Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Corel Draw Co-cut

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Corel Draw Co-cut
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Lovelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have considering purchasing Co-Cut for running my plotter from corel draw and illustrator file. I welcome any comments. i have a Mimkai CG-60 and and old Ioline studio 7.

chris

--------------------
"We have been making house calls since 1992"

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Posts: 707 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Milne
Visitor
Member # 4621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Milne   Email Rick Milne       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris,
I bought the CoCut with my Summa T750, and previously was running old school CoCut for years when it first came out, simply because I design in CorelDraw and nothing else. I love it. Like any other program, it has a learning curve, but nothing too radical. Supposedly it will also power a router, which I may investigate if and when I get one!
Very simple to use; CoCut places an icon in the Corel window that, when you are ready to plot, you simply click the icon, and the CoCut software kicks in. Go for it!

Rick

--------------------
Rick
Tam Arte Design Studio
Downingtown, PA
milne2@msn.com

Posts: 278 | From: Downingtown, PA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris....

I have been looking as well.

I have the same model..Mimaki CG-60st
And used Signlab in the past (Windows/98)

Working with XP Pro and no bridge between them...
I now work in Illustrator and FreeHand and want to convert to a more stable platform .....Let me know on you outcome of info on Co-Cut.
[Confused]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started with cocut pro 9 and corel 9,, I loved it. Never looked at buying anything else again.

When corel 12 came out. I got the cocut pro 12 upgrade. That combo is even better. Theres nothing I can't do with this combo. Plus it runs with illy, and free hand, and autocad too. So, I do not worry about who sends what to me.

It saves me time, never had to call tech support. IT runs every single time and does exactly what i need it to do.
IT protects me from simple mistakes. The learning curve was short and sweet. Teh power weed feature is great too.

Plus it does a load of other things that I do not use but others may find very interesting.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I purchased it new with my summa D60 when I started my biz in 2000. I had Corel 9 with Co-cut Pro 9. Worked like a charm. I have moved up to Corel 12 and version 12 as well.

I actually prefer version 9 but started having major problems when I upgraded to winbloz XP Pro. After calling the folks I have dealt with in the past, they said I needed to upgrade to Corel 12 and obviously CCP 12 (sales BS or truth???) I don't have the problems anymore but still don't use half of the capabilities of CCP.

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jed Pedersen
Visitor
Member # 2344

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jed Pedersen   Author's Homepage   Email Jed Pedersen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian,

I've used CoCut 9 Pro with my Suma D60 for the last 3 years and have loved it.

I am in the process of stashing the cash to upgrade to version 12 ASAP. [Big Grin]

With Win XP Service pack 2 you need to update CoCut 9 with a patch available from CoCut.com
You will need your Dongle/Serial # to get the down load list.

If you update to Corel Draw 12, you will need to update to CoCut 12 to get all of the features.

I have used 9 with mixed results by dragging what I want to cut into the CoCut screen from Corel Draw.

It is also quite unstable and seems to have a knack for locking up XP about 50% of the time.

One thing that you lose is the plug in for Corel Draw Also, CC9 will not work with Illustrator CS and above.

From everyone that I've talked to they said that the upgrade is well worth it and solves global warming and male pattern baldness [Eek!]

Hope this helps.

Jed

--------------------
Jed Pedersen
Graphic Air
157W 300N
Malad, Idaho 83252

Posts: 166 | From: S.E. Idaho | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spend some time in the Cocut forum at there website & you may find the answears you need. Or, maybe not. Just came from there as I'm experiencing difficulty with C7 & w2000P, not recognizing the dongle. Found some answers I need to try before trashing the whole setup. One thing I saw, was that C9 & CCP9 will not work with XP. At least, that's what I thought I read.
You can get to their website by clicking on the logo on the Merchants' page. Good Luck!

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Lovelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i have just up graded to corel 12.I am haveing some problems with my sign program Alphasign and am looking for an alternative because i use Ilustrator and Corel allot. the importing to AlphaSign..we not good import filters and some other issues.

P.S. any sorce for this program, that i can compare prices!

chris

[ November 05, 2005, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Chris Lovelady ]

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Posts: 707 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris, et al:

I don't get this thread.
Why not just cut directly from Corel?

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I'll bite too.. how do ya cut right from corel?

Jason D

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because Cocut Pro adds to the quality of life. Yes, many can cut direct from Corel. Some wear it as a badge of honor. But many others like myself prefer not too. Theres too many steps to remember, or too many chances for mistakes when not using the right tools for me. The law of bussiness says that you must remove ALL chances of failure and increase quality. That means in every area of production. Not just the product going out the door.
All you have to do is design your graphic, click the icon, and you are cutting. No need to worry about import, export, hair lines, fills, open lines, crossed paths, forgotten welds or overlaps. No need to think about paneling large graphics, speed settings, weed lines, pressure settings or polling the cuttter. The limitations of forgetting some setting are removed. All setting can be made right from the controal panel right there at the design station. It all pops right up there in front of you. set your needs and cut. Its all automatic.

With cocut pro I can cut from any machine to any cutter around. I can take my laptop to any location and cut some vinyl no matter what machine is in the place.

I do not worry about what machine I MUST buy if that time ever comes. It only cost me $5oo bux to get cocut pro 9 then upgrade to cocut pro 12. Over the past few years thats peanut change. Plus, some cutters run from serial or usb ports. Thus cutting direct is not a viable option.

