Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Best printer for the money

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best printer for the money
Mark La May
Visitor
Member # 1644

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mark La May   Author's Homepage   Email Mark La May       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,
You all have been so helpful in the past it's time for me to ask the experts again.
That would be you.
I'm thinking of getting a printer/cutter.
Which one would be the best for the money?
I've got a one man shop so lets not get out of hand on the price.
Thanks, Mark

--------------------
Mark La May
H.B.W.T. Signs & Silk Screening
N9205 US Highway 141
Crivitz, WI 54114

Posts: 28 | From: Crivitz, WI. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you need it to do? What does your market need?

There are a lot of printers out there. Don't know of any that are the best at everything. Some are better for wraps than others. I've never even been asked to do a wrap & have no interest in doing them anyway so a printer that is great for wraps & sucks for everything else would be worthless in my shop. See what I mean? Need to decide what you need in a printer before you can choose one.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark La May
Visitor
Member # 1644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark La May   Author's Homepage   Email Mark La May       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris,
That' the thing, I'm not sure what all I need it to do.
I know I would need it to do a long lasting truck layout. Digital pictures on signs ETC.

--------------------
Mark La May
N9205 US Highway 141
Crivitz, WI 54114

Posts: 28 | From: Crivitz, WI. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My suggestion is to locate a wholesale service and purchase through them. I use Gregory.

As time goes by, you should be able to build your market. As you see patterns develop in your market, you'll have a better picture of what to buy.

I run a Gerber Edge and my market keeps it pretty busy. I don't have a wide format printer because I rarely ever get a call for it. What few I do is farmed out to Gregory, I mark it up and install.

However, for someone else the reverse maybe true.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Glenn. I have a CJ 500 converted to Eco solvent. I hate it. When I'm doing full color stuff for boats I get them done on a Vutek or Scotchprinter.

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Glenn, how's things, Glen have you ever imagined that if you had a wide format that the demand would actually find you, that's what I'm finding, Don't think that you would'nt have a market for it, because it is there. I'm printing less on my Edge and more on my Versacam.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I needed to increase my production and just added a UV flatbed to cut down on labor. The SolJet still has a huge place for my printing needs. Its ideal for banners and contour cut graphics.

But...Unless you do have a ready market for digital printing, I would suggest you take Glenn's advice. I starting selling digital prints close to ten years ago by outsourcing to Gregory. ScotchPrints hold up very well for outdoor.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark La May
Visitor
Member # 1644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark La May   Author's Homepage   Email Mark La May       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,
Yah I know all about Gregory. That's where I have been getting my printing done for about 3 years.
Before I got my cutter I used to get my vinyl lettering from them too.
I still buy 90% of my vinyl from them.

--------------------
Mark La May
N9205 US Highway 141
Crivitz, WI 54114

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil,

I have two competitors in town with wideformat printers. Both of them are struggling to keep them busy trying to do full color banners and partial vehicle wraps.

I chose to go a different route. The Edge compliments the screen printing side of our business better than a WF printer would.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would know your Market better than anyone would Glenn. Nice hearing from you.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Mark,
The best printer for your money is something that is going to make you money and it will have a short ROI (return on investment). So, it really depends on your business and the products you're already selling.
If you're already selling wide format digital prints on a regular basis and making money on them, that may be where you want to go. Or, if you're doing a lot of smaller, multi-colored fleet graphics, an Edge may be a better solution.
The biggest thing you have to remember is that the purchase of the printer may just be a small part of the equation. Once you own a printer, there is training/education, complementary equipment and inventory, maintenance and downtime, and perhaps a shop build-out. And these are just some of the things you must consider before you upgrade.
If you don't think the process through from start to finish, you may discover that none of these options are right for you and you're stuck making payments on a very expensive boat anchor [Smile]

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checkers sums it all up in his post. Very well put!

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Agreed!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start promoting and selling the work now then watch your market trends to see where you should invest your money.

You can't sell it if you don't promote it, whether or not you have the equipment isn't even an issue.

I was at another local shop a couple weeks ago getting a price on a print and they had a customer they were discussing a job with. They were talking about stripes, vinyl and paint options for trucks with matching trailers. The customer owns a custom cabinet shop, HUGE HUGE market for that stuff here with all the homes, low end and high end, going up here.

Not once did digital printing come up during their conversation.

By the way, I was standing up, leaning against their VersaCamm which incidentally wasn't printing anything.

I couldn't resist. I peeped into the conversation and asked the customer "What about having large photographs of your installed cabinets printed and applied to your trucks and trailers? You could make your entire rig a rolling portfolio."

His eyes lit up like you would not believe! "You can do that?!" he exclaims.
Well, of course he wouldn't know it can be done. No one around here is pushing full color printing. Nobody is pushing design to the limits.

That is why I'm getting a little more aggressive in the local market. If I can convince people of the benefits their businesses would receive and get them to let loose of the money for it, I could clean up in this town simply on design.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you don't think the process through from start to finish, you may discover that none of these options are right for you and you're stuck making payments on a very expensive boat anchor"
How true that is! How many shops have some piece of originally expensive equipment being used as a coat rack.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Williams
Resident

Member # 4372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need some one to do some wide printing from time to time.
what is Gregory's Phone number, etc... Info.
Thanks
Ray Williams

--------------------
Ray Williams
Key Advertising /Signs by Ray
301 Elberon Court
Chesapeake Va.
keyadvertising1@cox.net

Posts: 26 | From: Chesapeake Va. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark La May
Visitor
Member # 1644

Yah Checkers ,
I hear that!
The area I'm in is all recreational.
The closes industry or city is about 70 miles away.
Supper clubs, taverns, resorts & all sorts of toy stores. (Boats, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc.)
The problem is better then half of the sign business still goes to the city.
I'm thinking that the ability to do digital printing with out having to take the time to order it out would be a big help in keeping the orders up here.

--------------------
Mark La May
N9205 US Highway 141
Crivitz, WI 54114

Mark La May
Visitor
Member # 1644

Hi Ray,
800-835-2221 is Gregory's phone no.
The book is sitting on top of the pile on my desk.

--------------------
Mark La May
N9205 US Highway 141
Crivitz, WI 54114

Ray Williams
Resident

Member # 4372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Mark I will give them a call.
always thankful for the help.
everyone, have a great day.
Ray Williams

--------------------
Ray Williams
301 Elberon Court
Chesapeake Va.
keyadvertising1@cox.net

Posts: 26 | From: Chesapeake Va. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

When you call Gregory, be sure they know where you heard about them - right here in Letterville.

[ February 11, 2006, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Ray Williams
Resident

Member # 4372

Called Gregory today, mention That I found out about them from the residents on Letterheads.com.
And that Several members Had recommended them. Now I am just waiting for my catalog.
Thanks Again Everybody
Ray

--------------------
Ray Williams
301 Elberon Court
Chesapeake Va.
keyadvertising1@cox.net

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!