Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Adobe Illustrator file conversion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adobe Illustrator file conversion
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I email a logo file to someone with the newest version of Illustrator to convert to an AI-9 version? I very rarely use this program, so an upgrade is probably wasted money. Thanks very much.

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Sharrard
Resident

Member # 388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Sharrard   Email Robin Sharrard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the latest version you need is CS2...send it on to me and I'ld be more than happy to convert it for you...Robin

--------------------
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Sign
Fallon, Nevada
rds@phonewave.net
"Proud $$$ Supporter"

Posts: 282 | From: Fallon, Nevda, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny, sent it to me as well,

I'm just curious if Corel-X3 will import the latest .ai files.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New versions can read old version, but old version can't read new version...make sense? If you are emailing an Illustrator 9 file and the person recieving this email has Illustrator CS or CS2 they should be able to open it with ease. If there are fonts he may not have them on his system so you may include those or convert type to outlines.

Hope this helps, Sonny.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New versions can read old version, but old version can't read new version...make sense? If you are emailing an Illustrator 9 file and the person recieving this email has Illustrator CS or CS2 they should be able to open it with ease. If there are fonts he may not have them on his system so you may include those or convert type to outlines.

However, new Illustrator versions can save backward. For example, taking a file in Illustrator CS and save it in Illustrator 9 format.

Hope this helps, Sonny.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Robin and Mike - wow, that was fast - the file is on the way along with my appreciation.

Kelsey, I have 9 and the file sent to me was a newer version (and I'm too cheap to upgrade) See you in October at the Dixie Meet.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Luckily you've got some good, quick, friends here that can help. Next time have them convert it before hand.

I'm really lookin' forward to it.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for delay, don't know why but your email got diverted into my spam folder,

Both the .ai and the .eps imported well into X3.

[Smile]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike see what happens if you change the .ai to .pdf will acrobat open it?

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Hmmmph! Surprisingly ... yes

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new .ai files are using the pdf format. COOL!

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!