Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » My Corel X3 Trial - What have you found!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Corel X3 Trial - What have you found!
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Phillips   Email Doug Phillips       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what I've found out so far...

The Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer feature is a hidden gem!! It should have been on the top of the new features list!! Go into the Window drop down menu and check under dockers it's buried there!

Other new or enhanced features I tried so far.

The real time fit text to path is a great improvement!

Contouring is better only in that it is not as node heavy, but it tends to create a lot of random "node hairs" that you have to clean up. Converting outlines to object creates the same "hairs". They really need to fix this one.

The bevel feature is nice but real entry level.

The smart fill tool is a real time saver!

The create boundary feature is the same as convert to curves as far as I can tell. It just places a duplicate on top of the original.

The extrude function is much improved, but still needs node reduction on curves!

A simple Step and Repeat function (in the edit menu)is something we have needed for a long time - finally!

I haven't really dug into the trace feature yet (next day or two) but it seems to be an improvement.

OK anyone else have any comments or hidden features??

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Denali Design Signs & Tees
Anchorage, Alaska

Posts: 316 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Downey
Merchant

Member # 829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Downey   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Downey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to check your fonts that you are contouring when you get the fly aways. If you leave the contour attached next time and node edit the font you will see what is causing your problem.

keep digging there is lots of improvements. Photopaint has some nice changes. Image adjustment lab is fantastic for digital picture editing. Also the cutout tool is Corel knockout built into the program.

--------------------
Creativeink Design Group
3080 Perth Line 33, R.R. 4
Stratford, Ontario, Canada N5A 6S5
www.creativeink.ca
design@creativeink.ca

Posts: 372 | From: Stratford, Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Sharrard
Resident

Member # 388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Sharrard   Email Robin Sharrard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is one I'd like to know if they have changed? Not sure if I'm explaining it wright, but I'll try. When you convert text to an object, and want to perform modifications to each leter as an individual object, ya got to unlock the string of objects, ie...converted text (or seperate the objects, don't remember the exact command) As soon as you do that, any letters that contain center cut outs, such as R,O,P...etc, disapear. Yes they are still there, its just an extra step in the process to weld them together with the main letter before doing anything else with it. I own SignLab and when you convert text to Graphic, its one step...boom your done, everthing is an individual object and ya don't have to go find the centers and seperatly weld then together. For this reason alone, I might completely give up SignLab...NA, in my opinun, nothing beats SignLab for node editing. Robin

--------------------
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Sign
Fallon, Nevada
rds@phonewave.net
"Proud $$$ Supporter"

Posts: 282 | From: Fallon, Nevda, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Downey
Merchant

Member # 829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Downey   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Downey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin

In Corel you can break the text apart right down to the letter without even having to convert it to a curve. Once you are done your editing you can convert it if you like or just export it to cut. In the new program you will see a hint docker that works well.

--------------------
Creativeink Design Group
3080 Perth Line 33, R.R. 4
Stratford, Ontario, Canada N5A 6S5
www.creativeink.ca
design@creativeink.ca

Posts: 372 | From: Stratford, Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Phillips   Email Doug Phillips       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug,
The "node hairs" on the contour and convert outline to object isn't just happening on text it happens on other shapes as well.

Contour results
 -

Convert outlines to object results
 -

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Anchorage, Alaska

Posts: 316 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin I have used Signlab version 5 and it was out around the sametime as CorelDraw version 7 I think. Well you must be living in a different world if you really think Signlab has better node editing than CorelDraw. Dose anyone think Signlab is better for node editing?

As for your example try it this way first remove the fill and then maybe put on an outline then you will be able to see the centre parts of the letters or work in wireframe mode. I put a button on a tool bar to change from normal view to wireframe mode. Also what Doug said will help you out.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's weird...i have never noticed those node hairs. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Sharrard
Resident

Member # 388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Sharrard   Email Robin Sharrard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Guys...its like is said over and over on this forum, it's what you started with that is the most comfortible to use. I spent 3 years with SignLab before I got serious with Corel Draw. I always find myself going back to SignLab, cause thats what I'm most comfortible with. The text thing, for me, just seems like an extra step in the process that is not necessary, and very frustrating at certain times. Guess that is the price you pay for having options with text manipulation in Corel, that are more difficult to perform in other programs. Robin

--------------------
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Sign
Fallon, Nevada
rds@phonewave.net
"Proud $$$ Supporter"

Posts: 282 | From: Fallon, Nevda, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Karyn,
I never had these "node hairs" in prior versions it must be a new feature in X3 (at least the trial version). [Frown]

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Anchorage, Alaska

Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Here is the feature I like the best so far!

