Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Rant time!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rant time!
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feel free to add your sign-related rants here.
I have three just from today.
1: A new Avery failure! This time layered under SignGold! For a lawyer!
2: Lady calls, from a nearby Girl Scout council. Not our local, who has referred her to me. Wants a quote on an 18"x24" corosign for her yard. She balks at $25! Says she's been quoted "much cheaper". I tell her to go for it, because I can't do it any cheaper.
3: Another lady calls..."Can you make camp signs?" I sure can! "What kind?" Anything but electric, heck I can even paint signs! "How much?" Depends on what you want. "How soon?" Depends on what you want! "Are you going to be there today?" In between deliveries and estimates, please schedule an appointment so I can show you my portfolio. "I'll get back to you." Yeah right.
Why don't people know what in tarnation they want before they call me?
Here's one from yesterday. A customer calls at 7am to change the copy on HIS corosign, then asks me if I can give him a price break! Hell no! He didn't give me a break on my septic system!
OK I feel better now. Hey at least I'm busy.
Next?
love...Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn Drake
Visitor
Member # 6533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Dawn Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At leaset people come to you when they want to buy something. I sell window splashes, my van is almost my shop. I do have people who track me down or see my sticker on a splash and call.
But sometimes its frustrating making time to connect with the right people at the right time.
Often when I stop in to check on customers I walk out with a deposit check for a new splash.
But some times people string you along. Or what would be a good splash promotion gets budgeted for some other advertising just because someone else was there when the owner had an idea.
Do I need contact management software or what?

--------------------
Dawn Drake
Signs That Scream
Grand Rapids MI

Posts: 44 | From: Kentwood Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn Drake
Visitor
Member # 6533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Dawn Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey how come I dont have a link in my signature?
Did I not do something?
WWW.signsthatscream.com

--------------------
Dawn Drake
Signs That Scream
Grand Rapids MI

Posts: 44 | From: Kentwood Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two or three things to rant about...but nothing sign or business related. So I'll keep em to myself!!! [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8886 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vendors whose name does not appear on caller ID when they call to try talking me into switching to them, which of course is always when I'm in the middle of something & the last thing I want to do is listen to their spheal.

Weeding permagrip or reflective vinyl & ending up with your hand wrapped in vinyl. The adhesive is violent enough to make ya think about cutting your hand off (it would be quicker).

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Marquis
Visitor
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Marquis   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Marquis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>Wants a quote on an 18"x24" corosign for her yard. She balks at $25! Says she's been quoted "much cheaper". <<

How can ANYBODY do ANYTHING for less that $25?? That's our shop minimum, even if its just cutting some 1" snowmobile numbers.
Makes you wonder, how cheap does she want it, if the first price, which was "much cheaper" wasn't low enough?
And every time you answer the phone for someone like that, there goes at least 5 minutes out the window. Because of that, we have started adding a seperate "screw-around time" fee of $2-$8 to every job to make up for lost time. Is anyone else doing that?

Dan

--------------------
Dan Marquis
Marquis Signs
Lewiston, Maine
dan@marquissigns.com

Posts: 118 | From: Lewiston, Maine, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Jill sez:
2: Lady calls, from a nearby Girl Scout council. Not our local, who has referred her to me. Wants a quote on an 18"x24" corosign for her yard. She balks at $25! Says she's been quoted "much cheaper". I tell her to go for it, because I can't do it any cheaper.

I ran into that exact thing last week. Ended up selling him a DIY coroplast sign kit (1-24'x18" white coroplast, el'cheapo wire stand and a used Sharpie) for $18.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the ones that say "Of course I want it today. If I wanted it tomorrow, I'd order it tomorrow."

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5400 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ May 26, 2006, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Stevo Chartrand ]

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think some customers should.........  -

[ May 26, 2006, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sic em Jill, sic em! [Smile]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lolita leblanc
Visitor
Member # 3453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lolita leblanc   Email lolita leblanc       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was asked yesterday to redo a sign I had bid on a few years back, lost to another signmaker, and that is now falling appart...

--------------------
Enseignes Le Héron
Sainte-Adèle, Qué

Posts: 103 | From: Sainte-Adèle | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they specifically ask for coroplast, I know they are wanting it for the price of the coroplast.

I've many times given a price for an aluminum sign just to hear "how much do it on that plastic stuff?" Or...they bring in an old piece of painted plywood...."That much?"...."I've already got the plywood!"

These folks seem to think that the actual value of a sign is the substrate and nothing else. Never mind that they've come to you...the professional, to use your expertise to turn this blank, lifeless, worthless piece of plastic into an effective ADVERTISING tool which will benefit their business. Sometimes I want to hand them a piece of blank coroplast and say "here's your sign"...

"How much is one o' them there plaskit ones?"
"Our regular price is 99 cents"
"well...I' don't know...I'll check back with ya"
"But we're running a special this week....three for $3.99"
"I'll take it"
(hand them three coro blanks)
"Hey...whut about the letters?....you gowna put the letters ownit?"
"Sure...I can do that...lesse...that'll be....$37.50 each"
I think I'll try that sometime....

[ May 26, 2006, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK..I have a rant today.

I was 12" short of 24" 2 mil Olympic Blue for a 5 truck project that I am doing. I stopped at my regular supplier while passing by this morning. "Opps, sorry, haven't had any Olympic Blue since you bought us out on Tuesday". (Four days, and still not re-stocked, even though head office is only 120 miles away?)

On the way home I stopped at the other supplier in town. "Opps, sorry, I guess we forgot to order in any of that since someone else bought us out the other day"

At least the second supplier had some 30" material so I bought just enough of it to complete the job (I'll slit it down to 24" tomorrow)

Why can't suppliers keep their inventory up to date?

I mean Olympic Blue, along with Sapphire Blue, are probably the two most common blues that shops want. I can understand not stocking some really oddball colour but the basics should be in stock at all times.

EDITED TO SAY..I like your new picture Jill!!!!! [Applause] [Applause]

[ May 26, 2006, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8886 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!