Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » web search rankings?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: web search rankings?
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya 'Heads,
I guess this question would be more or the web savy...
I'm wondering how my website could get ranked higher in the search engines and get ahead of the annoying directory pages, like super pages, etc.
I'm doing ok on most searches for signs and signage in harrisburg. But, when I do a more general search all the other crap comes up.
Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to find someone (Dan Antonelli maybe?) who can help you to optimize your site with keywords. It's complicated and I don't really understand the details but there are very specific things that a web guy can help you do. I manage 3 websites for the company I work for and I have had many instances where our web-tech guy advised me against adding or deleting certain things from our sites as to not mess with the optimization. He has also told me that it's a process and that anything you do put into place will not have immediate results.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark M. Kottwitz
Visitor
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark M. Kottwitz   Author's Homepage   Email Mark M. Kottwitz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The easiest way to do it is to add a meta tag with a description of your site, and a search engine list.

The best thing that I did was get the web site books for dummies ("Building a web site", "Web Design", "Web mastering", and "Creating web graphics") for a handy referce.

Check your e-mail. I will send you the section from my online class, so you can read it at your own pace (and I know Steve would not be happy if I posted it here, because it's around 12 pages prined out.)

I looked and you do have your meta tags set...but you will like the strategys that I am sending you...

[ March 14, 2006, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Mark M. Kottwitz ]

--------------------
Mark Kottwitz
Kottwitz Graphics
Ridgely, MD
www.SeeMySignWork.com
--------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 746 | From: Ridgely, MD | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Mark and thank you!
If for some reason you get a failure notice when you email me, would you please send it to my yahoo address instead? It's checkers_custom@yahoo.com
I appear to be having problems with my email today.

Thanks,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Registering your site on dmoz works well also.
http://dmoz.org/
Metatags are way important too, webdevelopers can offer more info.
For locality searches assuming you get the right category etc, dmoz seems to still be the source of preference for the major search engines.
HTH

--------------------
David Fisher
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Services
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com
Trying out a new tag:
"Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth
Peter Ustinov

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James McLain
Visitor
Member # 4877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James McLain   Author's Homepage   Email James McLain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to pay, you can use Google Adwords. I've used it successfully for a couple years now. It is actually not that expensive compared to the business it generates.

You're not actually showing up as a search result, but as an Ad on the top or right side of the search page.

A few bucks here and there on Pay-Per-Click ads can really draw in a lot of new customers (at least it has for me). Plus, with Google, you can turn it on and off at will. Put the ad "on" 'til you get busy, then turn it back off.

--------------------
Jim McLain
McLain Studios
1203 Main Street
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
jlm@mclainstudios.com

Posts: 42 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an article coming up in Sign Business that addresses the issues on what to look for when hiring a firm to work on the site, and things sites need to include to be better optimized for SEO results.

Its huge how important it is.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!