Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT Tattoo Suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT Tattoo Suggestions?
Rachael Warfield
Visitor
Member # 6615

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Rachael Warfield   Email Rachael Warfield       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not looking for free clip art.
I was wondering if anyone would like to give me an idea for a tattoo.
I looked at Mom's VectorArt books and I like pinstripey things. I also like stars.
It's going to go at the base of my spine.
Thanks!
Rachael
PS
Thanks for all the nice things you guys said about my graduation.
[Group Hug]

Posts: 1 | From: Butler PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of getting a Rat Fink tattoo...My wife says he's too ugly. I think I'll get him anyways.

Pick a pinstriper you really admire and get some of their work.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My honest suggestion? don't get one! But welcome aboard [Smile]
Before you get one, I would think long and hard about what I would want because they are a lifelong commitment.
But, unfortunately, just about anything goes for tatoos and most of the recent ones I've seen don't really have any thought or effort put into them.
Also, I know kids that got them at 18 are now wishing they haven't because they're only 21 and can't afford to get them changed or removed.

Good luck,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Brian, I wish I hadn't got mine. I just visited a friend who is having laser treatments to get rid of hers. Getting the Crazy Horse malt liquor logo was cool at 18, but now at age 29, she doesn't want it. I've got another friend that's planning on getting hers removed as soon as she can afford it.

Kelsey, if you get a tattoo before you become a resident here, I'll kick you squar in the butt when I meet you.

I knew a girl who had ********** tattooed upside down on the back of her neck. Not the kinda girl you'd take home to mom.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Rachael!
Well my first thought is having a central element with symmetrical pinstripe designs on either side. Maybe a nautical star in the middle?
There's always the tribal type designs but I think everyone has that.
Here's a good site to do abit of research.
www.tattoosymbol.com There's some great articles on some of the staple designs and what they mean.

Here's a site with TONS of flash.
http://www.tattoodles.com/

And you could always do a google image search as well.
Hope this helps ya abit!

Stevo [Smile]

[ June 28, 2006, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Stevo Chartrand ]

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rene st-pierre
Visitor
Member # 4116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rene st-pierre   Email rene st-pierre       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey miss
dont forget its for life
i think only you can made a choice
remember e tatoo its representative of you
an not made one for made one
your mother know a good man for made this
good luck
c-ya
maybe a ford logo ha.ha
bye

--------------------
rene st pierre
quebec city
canada

red & white 81 forever 666

Posts: 290 | From: quebec city | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have teenage daughters and I know that it's nearly impossible to talk them out of the tattoo idea so I'm not going to try, but let me say this: If you must, then spend your money on the best tattoo artist in town. Like in the sign business, it's gotten to the point where everyone calls himself a tattoo artist even if they haven't got a clue. I don't like tattoos, but a BAD tattoo really sucks.

When we were fourteen, my girlfriend (who unfortunately wasn't very artistic) inked someone's initials on my arm, which is why I seldom go sleeveless. Lucky me, I found a husband to match the initials. That wasn't easy let me tell you [Wink]

Edited to say, my oldest girl has a two inch Bambi on her hip. I thought it was an idiotic idea, but have to admit that the tattooist did an extremely nice job.

[ June 28, 2006, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Lotti Prokott ]

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1962 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I travel with a Sales Rep that is a Wal-Mart junkie - - even worse than me....

He's also a drummer....and for a joke, I made this up and sent him....complete with ear ring (no way would he ever where one).

Notice the tatoo on his arm....I think this would be really unique...hehehehe.

-

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Phillips   Email Doug Phillips       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, just say NO!
I never understood the desire to have a tatoo, I can't fathom why anyone would do that to themselves. While I appreciate the talent that goes into the artwork, I can't imagine anything that would hold it's appeal for any length of time (99% of it is too trendy and goes out of style then you're stuck with it).

On a similar note I have yet to see an earing on a guy look good (just goofy).

If I have offended anyone, so be it, it's how I feel. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Denali Design Signs & Tees
Anchorage, Alaska

Posts: 316 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rene st-pierre
Visitor
Member # 4116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rene st-pierre   Email rene st-pierre       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doug
its you opinion and its ok
i dont have more thsn 3 tatoo
an i have a lot of rings on my ears (3 each side)
i juste think tatoo not can be in a place of all people can see
i alwais think tatoo its same as a plate car
for prouf cops use this for reconise citizen dead
im not offended each people have choice
i have made mine somme time i have regret somme tine not
c-ya

--------------------
rene st pierre
quebec city
canada

red & white 81 forever 666

Posts: 290 | From: quebec city | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Snyder
Visitor
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Snyder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of catagorized references here...

http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/bme-tatt.html

"The only difference between tattooed people and those who aren't tattooed is that tattooed people don't care if you are tattooed or not." -sign on a local shops wall.

