate extrusion
6. weld extrusion
7. (in nessesary) minor node selections to delete

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Denali Design Signs & Tees
Anchorage, Alaska

Posts: 316 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Doug!
I just tried that out and it works pretty good!
Thanks I'll have to remember that one.

[Smile]

Stevo

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7 steps to create a shadow. Ouch.

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Phillips   Email Doug Phillips       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim, actually it's three steps for a cuttable shadow and one step for the contour, I just mapped out a start to finish project.

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Denali Design Signs & Tees
Anchorage, Alaska

Posts: 316 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!