Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » employee pay (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: employee pay
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would think that what people are paid per hour would have a little something to do with the local economics. $8.50/hr would go alot further in Niagara Fall NY where you can buy a nice 3 bdr/2 bath house for $40,000.

$8.50/hr isn't gonna go far in Minneapolis, MN where that same house costs $220,000.

What would you do if you had to go out and get a job? For those of you that own your own shop, have you ever sat down and figured out how much per hour you would have to earn to make all your personal payment obligations?

How much would/could you pay 'yourself' if you walked through your doors tomorrow, looking for a job? What about benefits?

How many of you shop owners are willing to hire someone with the equivalent of your own experience and pay them enough that they can put a roof over their head?

It may not be the employer's responsibility to make sure you can pay your bills, but what do people do that have decent experience, but also bills to pay and no place that wants to pay a decent wage?

What kind of trickle-down effect does that have on the local economy?

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It may not be the employer's responsibility to make sure you can pay your bills, but what do people do that have decent experience, but also bills to pay and no place that wants to pay a decent wage?
That's an excruciatingly real-life dilemma for a lot of people Dana. And it's a tough one to sort out.

My thoughts are that most people have more than one "gift" in terms of their skill assets.

For instance, I've talked to Bruce on the phone a couple of times, and I can tell that he's quite a good conversationalist. That cannot be dismissed as a potential money-making asset.

In Bruce's case, I can see him being a successful Sales Rep in the interim, while he seeks the perfect Sign Job. He has the mind for detail and the keen eye for observation and a friendly way about him. Sales Reps can make a gob of money....and it might provide a temporary source of income until the right, creative employment comes along.

Plus, a Sales Rep is the perfect job for meeting tons of people - which in and of itself creates a network of potential employers.

This is only an example...not saying or even knowing what Bruce's/ your employment situation is ....but basically saying that sometimes people have to alter their career plans temporarily to accomodate their particular situation.

I've always been extremely interested in building and architecture....I thought if I wasn't doing what I'm doing I'd really like to build/remodel homes or draw custom house plans.

In fact, I've completed one college course in architecture...a few years ago...and enjoyed it...need to pursue that venue sometime again. It could prove to be a fun backup plan.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dana Bowers:

What kind of trickle-down effect does that have on the local economy?

I say, Welcome to Lake Havasu City. That's exactly what's happening here and there is no trickle down economics.

What you end up with is a high concentration of mom and pop businesses owned by people who "gave in" to the fact the only way they can make enough to support themselves without working 3 full time jobs is to go self-employed. Employees here usually end up with their own businesses anyway, it's the only way they can progress and grow.

Of course the situation is only perpetuated because those small businesses cannot afford employees and the ones that can, are low payers.

One of the side effects of the economy here is, it's a tightly-knit town. As long as you don't screw people over, you have more personality than a piece of cardboard and you don't mind a little hustle, your business will do well because word spreads quickly. You'll soon find yourself aligned with small business circles that continue expanding with everyone within the circle remaining fairly loyal to each other because we all know how tough things here can be.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!