Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » welding designs together

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: welding designs together
Mary Wallace
Visitor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary Wallace   Email Mary Wallace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am working with Flexi-sign and when I try to weld a design together it still stays cut apart. I have tried grouping, ungrouping and it still won't weld. Is there a step I have missed?

Thanks,
Mary

--------------------
Mary Wallace
Unique DeSigns
#1 Industrial Drive
Vandalia, MO 63382
mwallace@vandaliamo.net

Posts: 26 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul McDowell
Visitor
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul McDowell   Author's Homepage   Email Paul McDowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to release any masks, or effects before welding. If it still doesnt work make sure the outline is completely closed and convert the object to outlines. Look closely at the object to make sure there isnt a second line on top of the first.

If those dont work Im not sure what else im missing.

--------------------
Paul McDowell
7 Hills Signs
Virginia

Posts: 84 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Perkins
Visitor
Member # 296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Perkins   Email Mark Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you have to release compound, make sure all pieces you want to weld together are the same color.

--------------------
Mark Perkins
Performance Signs &
Graphics
Eunice, Louisiana
"The heart of Cajun
Country"

Posts: 506 | From: Eunice Louisiana 70535 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would call tech support.

Sometimes in SignWizard, I have to weld a piece on which is common to both or bridges between the two. I will weld it to the one piece, then weld that to the other. Then sometimes, one of the images will disappear during a weld. If that happens, I will either do the same as stated above or cookie cut a rectangle within the offending part and sometimes that does it. Also, your two pieces could have lines which are on top of one another.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several scenarios where this could happen:

If the objects you wish to weld are different colors, you need to check your settings under "Effects", "Combine", and "Combine Options". There is a check box under "Combine Options" entitled "Weld Based on Color". Unclick that box and you can weld objects of different colors together.

Also, if you are working on a file sent to you, such as a .pdf, there are often two copies of each element on the page, one has the outline, the other has the fill. You might be indeed welding objects together but still seeing another set there. You can click on your elements one at a time and delete them and see if you still have one left. Please note that if it is a combined object with a cut out section, for example an "O", you will need to ungroup or break apart (depending on how it came in) that object to delete the second set.

Another possibility is that your objects "kiss". Sometimes, Flexi will weld objects that touch but not overlap, other times it doesn't. When I'm in that situation, I just edit the nodes of one a bit until they overlap and then the weld works fine.

I hope one of these is your solution.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!