If a client sends me an AI file then im cutting from Illy. OR sometimes a call comes about autocad. Again im cutting. Free hand and again i'm cutting. The five or six jobs over the past year from these other apps alone paid for Cocut pro.

Plus, if you have more time than money then, cutting direct from Corel is a great option. But, If you are short on time then using a great tool that will help you avoid mistakes makes your life better.

Then one more point. My kids can cut with cocut pro without me micromanaging their every move. If they can run it then any helper can do it. That gives me peace of mind to do other things that a $7 bux an hour helper should be doing.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks curtis..

just wonderin I think I'll stik with signlab anyway, I just like to know other options

Jason D

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jason...If you like SignLab stick with it for sure!!! [Smile]

I cut direct from CorelDraw because it is so easy. No dongles, no third party programs, no conflicts with operating systems, no upgrading needed, etc. etc.

I don't know if I would pass OP's SAT test but he was the one that steered me to cutting from CorelDraw..if it is so simple that even HE and I can do it, it must be pretty simple. (Please remember that Joe and I are friends [Smile] )

All I do is do the layout, hit "print" and the cutter does it's thing. How much easier is it than that?

Joe..jump in here and help me out buddy!!!! [Applause] [Applause]

PS..I am the first one to jump on the bandwagon and spend money on new stuff...but I refuse to spend money on stuff that is isn't required to get the job done in an efficient manner! [Smile] [Smile]

edited to say...for those that use and like Co Cut..keep on using it..just like those who prefer all of the other bridge utilities. And to the folks who prefer the dedicated sign making programs...keep on using them. It is a matter of what you prefer and are used to. Whatever will allow you to earn more dollars is what works best! [Wink]

[ November 05, 2005, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to use a bridge program til I learned to cut directly from Corel. Dave helped me a bunch. It's just too damn easy. Like Dave said, no need for a dongle or upgrades. The only drawback id there aren't any manuals. The search feature on here will turn up all kinds of tricks.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to cut directly from Corel but I don't know whether or not I can with an Anagraph plotter? I mean direct and not exporting from Corel as an .AI file then importing.

Anybody cutting from one? I have Corel ver. 12 if that makes any difference...

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

Your posting some time ago on how to cut directly is much appreciated and is as easy as you say.

Someday somewhere if we ever meet in person, I'll probably fall all over myself thanking you and thanking you and thanking you and thanking you for your how-to on direct cutting.

Wow, thanks,
Frank

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can find CoCut at the SummaStore. Click on Summa on the Merchants' Page. That's about the best you're gonna find.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

thanks Curtis for your insite. im also interested in the cut direct from Corel....never heard of that!?!? whuold any one like to share the link. i work with illustator as well as Corel so the Co-Cut seem atractive.

Now I'm all Confused!!!

chris

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Chris-
http://www.letterhead.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/10/14.html#000000
Good luck,
Frank

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris...Either Corel or Illustrator..cutting direct is a viable option. IF you have a cutter who's manufacturer can supply a Windows printer driver.

It DOES take a bit of time to figure it out (maybe one or two hours of "fiddling" at first) but after that, everything is good.

feel free to e-mail me if you need more info..heck...if you have a Roland cutter just include yer phone number and I'll call you and guide ya thru it! LOL

Frank..I GOTTA update that thread to 2005 status! [Bash]

[ November 07, 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Root
Resident

Member # 758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Root   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Root   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never tried co cut but I have been very happy with Sign Tools 3 that I got from the merchant page. Lots of extras such as shadows and outlines and stuff I haven't got to yet. Cheaper too.

--------------------
Rob Root
Root Cellar Signs
Waubaushene,
rob@rootcellarsigns.ca

point and click until it works

Posts: 55 | From: Waubaushene, Ont. Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Co-Cut and before that Winplot until I found out through Dave that I could cut directly from Corel. Thanks Dave. No dongles means I can cut from other machines we have networked together.

I did purchase a $50 program suggested by Mike O'Neal for rounding corners called Curveworks. It works great.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Dave your direction seem very clear but if i read it right you need a roland plotter to do this? i have a Mimaki CG-60. iguess this wount work for me.also i think there is a limation on lencght cutting when you cut from corel is that correct as well?

chris

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris, I have a Graphtec plotter and cut directly from Corel 12 with unlimited length.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Chris...You are only limited by the length limitation of your cutter.

If you go to the Mimaki website's download page HERE and scroll down to the CG-60 you will see a bunch of cutter drivers for various versions of Windows. There are alos downloadable manuals that I assume, will explain how to set things up.

Since I don't have any experience with Mimaki's I can't offer anything more for you.

PS..I notice they also have a program called "Fine Cut" for both CorelDraw and Illustrator.

[ November 09, 2005, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Chris,

What you'll need, is a plotter with the ability to communicate with a parallel port connection. Your Mamika drivers' disc should include Printer drivers. But your plotter must also be able to make use of such. My plotter, which runs off of
a serial port, does not (I've tried) make that connection.

Now, I'm not sure, but most new printers run off of a usb connection. If your plotter has a usb connector, then using the printer drivers may work directly with Corel; & others. Just fishing here as I have no knowledge if that'll work.

And yes, what Curtis said, CoCut is a fine program. They also make a stand-alone called CoSign.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Dave,

this looks good, i'm going to check the download on the Mamaki site.

chris

--------------------

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris...if the downloads and manuals work out..PLEASE let everyone know..I am sure that many folks would be interested in your findings.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!