Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » My dad passed away...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My dad passed away...
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to let you know that my dad, R.B. Clanton went home to be with the Lord Wed. May 10th 2006. He was 61 years old and he and mom had just celebrated their 40th anniversary in March.

He was a big man- just a little over 6 feet tall and around 450 lbs. Despite his size, he was healthy in all other regards... No diabetes, normal blood pressure, but he developed heart valve damage after some medication side effects. He had been having heart complications since 1998 and the last 6 months seemed to be really bad.

He had had a good day, was feeling unusually good, he had told my mom that he slept well the night before which was rare. He got up and took a shower then went downtown in Leslie to hang out with some of his buddies. He laughed and told stories with them, and then in a heartbeat he was gone. The whole town of Leslie seemed to stop what they were doing and help. My mom was contacted and got over to him a few minutes before the ambulance left with him. I was able to meet her at the hospital and we got to spend some time with him just after he passed.

His funeral was March 13th and it was a beautiful service. There were close to 250 there and several people were able to share stories and talk about his life and his faith. My mom said she was overcome with peace at his service and graveside service.

Mendy and I sat down and tried to sum up a brief eulogy of who my dad was. I was very hard because there are so many other stories that we could have included.

This is what was read at his funeral:

My Dad

My dad was one of a kind. Anyone who met him knew right away that he was a unique guy. The first thing people noticed about him was his size; he was a big man with a big heart. Everything he did was big--larger than life. Nothing he did was ordinary.

In his early fifties, he went back to college. Most people struggle to finish with just one degree, Dad came away with three Bachelor of Science degrees and a couple of associate degrees.

While most people spend their lives pursuing one career, Dad was truly a jack-of-all-trades. Over the years, he was an accomplished airplane pilot, a water well driller, a truck driver, college instructor, and computer technician. He was also a licensed carpenter, a licensed plumber, a licensed electrician and held countless other certificates. As a matter of fact, he loved taking tests for just about anything. He didn’t just take a test, he passed with flying colors. I knew that if I had a question about anything, Dad would know the answer. He was an avid reader and told me once that when he read he could picture the pages in his mind. We found out later that he had a photographic memory. He took a speed-reading course and scored so high, they made him an instructor.

People who got to know my dad knew that they could count on him for just about anything. He loved in big ways. He always wanted to help those in need, and he never met a stranger. I think he lived to be a servant (but he still liked to be in charge!). He would give the shirt off his back. In fact, he did that on several occasions. For example, Dad saved for several years to buy a coat big enough to fit him; someone asked him where he got a coat that size because they knew a man who needed one. Instead of telling them where he got it, he took it off and gave it to them. He said, “I don’t like wearing a coat anyway.” It always appeared that Dad never had much money, but that was because he loved spending it on other people.

People often wear masks to cover their flaws. I think unlike most people, Dad wore his flaws on the outside—what you saw was what you got. He knew who he was and who he was not. He accepted others for who they were not what they appeared to be: that was one of the many reasons people of all walks-of-life loved to be around him.

Dad also wore his heart on the outside. There wasn’t a person Dad met who didn’t hear all about his family. He and mom just celebrated their 40th anniversary. Dad joked that they were just staying together to see if it was going to work out. To hear him tell it, Sharla and I were the greatest kids God ever gave to any man on earth. Lee and Mendy were pretty special too, after all they were good enough for his kids. But the world stood still when it came to his grandkids. He spent time with each one individually and showered them with enough love to last a lifetime.

Dad also wore his faith on the outside. He loved the Lord and was not ashamed to tell others about Christ. Sure, he was quick with a joke and told some great tales, but he would always come back to the truths of God’s Word.

Yeah, my dad was a big man. He had to be to carry around such a big heart.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry for your loss Michael.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor Suelynn Sedor has just turned 52
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He sounds like a wonderful guy Michael. You are lucky to have had him for a Dad.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your post has me feeling like I know your dad as well as you. So sorry for your loss Michael.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I offer my condolences to you Michael, but also I wish to emphasize what a tribute that powerful eulogy is.

With the highlights of his attributes blended together with personal anecdotes, it conjures a shadow of your father that seems to illuminate his passing in such a personal way that I feel like I knew him, mourn him & at the same time appreciate him for the man that he was.

I'm sorry for your loss.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael
That's what I miss as well, knowing that I can't pick up the phone to quiz him for his knowledge.

Like you, I just lost my dad, at the end of April.

I am sorry for you loss and I know it is a great loss.

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael, that was just beautiful.
I'm sorry about the loss of your dad.
It sounds like he touched a lot of people's hearts.
Including us right here on the BB.
Thank you for sharing.
love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best wishes to you and your family. Take good care of each other, and be strong. [Smile]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3489 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear your Loss Mike. I lost my dad 3 years ago in March and I still miss him. The hardest part some days is wishing he'd been around to see us accomplish "This" or see our boys do "that"....It gets easier, but not better.

I know we'll see em again in New Jerusalem, but there sure is an empty spot there for now.

I feel your pain.

I hope Darin and the rest of your family are okay. God Bless you Bro.

Barry

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

Wonderful words and feelings you've shared with us about your dad.

My heart goes out to you.

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best wishes from the Campbells.

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Spradling
Visitor
Member # 1615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Spradling   Email Jeff Spradling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for your loss Michael.

Jeff

--------------------
Jeff's Lettering
Lisa,Luke,Dara, and Jeff Spradling
5742 Shattuck Rd. Belvidere, Il.
61008 815-544-0167

Surviving another day.

Posts: 626 | From: Belvidere, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rosemary
Visitor
Member # 1926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rosemary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry. [Frown]

Rosemary

Posts: 764 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your post made me cry and yearn for my dad. I feel your pain.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my deepest sympathies michael. i just turned 61 may 20th...........

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our deepest condolenses to you and yours, Michael. May the Lord be with you always.

Bruce and Dana

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6454 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Daniel
Visitor
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Daniel   Email Susan Daniel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry for your loss Michael, and for yours as well Miles.. [Frown]

--------------------
Susan Daniel
Huntsville, AL

Posts: 53 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Borges de Oliveir
Visitor
Member # 3770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Borges de Oliveir   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Borges de Oliveir   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael,

I'm sorry to hear that. I lost my Father not too long a go also. Your Family will be in our prayers.

--------------------
Charles Borges de Oliveira
Borges Lettering & Design
Snohomish WA

Posts: 352 | From: Snohomish WA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael,
So sorry about your dad. Peace be with you. May his spirit live on in you and his loved ones. It makes me think of my dad, as we lost him also a few years back. He always had a good story for others, and got a lot of pleasure making people smile.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael,
Condolences on the loss of your Father. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing his eulogy and giving us a glimpse of a great man and Father.
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael, I am so sorry to hear about your dad, but so glad to hear that he knew the Lord. That is so very wonderful!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Holohan   Email William Holohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael,
Sympathies and prayers from someone who just got to meet your Dad through your eulogy. Sorry I didn't get to meet him sooner...

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Resting...Read "Between Jobs."
Marlboro, MA 01752
email: firemap1@aol.com

Posts: 1110 | From: Marlboro, MA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael, that's a really nice story, and you're blessed to have had such a man as your father- congratulations- and I'm sorry he had to go so soon, 61 is really young.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael,

So sorry to hear of your loss.

My Dad passed away in April 2000.

I have said many times that if my children think as highly of me as I do of my Dad after I am gone, then my life was a success.

It sounds like your Dad was a very successful man.

I mourn for your loss, and I congratulate you for having the time that you had with him.

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2289 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!