Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Photoshop help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Photoshop help
Mike Stowe
Visitor
Member # 324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Stowe   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Stowe       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello...

I was wondering if there are any photoshop tutorials where I can laern the techniques used to change the color on the pt shown below.

I would like to preserve the highlights & shadows & just change the overall "tint" of the car without affecting the background or wheels/tires & black trim.

Do you do this by creating a mask?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

-

[ March 10, 2006, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Mike Stowe ]

--------------------
Mike Stowe
Signs Unlimited
Mishawaka, IN
info@pwcgraphics.com

Posts: 208 | From: Mishawaka, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes Mike, create a mask over the area (+)you don't want to change- then the background is the only parts affected by your effects- so to speak

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Stowe
Visitor
Member # 324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Stowe   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Stowe       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THanks for the info...
That is kinda what I was thinking, but how do you color the section & still preserve the highlights & shadows?

Thanks again for te help!
Mike

--------------------
Mike Stowe
Signs Unlimited
Mishawaka, IN
info@pwcgraphics.com

Posts: 208 | From: Mishawaka, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a "Replace Color" option in Photoshop, but it's been a while since I used it. Try a Google search for "photoshop replace color" and I think you'll find what you're after.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just get my selection... then go images > adjust > hue & saturation... like this:

-

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

Create a new Adjustment Layer, set it to hue/saturation, layer blending mode: Normal, then check the "Colorize" box in the Hue/Saturation dialog that comes up. Adjust the hue, saturation til preferred then click OK.

Now when you look in the layers palette the new layer will have a mask box in it automatically. Click on that mask box (filled with white) to make sure you're actively "painting" in it, now erase the parts of the image you don't want affected by the color.

I'll email you a file, it's pretty easy to setup.

-

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, thanks Mike.. that helps!
 -

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Stowe
Visitor
Member # 324

Thanks for all the help everyone!
These techniques will really help out on future design projects.

Have a great weekend!
Mike

--------------------
Mike Stowe
Signs Unlimited
Mishawaka, IN
info@pwcgraphics.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!