Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Things Have Really Changed! (a hand lettering story)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Things Have Really Changed! (a hand lettering story)
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was called out to Illinois State University to hand paint 6 inch letters in grayish green over an office door way. "DEAN OF STUDENTS OFFICE" 6" Helvetica letters. Had to be hand painted because every door in the building has 6" hand painted letters over the top of the office doors.

So I made a pounce pattern, gathered my gear and tried to find a parking place at the University.
(another story for another day)

So I tote everything to the 3rd floor of the building, get set up, and then out of no where are 500 students tring to get in and out of the office. (another story for another day)

Almost every signartist out on a job gets the usual attention of how they can paint with a brush and make everything look so good, like " I could never paint anything to save my life" and so on.

Well, not this day. I didn't get any of the usual
sign related questions or comments.

I was standing on my LITTLE GIANT ladder, and everyone was asking me "Is that the one I see on TV? Some even asked me to demonstrate all the features! What am I? A Sellsman for Little Giant?

Nobody gave a care about what I was doing!

When onlookers get more excited about what your standing on than what your doing, its a sad day!

One even told me it would be quicker to do that job in vinyl! (DUH)!

We sign writers are done for! [Frown]

[ April 01, 2006, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Dave Draper ]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And you could tell the punk that the vinyl would only get picked off by student vandals.

...College kids (these days) are a poor audience. Other than partying, all they are focused on is studying, passing and then getting on with the "carreer".

...But, If you had a few obvious TATOOS and various PIERCINGS, then they would all be interested.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a consumer oriented culture....

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We sign writers are done for!"

Don't let that one bug ya, Dave.
Think about the job you were doing...
Replicating a sign with a fairly straight forward font in one color.
I'm sure if you were up there guilding the letters or doing a nice script, they'd have offered to hold the ladder.

It ain't always glamourous, but it pays the bills.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just when I think that dave, someone comes in the shop and sees something I hand lettered or airbrushed, and goes woopy over it.
That makes me realize there is still a place for hand made signs. [Smile]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was doing a window splash and I think I do some pretty nice splashes, well I actually had a guy say to me (with my sign scientist truck sitting next to me) "so are they paying you for that?" So, I say, with a perplexed look on my face..."I don't work for free" Thinking to myself,Is this guy trying to be funny?? Well, I looked at the expression on his face, it didn't seem to be a smart ass remark. I think, in peoples minds, when they see you out there painting youre either the owners nephew or brother in law doing him a favor or you are from an art school doing a charity project or something.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe YOU'RE done for. [Wink] I had to import talent from Minnesota to help hand-letter a job out here. Not because I couldn't do it myself, but the time restrictions required a lot of work in a short time - and having MM here is a hoot!

I know what you mean about the Little Giant though. I get asked about it all the time. They make great ladders, best I've ever used, and they are made in the USA!

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tim meyer
Visitor
Member # 1012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tim meyer   Email tim meyer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This must be Cam unknowingly under Mike's login.

--------------------
Tim Meyer

950 W 2nd St.
Zumbrota, MN 55992
tmpondy@yahoo.com

Mike Meyer's older bro

Posts: 62 | From: Zumbrota, MN, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Tucker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, I remember many years ago when I was trying to decide what to do with my life. I was a young artist and liked to paint pictures, but there was no future in that, at least not for me. So I eventually decided that I wanted to become a sign painter and applied for an apprentice job @ a large local sign company. At that time, sign painters were rapidly being replaced with vinyl plotters but CAD was not prevalent yet. I was hired as a designer, where I stayed humped over a drafting table, pushing a pencil and a T-square. They had a Gerber SignMaker IV that could cut about 6 inches an hour. I still work as a "sign man", but I never did get to brush on a single stroke and I've always admired guys like you 'cause I still think a well-done hand painted sign is is more engaging than anything that was ever done off of a vinyl plotter. However, I ain't about to pay $500.00 fer a ladder! [Wink]

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Posts: 508 | From: Gainesville, Ga. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!