-

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Anchorage, Alaska

Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had a hard time getting it to install? I did. I tried on two different computers.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Sharrard
Resident

Member # 388

Can it be installed and run without removing your curent version?

--------------------
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Sign
Fallon, Nevada
rds@phonewave.net
"Proud $$$ Supporter"

Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura - No. Luckily it installed OK for me.

Robin - Yes. You can install it without removing your current version. The installation uses a completely different set of directories. Also, i started with SignLab and moved to Corel and initially i liked the node editing in SignLab. But if you spend some time with Corel node editing i think you will find it is very intuitive and (IMHO) better than SignLab. Corel can be a bit daunting because it does so much but it is very consistent in the way features work so once you get used to the "mindset" of the program things work exactly like you think they should.

Also, i suggest you watch the training videos on Lynda.com. I revisit them periodically and always learn (or relearn) something new.

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I crashed it three times in three minutes and went back to Corel 12 for the project I'm working on. I had hoped it would save me some time on this job.

I'm designing a complicated sign package for a major corporation's training center. Among all the other elements, I have plenty of paragraph text, with different sizes of text in the paragraphs, that I have to rescale since this customer's preferences have been a moving target. I haven't found out an easy way to rescale paragraph text when I rescale the object--I always have to manually resize the text in each paragraph.

It sounds like there's some nice enhancements in X3 but it's too buggy for my use at this point.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I crashed it twice just trying the new features out. Still a little leary from this end!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to re-down load it ,, to get it to install,, Thats nothing to sweat.. So far it runs good for me.. I like it ..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ended up having to download again and then I was able to install it fine.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I luv the Font previews.. and the perfect shapes. and the autofill..
the font list options..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photopaint Knockout really kicks butt! Also, there is now a "reduce" nodes option now that works very well!

[ January 21, 2006, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Bob Stephens ]

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott Baker
Visitor
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Baker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any idea on how long it will take Roland to figure out a way to create a cut line?

--------------------
Scott Baker

Posts: 102 | From: Binghamton, NY ----- USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis de Leon
Visitor
Member # 5844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis de Leon   Author's Homepage   Email Denis de Leon       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had problems with an illustrator file. Once I imported the illustrator file it stopped working. I could work on other files illustrator files though so I figured it had problems with specific features or versions of illustrator.

I was just testing Corel Draw 12 when I downloaded X3 by mistake. Figured i'd try it anyway. It saved me on one file and then I had the illustrator problem on another.

- denis

--------------------
Denis de Leon
Creative Signcrafters
125 Railroad Avenue, suite 4
Hightstown, NJ 08520

Posts: 128 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Any idea on how long it will take Roland to figure out a way to create a cut line?
Scott...I'm not sure what you mean specifically, but Being able to cut with a Roland cutter from CorelDraw has nothing to do with the version of CorelCraw, but rather, the operating system you are using.

At this point, drivers are available for virtually every Windows operating system.

If you are using Windows, you can cut from any version of Draw, including this newest version.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Bump.

Lets hear more hidden gems! I've only got 9 more days left!

[ January 24, 2006, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Doug Phillips ]

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Anchorage, Alaska

Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very best news we could all hear is that Corel is finally recognizing how many sign shops use their program. We are hoping they will see the benefits of having a paid rep here in Letterville to answer questions.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you use the Corel Newsgroups and you should that is where you will hear about all of the issues that are popping up. One that bugs me is the export to swf filter is not right and needs fixing. I think the vector hairs I can deal with right now I am sure my plotter would just ignore them.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The vector 'hairs' that you are referring to are simply a tool. When two nodes are in very close proximity, corel x3 will create a false control node separated by a short 'hair' that makes it easier to select or manipulate the nodes individually. If you zoom (maximum zoom) in on the hairs in wireframe mode you'll see what I mean.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike is right. I wasn't able to see where the nose hairs had any effect on the geometry of the shape or font.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

I have not had time to check yet do they print out with an inkjet printer or a laser as spikes?

If they do not then they are not an issue. But that being said Corel Draw does not NEED to put 2 nodes so close together.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't print or cut, they're not even visible on screen unless the node editing tool is selected, and as far as needing 2 nodes so close together I can see the necessity if one is a cusp and one is smooth, that's part of the algorithm in the software to work out. It's not like X3 is creating a whole lot of nodes, ther're way fewer than any previous version. All in all it's a non-issue.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for clearing that up Mike.
That would explain why the same file would have them in X3 and not in 12. [Roll Eyes]
They are probably handy, but they will take some getting used to. I find them distracting when I am tring to guage the overall flow of the lines. It seemed like far too big a thing to have slipped through. [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!