[ June 28, 2006, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Brian Snyder ]

--------------------
Brian Snyder
Sign Effectz
Woodbridge, New Jersey

Posts: 723 | From: Woodbridge, NJ USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rachael, decide on a design.

Then wait 6 months.

If you still want it after 6 months, go for it. Find the best person you can find to do it.

I knew I wanted a tattoo for a few years but nothing passed the 6 month test. Then my grandpap died. He had given me a nickname before I could even walk and only he & my uncle were ever allowed to call me that. It suddenly hit me a few months later that my tattoo was to be that nickname. Going on 4 years. I don't regret having the tattoo, just wish someone better would have done it. Man, I'm telling ya, I'd like to know whose work he had picts of in his shop cause there ain't no way he could've done work that nice. [Frown] Now I gotta see if it can be fixed. If not, I will have it removed & do it all over again.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 inches below the base of the spine would be appropriate. Any design will fit there.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not going to try to talk you out of it, but like has been said, just make sure it's something you'll want for the next 50 years...

A few years back I had a Street Stock dirt track car, drove a racing kart for an engine builder, and was tire changer for a Nascar All-Pro and Late Model driver for a couple of years.

SO... I get a tattoo of a green eyed skeleton head with a helmet on, checkered flags, smoke etc... Now I have been too busy to be involved in racing for a few years and people wonder why in the world I have this crazy racing tattoo....

Don't really regret it, but it doesn't really apply to my life at the moment. Guess I can tell my future grandkids.. "arrggh, back when I was in my twenties.. yeah, last century.... i was a race car driver.." [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Rachael,
...How 'bout getting a huge LETTERHEAD LOGO TAT right on your butt?! GO FOR IT! (...could start a trend! )
...Welcome to L'ville! You came to the right place for tatoo advice.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh don't listen to those geeks...lol!XOXOXO

i waited til i was closer to 40 and i still like it...doesn't matter what others think...do what you want...but make sure its something you can live with forever(ya know not some dudes name). but feel free to post your thoughts for us to check out first...lol!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take this however you want but you said something that has been said by every friend of mine that has gotten a tattoo and regretted it later, "What should I get?"

You want to brand yourself permanently then by all means do it. But why would you want to express yourself by picking some artwork off a wall or out of a flash book? I just don't see the meaning behind that. No passion, no remembrance, just jumping at a fashion trend. It's not like bellbottoms, you can't just toss a tattoo out a year from now. If you're going to do it make it unique, make it special, and by all means spend the extra money to have it done by a professional with talent.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's something else to consider. I know a tattoo artist, and if he doesn't like the person getting a tattoo, he makes dirty pictures hidden in their tatoo, or taps the needle on the table until it's a little hook which makes it more painful and leaves the tat raised.

So definitely choose a pro with a good reputation.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vinyl people don't paint because they might regret the design they have chosen and so its easily removable [Rolling On The Floor]

As far as Tattoos, I have never had regrets to what is on my body. Just make sure its not only what you want but the inks used aren't a homemade brew. Longevity comes from superior craftsman using superior products.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 33 when I got my first one, and I had been thinking about it for a couple of years. I designed a tribal band to go around my upper arm, and it has my sons name in it, so he will always be with me (he lives about 1300 miles away with his mother, and I only get to spend about 3 or 4 weeks with him a year). After that I got my second one. I have always liked dragons, so I got a flying dragon on my shoulder, and I am planning on going back to get a castle and stream this winter. It really doesn't have a meaning, I guess, just something that I like.

It is more than just finding a good tattoo artist, but someone that you click with. Getting a tat is an almost intimate experience, and it has to be with someone that you feel comfortable with. I met the artist that did mine several years ago, and he was really cool, so when I found out that he was the one that did my fiancees tattoo, I was sold. (They knew each other as kids, grew up together playing baseball in an empty field.)

