Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » H D U Patch???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: H D U Patch???
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 5 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a hole you need to fill in HDU, what do you use?
I have been using wood filler, but when you go to paint, it leaves a big "slick" spot where the filler was sanded. Very noticable. Me no likey [Mad] .

Any other suggestions?

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Carper
Visitor
Member # 999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Carper   Email Ron Carper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used another piece of HDU, drill out a hole the size of the patch and make a piece to fit in. Glue it in so it sticks up a little, then sand it down, the tighter the fit, the less noticable it will be.

--------------------
Carper's Signs
594 Union School Rd.
Mount Joy, PA 17552
carpersign@earthlink.net

Posts: 157 | From: Lancaster, PA, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what about a litle screw hole?

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Barnes
Visitor
Member # 2277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Barnes   Email Mike Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jake, How about adding some HDU "dust" to GG or maybe Titebond 2? I'm just guessing here. Think I'll go and drill a hole in a scrap piece and give it a whirl. I'll let ya know.......

--------------------
Mike Barnes
Sign Werks
239 Cherry Ave
Corbin, Ky. 40701
sign_werks@yahoo.com

"I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV."

Posts: 151 | From: Corbin, Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spray foam insulation?

--------------------
Mario G. Lafreniere (Fergie)
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1257 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read if you prime BEFORE you patch it won't be as obvious (and then reprime, of course...)
Cat

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jake! I have done with gorilla glue, it work great.
I usually mix couple drop of water in a small cup and GG and apply on the hole let set. then I go back with a razor blade and trim what has expand.
then sand , primed and paint.
I hope this helps...

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
West System Epoxy with their low density filleting blend added, makes the epoxy sand at the same rate as the foam. If you need it I can get the numbers off the lo density blend.

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small holes we use Baking Soda and Superglue. Fill hole with Baking soda then add a few drops of superglue. Puff of smoke then sand.

Larger Holes Same as Ken WSE with filler..

haven't had a chance to try Sals Formula but saw him do some stuff at NH meet.. was real interesting

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just knocked this out with a plug cutter on a drill press. Viola! HDU plug.
 -

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys, I'll be printing this one to try some of these in the future.
Thanks again!

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jake,

I don't have much experience with this, but I'm pretty sure Nancy Beaudette covered this problem in a HDU demo in Moncton. She said to do all your priming and then fill the hole after. This gets rid of the smooth spot. Give her a call and see what they use for filler.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Root
Resident

Member # 758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Root   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Root   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick wood epoxy available from Canadian Signcrafters in the merchant section. It comes as a two-part stick that you mix by hand. It sets up in a couple of hours and has a shelf life of at least a year. Spreads like putty and sands drills etc.

Saved my bacon more times than I can remember.

Rob

--------------------
Rob Root
Root Cellar Signs
Waubaushene,
rob@rootcellarsigns.ca

point and click until it works

Posts: 55 | From: Waubaushene, Ont. Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jake, here are parts of an old post with the same question.

Here is a method I used recently to fix a goof-up I did on an HDU sign.

This first photo shows the groove (originally a "v" groove) I routed in the wrong place. (you can see the guide lines to the left I should have been in). I re-routed it with a flat bottom bit.

-

The next photo shows a "key" I cut-out on the table saw. I kept it as tight as I could, and let it sit a little proud (high) of the surface.

-

The last photo shows the "key" epoxied, and sanded flush. The slight imperfections aroung the edges were easily filled in with primer. It was barely noticible, even if you were looking for it.

-

This works well for a major mistake, but could also work well with a big "ding" or heavy scratch.

I agree that it never seems to match if it's filled with bondo, or the likes.

Good luck,
Bob K.

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!