Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Intermediate Vinyl On A Banner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Intermediate Vinyl On A Banner
Robert Graham
Visitor
Member # 1167

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Robert Graham   Email Robert Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to do a 6' x 10' banner that will be mounted flat against a wall and theoretically short term (6 months to a year). It will be on 13 oz. material. I generally use premium vinyl but was wondering about intermediate as a cost savings measure. My supplier tells me that it will work just fine especially since the banner will be against a flat surface and not subject to rolling, re-use, and re-rolling. Opinions?

--------------------
Robert Graham
Grahamsville Signs
1120 E McReavy Road
Union, Washington 98592
360-898-2260
Fax 360-898-2262
e-mail:gvs@hctc.com

Posts: 135 | From: Union,Washington - USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Long
Visitor
Member # 5881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan Long   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Long       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 months to a year and not being rolled and unrolled? Intermediate would be 100% ok.

--------------------
Ryan Long
Magic Light Neon Sign Co.
Crawfordsville, IN

Posts: 132 | From: Crawfordsville, IN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX ScooterX has just turned 57
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the only negatives to intermediate is that its a teensy bit harder to cut and apply to banners (because most banners have some texture, so you gotta press the squeegee harder and use more cutting force on your blade).

Even if your customer leaves this up for 2 years you'll have no problems. I buy intermediate vinyl for exactly this sort of job -- as long as you're not buying a big roll of 24" wide vinyl in a color you'll never use again.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much are you going to "save" in material cost?
$20?

Unless you are using intermediate vinyl all the time, savings are minimal on any job. Especially if you have to buy in small amounts of colors. Plus you have nearly twice the amount of money invested in stock of two different grades.

The only real savings in vinyl costs are by buying full rolls at the best price!

Never trust a customer's estimate of time it's going to be exposed. I can show you plenty of tacky "temporary" signage around this town with low grade vinyl that proves this point!

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Never trust a customer's estimate of time it's going to be exposed.
Amen to that! Some years ago in December, a customer wanted the absolute cheapest option available to cover their existing sign with the new name for their property. They said they would order a new masonry replacement sign in January, they just had to get through the end of the month, and they wanted it CHEAP.

We coated some 1/8" hardboard with whatever paint we had on hand and lettered it with some intermediate vinyl I was trying to get rid of. We nailed in on with roofing nails. Three and a half years later, they called back, asking me if I could come and "freshen" up the sign.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Robert,
Intermediate vinyl on a banner will be fine for several years as long as the banner is installed correctly.
During a recent visit back to the old neighborhood, I saw a couple of my banners mounted to a wall and they still look o.k. after nearly 7 years.
Back then I was using 13 oz banners from Ameriban and Arlon's CalPlus vinyl.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fixin to do (2) 4'x14' banners - am using 14 oz. Bannermax With sewn in webbing & gussets in corners - Oracal 651 for copy - will be installed by customer 'bout 30' up on brick wall - should last 2 yrs. minimum depending on quality of fasteners they use -that is the key - stretch it tight & make sure it stays - building should be leased or sold by then.

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Vartanian
Visitor
Member # 6113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Vartanian   Email Paul Vartanian       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
intermediate vinyl will work perfectly fine. I've done many quick banners like this that were up for 1-2 years and still going strong

--------------------
Paul Vartanian
Paul Vartanian Signs
8 Lord Terrace, Woburn, MA 01801
617-780-7684

Posts: 16 | From: Woburn, MA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mayby you should look into getting it directly printed on the banner. There is a company in Toronro Canada that does it wholesale for aprox$2.25/ft. 48 delivery. That includes 13oz banner material. They will also hemm and grommet for very little more. Not worth the while even loading up the material in the cutter! I'm sure you could fine a supplier in the states that does wholesale printed banner.

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!