Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » SignLab problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SignLab problem
James Coover
Visitor
Member # 77

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Coover   Email James Coover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just developed a quirk in SignLab 5.0 I am unable to use the import command either from the file menu or the import icon to get a file into the program I have to open My computer and drag the file..I'm reluctant to re-install the program as I encountered problems in the past..it seems 5.0 and Window XP don't get along

Can anyone help??
Jim at Dodge City Sign Co.

--------------------
Coover Sign & Design
114 Markwardt
Joplin, Mo 64801

Posts: 111 | From: Joplin, Missouri 64801 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same thing here from day one James. I've never been able to use the import and it's not windows xp that's the problem as I don't have it installed on that particular computer.

I use cut, reopen a new file and paste. It's a real pain that Signlab can't open more than one file at a time. Or can it now? I gave up waiting for that feature.

[ January 31, 2006, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Donna in BC ]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Droog
Visitor
Member # 3958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Droog   Email Frank Droog       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happens when you try?
You click on File/Import ?
You change the files of type to the type you want?
Does it show any files of that type when you browse to a folder?
Does it go throught the motions of import but nothing apprears?
What file type is it, or is it all file types?

The only immediate thing i can think of is that your Signlab5.ini file is corrupt
In there is a list of import filters to use based on extension.

If its a corrupt INI file, its not to hard to fix manually via notepad and some copy/paste from a good INI file.

--------------------
Frank Droog
SignLab
programmer

Posts: 91 | From: ottawa,ont,Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happens when you try?

If I have a file open, and attempt to import another file, it closes down the original, however will import the new item in a brand new file. So in a round about way, import works, but not properly.

You click on File/Import ?

Yes.

You change the files of type to the type you want?

I am able to export the file into something else. I don't use import for that. Is that what you meant? LOL

Does it show any files of that type when you browse to a folder?

The preview works, if that's what you mean.

Does it go throught the motions of import but nothing apprears?

Sometimes, yes.

What file type is it, or is it all file types?

I generally only import signlab files. I paste in corel files.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
open up the folder that the file is in and "drag the file " over into the open signlab program

jason d

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

That doesn't work in my program Jason. You can't have two signlab files open at once. Or do you open Signlab twice to defeat this?!?

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok that happened to me once but i have no clue on how it got fixed

sorry

jason d

[ January 31, 2006, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Jason Davie ]

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this feature of Signlab is disappointing.
7.1 is no better, unless I haven't found the trick yet.
I may have had as many as ten open files when I used to work in Graphics Advantage. Signlab has a lot of sweet features, but the one-file-at-a-time thing is an annoyance. Forces you to kinda work on one project at a time.

Oh well, my friend Pam says I don't multi-task well anyway.

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

try going into the signlab folder and find the inifixer and double click on that and see if that helps

jason d

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Scott Baker
Visitor
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Baker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use COREL! [Rolling On The Floor]

Jason, you should stop by sometime, I'm in Binghamton.

--------------------
Scott Baker

Posts: 102 | From: Binghamton, NY ----- USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Scott, I DO and love it! But Signlab simply does SOME things better. But not all. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

You bet Scott, I'm up there all the time didn't realise there were any other letterheads in the area

Jason D

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Hubert Furey
Visitor
Member # 3951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Furey   Email Hubert Furey       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to have 2 CDL files opened on the same screen you need to have the Merge option enabled. Go to File > Import and place a check mark in the Merge box. Does this help?

If you want more than one CDL file open at a time then you want to use the latest ver 7.1. 7.1 supports Multiple Instance which allows for opening multiple CDL files in different SignLab windows. For current 7.1 users this option is enabled under Options > Multiple Instance. Requires a checkmark next to the option name.

--------------------
Hubert Furey
Technical Support
Cadlink Technology Corp.
Ottawa, Canada

Posts: 26 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!