Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Magnetic Signs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnetic Signs
Randy W. Robarge
Visitor
Member # 2022

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Randy W. Robarge   Author's Homepage   Email Randy W. Robarge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know magnetics are a love/hate type of thing, but if that is what the customer wants, that is what the customer gets.

I just did some last week that I covered with a digital print. I applied them on the truck and they seemed to adhere well.

I just received a phone call from them saying that they were not "sticking" and, in fact, they lost one while driving.

They want to buy another one for the one they lost, but I'm trying to figure out what they could have done to them to lose their "stickieness" [Smile] Or what they could have done to the truck.

I just switched to Magnetic Specialties Inc's ProMag because they seem to have a good reputation for products, and these were the first signs I did with them [Frown] And these were the first magnetic signs that I've done that actually fell off a vehicle [Frown] [Frown]

By the way, it is a newer truck, I don't think it's brand new, but I have to talk to the owner again tonight to see what, if anything, he's done either to the truck or magnet. I know it was a flat surface, the magnet had rounded corners, etc., the typical looking magnetic sign.

What could cause them to fall off? I love these things and hate them too [Bash]

--------------------
Randy
Graphic Details
Promotional Merchandise Distributor
South Glens Falls, NY

Posts: 381 | From: South Glens Falls, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My warranty ends when they walk out the door with magnetics. They are buying removeable signs.

They tend to "come off" and they ALL try to blame the material or something other than themselves.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randy tell the owner to check and see what the door is made of.If is an old truck it could have a lot of bondo that won't let the mag stick. [Bash]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50/50 warranty 50ft from the door or 50 MPH.

They don't stick to bondo, see if they've put it over a repair. The surface needs to be clean also they won't stick well on a dirty surface.

One other thing, they'll discolor metallic paint. That's one thing I think about with all the little yellow ribbon magnets I see here on metallic finishes.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can't drive yourself mental over it. they could have put them on over molding, someone could have pulled it off, maybe there's bondo in the door...coulda been any number of reasons. they also should be told to take them off weekly and wash both sides and the door. often people leave them on for months and the magnetic bakes right on...for good. magnetics will also fog a clear coat if left on too long without care.
i personally hate the damn things...but i will make them if they still want them...after i've told them all the pitfalls. you can lead a horse to water.........

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahh mags.....they fly off they dont stick, nah, nah, nah! customers have the worst luck with mags. i have been running mags on both vehicles for about 6 years now, no problem. i take off bout every 2 weeks and wash vehicle and mag.

customers do not do this. they will stick them over dirt clods and rivets and mirrors and what not. although we tell them how to take care and treat them they just dont get it

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We make a lot of mags at the shop where I work, and rarely hear a complaint. It always seems to be the same customers that have the problems. Mags don't look as bad as a cardboard sign written in marker and attached with duct tape. But, it's a close race.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...so why is the one on the other side sticking?
love...jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
onde door has a good metal surface under it,, the other door has bondo in it...

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy W. Robarge
Visitor
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy W. Robarge   Author's Homepage   Email Randy W. Robarge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I talked with him yesterday. The truck is brand new, 2006, right off the lot (I don't know make/model even though I saw it last week).

Anyway, like Jill, my question was why did the other one stay on? Especially because it's a brand new vehicle. And I put them on initially myself - slightly curved surface, but great for magnetics. And they seemed to stick quite well for me.

What happened was this (I think). He takes them off every week and washes his truck and mags. HOWEVER, he said when he put them on the last time, the corner was a "little bent". He forced it down with his hand, but I don't think it was enough to keep it down, especially if it bent when he took it off.

I told him that it probably popped back up after he turned around. He said he had a "feeling" that something was going to happen. My feeling is that if it sat in heat for a few minutes it probably would have gone back down, but not knowing how bent it was, who knows?

Anyway, this is the first customer that has lost one, so I guess that's not bad. However, I think he is the first customer who actually took them off every week to wash them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

He wants to order another one, so he knows that it was his fault that it fell off.

On a good note, he said he was mad it fell off because he was getting a lot of great feedback from them.

--------------------
Randy
Graphic Details
Promotional Merchandise Distributor
South Glens Falls, NY

Posts: 381 | From: South Glens Falls, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kistler
Visitor
Member # 4049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kistler   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kistler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randy make sure that the print material is as shrink resistant as possible. If the digital print shrinks this could pull up an edge.

--------------------
Robert M. Kistler
South Bend Screen Process, Inc.
2018 S. Franklin St.
South Bend IN 46613

Posts: 131 | From: South Bend Indiana | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HATE Magnetics!! I price them so high, 90% of the time they go with lettering the truck.
I give them a price (in writing) on idvidual magnetics to replace the one they will lose or blows off the truck. It is NOT cheap! In most cases, I charge more for Magnetics than I do to letter the truck.
In other words, you want magnetics? The instant they go out the shop door, you are on your own! NO guarantee at all!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No matter how hard you try to convince a client to stay away from magnets, some will want them anyway. So, sell them the product.
I offer the same warranty that Dusty, OP and many others have mentioned, plus hand them a copy of my care and cleaning instructions.
Ya, it sucks when the customer looses one, but your answer should be "I told you so". [Smile]
Also, if I charged $100 for a pair of magnets, the cost to replace one would be about $60 to $70.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark zilliox
Resident

Member # 3873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark zilliox   Author's Homepage   Email mark zilliox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randy, all the reply's above should cover the right response to the "missing mag" theory. I too have had few customers expecting replacements for a missing mag. I had one fella call back & cancel the order for a redo....cause his buddy returned it after the "practical joke" ran it's course.

--------------------
mark zilliox
mark z signs
8425 pushaw station rd.
owings md. 20736
301-855-5407 thezs@earthlink.net
http://www.markzsigns.com

Posts: 348 | From: maryland | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not try & sell them lettering on the door itself, and offer them a blank white mag sheet to cover it up for when they don't want the writing to be seen? At least it's cheaper to replace when it falls off!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!