Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? WWYD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? WWYD?
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every now & then it happens:

Someone calls and tells you how much they love a certain sign you "did". They proceed to tell you that they want you to do their new sign too.

Oh yes, you know the sign they are refering to. Only thing is....you had nothing to do with it. Worse yet, how well you remember, you lost that bid to a competitor.

Inside, you have to admit, it's an OK sign, but how do you break it to the lady on the phone that you had nothing to do with this "masterpiece"?

Even better, how do you be honest and still keep the potential client in your pocket? [Confused]

This could be interesting [Wink]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3487 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Wright
Visitor
Member # 6584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should ask her to come by. Then break it to her in your shop where maybe you will get a chance to show her some of your great work.

--------------------
Blake Wright
The Sign Shop of Florence
Florence S.C.

Posts: 78 | From: Effingham, S.C. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tell her you bid on and did not get it because you were busy at the time and that client would not wait

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stefanie Fox
Visitor
Member # 6523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stefanie Fox   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um...the truth will set you free?

actually, that has happened to me. and yes, the other work was ghaastly, and I am glad I did not do it. unfortunately, the customer thought it was reallllly great! I simply told her I did not do that project, and also told her to go to the store that the work was on to get that contact info if she wanted that artist's work.

I believe it was the right thing to do. There is enough work out there for all of us, so I just trust that I will have enough for myself, even if I do give the other guy a plug...

--------------------
Stefanie Fox
Fox Design Studio
Atlanta, GA

Posts: 181 | From: Atlanta GA, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Id say, well ma'am, I didnt have the opportunity to do that job, but Id be glad to show you ones I have done. [Smile]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
with up to a few dozen jobs a week, it's difficult to remember every job I've done, but I'm happy for your vote of confidence, so lets get started working up a layout that you will be even more excited about.

Actually... in your specific scenario, I guess the need to come clean is a little more evident then in my own similar past experiences. I've had folks say they remembered something I had done & when they tried to jog my memory... I couldn't remember. Once long ago I said I had not done something... & then later with a little more information, I remembered it. So, even though I think I have a pretty good memory... I've proven to myself that it is not as good as it sometimes needs to be, therefore, I no longer say "I didn't do that" simply because I don't remember. BUT... if I know for sure that I didn't do it, I might feel obligated to say something. On the other hand, if I can move things along to the discussion of what I can do for them, I may just do so, because I would consider my own marketing investment to be somewhat responsible for MY company name sticking in someones head enough for this prospect to find their way to me...

...& I do sell what they came to me wanting to buy... so that is the real topic for discussion in my book, so I could see myself sidestepping the old news & rushing right into the business at hand.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a call like that- they insisted I'd done a job for them in the past, and this time they wanted their shed lettered.
I decided it wasn't worth argueing with them, and I painted their shed as requested. There was no copyright issue with logos or designs or anything like that. They were happy with the result. So was I.

edited to add that I did try and bring up the subject of what & when I did what they thought I'd done,(ie "do you remember just when that was done..."?) but the bloke who knew was away, and I didn't want to seem like an idiot, so I kept my confusion to myself & just did the job.

[ August 17, 2006, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't look like it takes much telepathy to know what this customer wants. She's not leaving us wondering about that. That's good, real good. Think how vague some customers can be...

That leaves this question...
CAN we do the sign to her satisfaction? IF we KNOW we can, let's fess up about not doing the one she admireed and invite her to see some of our work to decide for herself how well we can provide what she's looking for.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, I would steer clear of that conversation and just find out what she wanted. I wouldn't lie and say I did the sign, I would just overlook it and then when the deal was set and we felt comfortable with eachother I would most likely slip it in casually that I don't think I did that sign she was referring to. (i might not even mention that I did'nt do the sign if it wasn't necessary) But, i DEFINATELY wouldnt lie to the customer and say outright that I did it.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Osborne
Visitor
Member # 4569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Osborne   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Osborne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she's realy hung up on that particular sign style or wants a similar logo/font adaptions ect..you are going to have to come clean ( but not till after you've had chance to show her your own work).

Other than that, it could be that she just wants a "way in" to approach her local signmaker,-maybe she's hoping if she comes across as a fan of your work -You'll go easy on her?

But definately don't be passing it off as your own..it WILL come back to bite you on the bum.

[ August 17, 2006, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Osborne ]

--------------------
Wayne Osborne signs
Midhurst W.Sussex U.K
www.osbornesigns.co.uk

"When happiness shows up always give it a comfortable seat"

Posts: 353 | From: Midhurst ,West sussex, Britain | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Tell them that the original sign maker RETIRED, LEFT TOWN, DIED, WENT TO PRISON, WENT BUST, or something... And that you bought all of their "equiptment". : ' ) ...(hehe)

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Beisiegel:
Every now & then it happens:

Someone calls and tells you how much they love a certain sign you "did". They proceed to tell you that they want you to do their new sign too.

Oh yes, you know the sign they are refering to. Only thing is....you had nothing to do with it. Worse yet, how well you remember, you lost that bid to a competitor.

Inside, you have to admit, it's an OK sign, but how do you break it to the lady on the phone that you had nothing to do with this "masterpiece"?

Even better, how do you be honest and still keep the potential client in your pocket? [Confused]

This could be interesting [Wink]

[Cool]

Had it happen a few times. I first think to myself....."did I do this?"...especially if it's someone telling me this on the phone.
Then, if I can't remember doing it, I'll say "I don't remember doing that". Sometimes, if I did do it, it finally hits me...."Oh yeah...I remember now". I certainly don't deny it or make like I didn't do it.

And yes, I think some were ones I lost to a competitor.

If I KNOW that I didn't do it...I just tell them flat "No, I didn't do that sign".

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
play like polititians do...LET THE PEOPLE BELIVE WHAT THEY WANT TO......and get the new sign job....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!