Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Viewing Mpegs on DVD (TV)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Viewing Mpegs on DVD (TV)
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys. Is there a way to save Mpegs to a DVD so they can be watched on TV? I have a DVD burner, but I don't know if I need special software to do it, or if its even possible.

Thanks
Felix

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2275 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's pretty easy on a Mac there Felix, maybe just chuck that PeeCee into the ocean and order a real computer with iLife!

Just messin' with ya man, when you comin' up for another meet? Jump on a flight and get on up to Jacksonville, or better yet, we should fly down to the land of color-blind monkeys for a visit, try the Roo and Wombat Stew!

t'wood be great to c-ya

take care

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix,

There are several programs out there that you can download for free that will convert several video formats into a usable DVD format for your TV. Probably the easiest is "DVD Santa". (link)

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10691 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. No, Dale, I can't make it anywhere this year. I've been traveling too much & my visa is screaming for help!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Posts: 2275 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would I convert VHS to DVD?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6731 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick..That's an easy one. There are many VCR/DVD combo machines available. Just get one that plays VHS tapes and records DVD disks. You simply record from one to the other. Future Shop has them here for as low as $169.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8887 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, another thing you can do is go to a video editing place and have them transfer the tape to DVD for about $5.

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cisco, there is a guy here in town that wants $50 each to do it.

Dave, do you know the name of the machine? Is there much of a quality loss?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6731 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick..I just did a quick search at "Best Buy" in the US and came up with this one...

Best Buy

I'm not that familiar with all of the stores available in the US but you might check out some for this particular type of product.

Also, the setup I have is a VCR that I have had for many years and a DVD recorder that I got 2 years ago. I could, if I had any that I wanted converted, easily play a VHS tape and record it onto DVD. The reason I mentioned the combo unit is that it is very convenient if you don't already have a DVD recorder.

Edited to add...

If you are not sure about whether to get a DVD-R or DVD+R recorder, I would recommend a -R since many older DVD players in computers were only capable of reading that format. (Think VHS vs. Beta back in the heydey of VCR's) Today, though most DVD player/recorders are multi format capable.

[ June 13, 2006, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8887 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Dave, what if I have a VHS player and can burn DVD's on my computer? Is there an easy way? Is there a way to do it at a higher speed than 1:1? What programs would be needed? How much space does it require?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick you will need a TV/Video Capture Card in your Computer. I bought the Leadtek Card and have been very pleased with it. Unfortunately you do have to Capture the Video Tape at 1to1 speed then you can convert it to a VOB/Mpeg2 Format. For an Average 2 hour movie it will take around 5 to 6 gigs of Hard drive space for the initial Capture then another 4 to 8 Gigs for the conversion.
Then if your Movie is over 4 gigs (A standard DVD unless you spend the money on the 8 Gig Dual layer DVD and Burner.) You will need a program to compress it to fit within 4 gigs.

Now if your Movie is Encoded you will need a Decoder but that info is not for this board.(Sony gets a little P issy about people breaking their encryption. But there is a way. So I heard [Roll Eyes] )

Felix, If you Have Nero Burning Rom it will convert your Mpegs to a DVD Format and make it Playable in any DVD..(This how we do all the Advertising for our local Movie theather after we create in Adobe Premier) You can do it as a super Video CD (SVCD) if its a smaller mpeg or you can convert it to a normal DvD Format also.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Thanks Bill.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Thanks Bill.

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Paul McDowell
Visitor
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul McDowell   Author's Homepage   Email Paul McDowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ars Technica did a complete breakdown on a free process with cheap equipment. It takes a little practice but it works well.

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/vidcap.ars/1

--------------------
Paul McDowell
7 Hills Signs
Virginia

Posts: 84 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can I get my collection of 8-tracks on cd?

Anybody....

Anybody?

Just kidding, couldn't help myself.
Besides I still have a 8-track player!

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!