Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Self Sealing Cutting Mat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Self Sealing Cutting Mat
Randy W. Robarge
Visitor
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy W. Robarge   Author's Homepage   Email Randy W. Robarge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Letterheads,

I've been using two tables - one for cutting/messy work, and the other for taping and times I need a smooth surface (it's an old countertop that's really smooth). I figured if I used the cutting table to tape, I might get bubbles trapped where the gouges and scrapes are.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting one of those 4'x8' self sealing cutting mats to use on one of my tables. If I buy one, does it seal itself enough that you can tape on it, too? One table would be great.

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

--------------------
Randy
Graphic Details
Promotional Merchandise Distributor
South Glens Falls, NY

Posts: 381 | From: South Glens Falls, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Checca
Visitor
Member # 2216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Checca   Email Al Checca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Randy, I get mine from speedpress. I buy 4 x 8 and 5 x 10They last about 2 or 3 years, and are not "healing mats" I wear one side out flip them over, destroy the other side then buy a new one. If I recall they are only about 100 bucks. I used to love to work off glass but you can go threw a lot more knife blades on glass.

--------------------
Al Checca
Kidney dialysis Pt.
wizard42171967@yahoo.com

Posts: 261 | From: Latrobe just outside Pittsburgh Pa in Latrobe | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We love ours. We have tried all types of table tops (glass, wood, sintra, pressed board, sandblast mask, etc) and these are the best. You cna custom order them any size. Our is 12X3' and we ordered the optional graphed liner underneath. That graph used to be printed right on the top of the mat but now it is a seperate piece that you put under the mat. The graph helps us with keeping things straight but you wouldn't need that.
We ordered ours from Speedpress too.

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tape on mine.

I bought 2 at once thinking I'd only get 2-3 years. (I don't get many 4x8 pallets shipped out here, & my supplier said shipping it rolled was not reccommended.) I finally flipped over the first one after about 5 years, & mostly because it was getting dingy looking & the whiter side looked better. I got mine (w/o grid) for $100 ea.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Checca
Visitor
Member # 2216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Checca   Email Al Checca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've have quite a few over the years and a ton of cutting on them. Bought them rolled, they roll so when you unroll them the correct side is up and it only takes a day or two for them to lay flat. I buy the ones with out the grid also. They place double stick tape on the underside if you want to use it, I never do.
They last much long if you cut with and exacto type of knife. I have to cut showcard with a utility knife and they are much harder on them.
Money well spent to buy one. I would go threw a ton of knife blades when we used glass. I'd break the tips on exacto's all the time.

--------------------
Al Checca
Kidney dialysis Pt.
wizard42171967@yahoo.com

Posts: 261 | From: Latrobe just outside Pittsburgh Pa in Latrobe | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeepers, why do you guys buy this expensive stuff??? Call your plastic supplier and order 1/4" High Molecular Weight Polyethelene. It's the same thing they are selling as "self healing" mats. You'll cut thru the 1/8" thick stuff so be sure to get the thicker stuff. I've used the same pieces for the last 10 years and they've still got at least that much life left. Drill and countersink the screws into your tables.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want them to last even longer, use an OLFA Rotary Cutter instead of the x-acto. I weed, cut, and tape on the same table. Mine is about 11 years old, and I am thinking about flipping it over at the end of the year. Don't know why, it ain't hurt, just thinking about it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2337 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce & Deb Newton   Email Bruce & Deb Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We cut on ours, tape graphics, mix paint, etc. When it get real ruff from cuts and paint spills, we just break out the hand sanding block with 100 grit and give it a quick scrub.

Probably had it for ten years now - maybe it's time to flip it! I think it's 1/4" polyethelene
kind.

[ November 14, 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Bruce & Deb Newton ]

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Posts: 126 | From: San Marcos, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a 4x8 from Grimco ($126.00). It came rolled up in a box. Two weeks now and it still has humps in it, will not go flat. I am about ready to toss the thing and go back to my old sheet of mdo. Now I think I will take Ricky's suggestion.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
Dunlap, Tennessee

Posts: 618 | From: Dunlap, Tennessee | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!