I don't know how far Butler is from Dover, but I highly recommend my artist.

edited to add these:

-

-

[ June 29, 2006, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Mark M. Kottwitz ]

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee McKee
Visitor
Member # 3533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee McKee   Email Lee McKee       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wanting some more ink done for years. I've thought about what I wanted and drew out my ideas. I got my first tat at 19. I love it still! It still looks great after 13 years. Now that I'm a little older and got more $ It is time to do it!
Get a tattoo if you think you can live with the image it gives you. Normally Tattooed freaks don't give a flying frog about what people think about them. If YOU do maybe you should not get one(or at least one where judgmental people can see it.)
I suggest finding a great artist. Start visiting peoples studios and looking at thier work. Don't choose anyone who offers $25.00 tattoos or claim to be the best price around. You don't want a cheap Tattoo. Pay through the nose for it. It HAS to be right you know. Also look for an artist that has normal buisness hours. Like 9am - 5pm. You don't want to use anyone who has to pander to the 2am drunk crowd. A REAL artist normally has a life outside of his studio. And make sure the sign above the door says Joe Blow's Tattoo STUDIO. I've found that the Tattoos PARLORS are not normally on the level.
As far as the subject of the work that you are going to get done... Thats up to you. Who are YOU? What do you want to do with your life? What makes you happy? Don't ever get a Tat because "It's Cool" .... Cool today - Dumb Tomorrow.
My Tattoos are all Celtic. I'm Irish and proud of it. I'll never think differently. The only regret I have is that My first wife and I have the same Tat that we got on our honeymoon, (We were 19 years old) It doesn't have her name on it or anything and I love the work on it... I just wish that she didn't have one too. Oh Well.
Take your ideas to the artist you choose. Normally these guys like the idea that you like THIER work. They kind of resent having to copy someone else's stuff. Let them show you what they think will be right for you.
Good Luck!
Let us see it when you get it done.

--------------------
Lee McKee
McKee Studios
Birmingham, Al
Planet Earth (sometimes)

Posts: 277 | From: Birmingham, Al | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dusty, I got my first tattoo at 17, almost have my left arm covered, the left side of my chest, and have started a Simpsons sleeve on my right arm... so get yer butt kickin' boots! LOL!

As far as a trend...this trend has lasted for thousands of years. It may sound sick, but to some people pain is a therapy to certain levels, and most of my tattoos are about the experiences in life and have a little deeper meaning than the asthetic appeal of a pretty butterfly on the small of your back or ankle.

Go with Stevo's advice if you like the pinstripe idea.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

I'm just giving you grief since for the price of a good tattoo, you could be a resident many times over.

I go through periods of regret and periods of liking mine. It's a snake eating its tail, the oroborus, a symbol of the cyclical nature of life.

It's also a representation of Jormungandr, from Norse myth, who when awakened, would encircle the world and destroy it.

My name comes from the Norse Dorsteinn which means "Thor's Stone". Jormungandr was Thor's enemy, so I guess I'm my own worst enemy.

That sounds about right. And that's more about me than anybody wanted to know.

And I never take my butt kickin' boots off. LOL.

Peace.

--------------------
Industrious

Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce & Deb Newton   Email Bruce & Deb Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rachael,

You might want to look at this: http://www.isoprophlex.com/pages/popup/snl_tattoo.php

You'll need quicktime player

Enuf said!!!

Bruce

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Posts: 126 | From: San Marcos, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

That was too F-ing funny! Was that MAD TV? I think that applies to those blonde bimbos that go out with their 7 other blonde bimbo friends and all get tattoos cause' it's cool at the moment.

My wife works at a tattoo shop and deals with these kind all the time. Most of the time she will turn them down because they are doing it for the wrong reasons...and yes those types of people will regret it later in life.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Blake Wright
Visitor
Member # 6584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just give it a little meaning to it.
 -
This reminds me of the wild thing that can get out if I start any bad habits. (ie, Biker Bars at Myrtle Beach) [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Blake Wright
The Sign Shop of Florence
Florence S.C.

Posts: 78 | From: Effingham, S.C. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay...here's a chick tattoo. [Wink]  -

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelsey, that is really something your wife turns people down like that. My son has done the same thing, like when a guy wanted a nazi symbol on his face! Lol!

Nice tat, Karyn!

-

Edited to add.... This is my 3rd one. First one when I was 18, on my butt, grew right along with my butt! You might want to remember that, Rachael! 2nd one an ugly Harley tattoo, 3rd one, this one, my son did about 4 years ago, for Mother's Day, & it is Christ reaching for the lost sheep (who is my son). This one means a lot to me, & it was so special for him to do it.

I respect others' opinions, they are not for everyone, but i like mine.

[ June 29, 2006, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Bobbie Rochow ]

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Very cool Bobbie! Your son has some talent there...very nice shading.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!