Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Your Next New Vehicle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Next New Vehicle
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was listening to C.B.C Radio, to an investigative report type of show. The essence of that program was that independant service technicians ( mechanics ) are being isolated and frozen out by major auto makers. The issue revolves around special tools and diagnostic software necessary to do service work on newer vehicles.Auto makers will not sell these tools or make them available to independant service garages. These special tools and software are only available at the dealerships, so that once you've purchased a specific brand of vehicle....you're basically married to the dealerships for any service work you may require.

There will be absolutely NO COMPETITIVE OPTION.

Independant service garages may soon become extinct, and the people who work there will have the option of going to work for a dealership, or seeking another trade.

Something to possibly consider, when you go to purchase your next new vehicle.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The independent mechanics should invest some money into learning those new tools at schools because dealer mechanics are getting paid BIG BUCK$$$ these days.

If you have the skills and already have the experience you're in a better position.

These kids going from trade school to dealership are bringing home $50k+ because of their knowledge of the high tech systems. The experienced guys at the german dealerships can bring home 75-100k.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken

I worked for a Ford dealer late 80's- early 90's. This has been a practice for 30+ years. The independant garage has always managed to survive.

I use an independant facility for oil changes, brakes, suspension and such, but for the drivability issues, or electrical, I always head for the dealership.

Believe it or not is much less expensive that way. No one facility can even pretend to know all makes and models from bumper to bumper. If he does, he is a liar.

I can't tell you how many times at the dealership people changed parts on a guess, (spending hundreds of dollars in the process) when it was something that cost next to nothing.

An example that comes to mind is that in the late 80's, some guys would come out tostart their truck and the battery would be dead. They would buy a new battery from NAPA, maybe cables, and replace the alternator. Still battery would go dead. Only AFTER spending big money and time, they would call the dealership. Almost always it was a fuel pump relay, ($14 retail from Ford). In 90 seconds they could change it themself.

Kinda funny, don't you think? [Confused]

Now, before you all flame me, I know there are rip off dealerships. I just happened to work for a good stable one. Plus they didn't mind if I did signs and graphics at night. [Wink]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3488 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul McDowell
Visitor
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul McDowell   Author's Homepage   Email Paul McDowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe there is a law that allows auto manufacturers to be the sole source of repair parts and tools for 3 years. After three years anyone can make knockoff or rebuilt parts.

I did notice that Cali is trying to increase regulation on auto parts:
http://www.abrn.com/abrn/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=301207

--------------------
Paul McDowell
7 Hills Signs
Virginia

Posts: 84 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that education is really the issue Mike. Even if a mechanic has the knowledge and experience to use those new tools, he simply can not acquire them. The US situation is different, in thet your EPA has mandated that these special tools and software MUST BE made available to independant service garages. Since vehicles are required to pass stringent emission guidelines mandated by your EPA, the tools to make that happen must be made available to non-dealership mechanics.

That ISN'T the case here in Canada. Several mechanics have attempted to purchase tools stateside, but were immediately refused, when they offered a Canadian credit card as payment.

The Canadian situation basically means that if you purchase a Ford product, you have to go to ONLY a Ford dealership for service to that new vehicle. It boils down to the major auto manufacturers having you as a "captive market" with an ever diminishing possibility of any competitive option.

I'm looking for the dealership shop rates to increase dramatically, as the independants get frozen and starved out. [Frown]

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken said "I don't think that education is really the issue Mike. Even if a mechanic has the knowledge and experience to use those new tools, he simply can not acquire them."
------------------
I agree. The mechanic would have too much time tied up in "re-education" and too much money in mew equipment. He couldn't keep up. This is where Planned Obsolescence has been taking us for 50-some years. And it works (so far) because consumers keep on buying it. It's their money, so let 'em.

If I ever get another truck, it will be a restored classic Chevy or Ford. Parts are still made (see www.LMCtruck.com) and usually cost less than similar functions on new vehicles. If by now there's a Toyota with a reliable system of replacement parts, I'd consider that as well.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken, what I was saying is, if the independent mechanics are facing a squeeze-out anyway (in otherwords, forced out of business), they'd be smart to get some training on the new stuff and get jobs at the dealers if they intend to stay in that line of business.

Hmm.. start up a new business from scratch in some other industry.. or remain up to date so you can at least work at a dealership using the skills you've already invested so much time in.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!