Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Corel X3 Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Corel X3 Question
James Coover
Visitor
Member # 77

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Coover   Email James Coover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem with Corel X3 and Corel 12..the computer hangs up when I reveal the font drop down list and try to select a new font..I have to manually shut the computer down as it takes forever when I hit ctr alt delete to end the program..it is really frustrating.
I have about 400 fonts loaded..but I talk to others who have double that on their machines and do not experience any problems..Do I need to remove Corel 12 and use x3 exclusively..would there but some conflict running both programs??

--------------------
Coover Sign & Design
114 Markwardt
Joplin, Mo 64801

Posts: 111 | From: Joplin, Missouri 64801 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I typically begin having troubles when more than 300 fonts are installed.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I currently have 395 fonts on my 6 year old Win 2000 desktop..Draw 12 used to lag when accessing the dropdown window but X3 has no lag.

The 9 month old laptop (pretty well loaded for power) also used to lag in ver 12 with the dropdown window..but no prob with X3.

You might be best to just uninstall 12 and use only ver X3.

I have only had X3 for about a month and so far I have had no unpleasant surprises at all. (just that the old desktop, which is being replaced as soon as UPS gets here, just doesn't have the processing power or memory or free HD space to keep up to speed)

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got over 900 fonts loaded, running windows 2000 pro, since I got x3, there is no more lag for fonts like I use to have on corel 10

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I currently have 894 fonts loaded and don't have any trouble. One thing I did have to change on my X3 setup was under Options/Text/Fonts. I turned OFF "Use font to display font name". I found out having it ON slowed things down considerably.

I have checked ON "Show flyout with font sample beside font list" and "Show flyout with available font styles beside font list".

I'm using XP Pro with a 3 GHz P4 and 2 GB RAM.

I hope you find your problem.

P.S. If anyone finds that importing .ai files from Flexi immediately crashes Corel, import them with "Preview" OFF. They will import just fine. Engineers are trying to chase down that bug.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip Dave!

(shutting of the "use font to display name" thing)

Never ceases to amaze me how much there is to learn about the program!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an improvement thanks David

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I have had that problem with corel crashing when importing certain files. Go to import and Corel closes up in a flash, and you lose all work up to the point of the last save.

Just found out yesterday that unchecking the preview box seemed to fix the problem.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My preview box is always on and no crashes also no font issues. Might be time to search the Corel X3 Newsgroup see if anyone else has seen this problem. Have you run the Font navigator on your system and found all your fonts? Have you worked with Font navigator open on your system before you start and at the same time CorelDraw is open?

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The preview crash seems to me to be a Flexi problem. It has manifested itself in Corel 10, 11, 12, and X3, while importing .ai files from Flexi 7, 7.5, 7.6, and 8. If I import an .ai file created in Illustrator, or even Corel, it doesn't happen.

In doing our lettering for the awning companies, I sometimes get files generated by their sign company customers. I spec that I want .ai files. I can always tell if the sign company works in Flexi, because Corel will crash.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!