Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » September Sign of the Month---VOTE NOW!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: September Sign of the Month---VOTE NOW!
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Click on the thumbnails for full size photo.
*One vote per category.
*One vote for Overall Sign of the Month.
*Voting closes Oct.14th.
*Votes accepted to jonsigns@icr.com.au

September entries!

If the artists who entered A4 and D5 can send larger photos to me, I'll be happy to use them. Those two photos were tiny. 600 pixels wide would be great.

[ October 02, 2005, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting these Don. You must have stayed up all night! [Smile]

The format makes things so much easier to select from. And it saves me heaps of time to post individual pics.

Well, another great month of entries. Thanks to all who contributed. If your pic is not here, don't dispair ... try again. The competition was tough in some categories. Especially the 3d. Very hard to choose just six there.

The new category E (design,layout,business cards) also proved popular. Excellent stuff.

Please vote for an OVERALL WINNER. I know it's hard because of the talent in each category, but try. We need more votes overall.

I will post the results on the 15/16th October.

In the meantime ... start sending in entries for October! "We's onna roll" !!!!!!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

[Group Hug]

[ October 02, 2005, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Jon Butterworth ]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks J/D/on !

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got a few postage stamp photos this month.

I'd like to request that for future contests, please supply images at 600 pixels and 72dpi resolution. (600 pixels wide for horizontal format/600 pixels tall for vertical.)

If anyone in this month's contest sent a smaller image and/or can supply a better photo within the above constraints, email it to me at doncoplen@earthlink.net, and I will swap it out ...this time.

Jon and I want this contest to be as fair as possible, and part of that is supplying us with a good pic to post so that everyone is competing on a level playing field.

[ October 02, 2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, you may want to move the voting deadline from September to October to give them more time to vote. [Wink]

--------------------

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of tough choices this month... and lots of great work!

My votes go as follows...

A6
B1
C4
D4
E3

Overall I would go with B1

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a hard time deciding, but here is what I ended up with:

A6
B1
C1
D4
E6

A6 overall

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A-6
B-1
C-4
D-3
E-2

Overall:B-1

Good job everybody!!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A3
B5
C3
D3
E4

OVERALL A3

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a-6
b-2
c-1
d-4
e-5
overall a-6

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A6
B1
C6
D5
E6

overall: E6

I'm the one who sent "postage stamps" the first time & learned a few things in the process. In case it helps anyone else, here is what I learned.

Jon asked for submissions to be no larger then 60K ...so I was resizing my pics in photoshop using the image size control. The top of that box shows "pixel dimensions" in terms of a value like 60K

Anyway, the file size I ended up with when my "pixel dimension" was 60K... turned out to be only 30K... but I never noticed that, so I sent pics 166 pixels wide [Eek!]

I also noticed that my revised 600 pixel pics are about 90K... so I remembered Don explaining to someone on a recent thread how to "save for web" & I just checked. Without any tweaking at all, it brought that 90K down to 78K which used the jpg at Medium quality which is a setting of 60 on the quality slider. Low quality drops to 10 on the slider and produces a file size of 30K... but noticable loss of quality. When I adjusted the quality slider to 46, I could achieve exactly 60K in file size & no real loss of image quality that I could detect compared to the 90K file.

Thanks to both Jon & Don for all their work on this. I know how the time spent on processing 60 entry pics could multiply fast if we don't do things right... so I got it down now & hope my lesson will help others streamline the process for next month & thereafter.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A4
B5
C3
D5
E1
Overal A6

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man. . . could this be ANY harder??

~I loved 3 -very elegant, but A-6 is my overall pic. Too cute and creative!

~Every one of them have special redeeming qualities, but I chose B-5 because it's a great shape and beautiful use of simple but difficult copy info . . . 'R' farm?

~C-3 Love how that ol' timey look meets a contemporary look. . .

~My pick is D-5 (but I wanna OWN D-4! [Smile]

~I like E-5 for it's simplicity, but E-1 knocks my socks off . . .I mean, if I was wearin' any . . .it would . . .

[Big Grin]

Thanx Don & Jon.

Another great SOTM. [Smile]

[ October 03, 2005, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Fielder
Visitor
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Fielder   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Fielder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A-6
B-5
C-3
D-3
E-6

My favorite is D-3 because I have been trying to do a job like that for a long time... the blueprint to the finished house design. A little different, but the same concept. A-6 is great too.

Good job all!

--------------------
Doug Fielder
Fallout Grafix
Port St. Lucie, FL

16 years with a brush in my hand...

Posts: 273 | From: Port St. Lucie, FL | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear this gets harder every month!

A-1
B-5
C-6
D-1 (Simple yet clever, I like how they "tweeked" the typestyle
E-6

Haven't decided overall yet.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A-4
B-2
C-3
D-4
E-2

D-4 Overall! Love that old fashioned look!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A1
B2
C4
D4
E4

Overall A1

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Peach
Resident

Member # 2620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Peach   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A-1
B-4
C-6
D-4
E-4

A-6 overall

--------------------
Bob & Marcia Peach
Peach Signs Inc
Sandwich, MA
rpeach9828@aol.com

Posts: 1020 | From: Sandwich, MA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Stokes
Visitor
Member # 5351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Stokes   Email Mark Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a4
b4
c3
d5
e3

a4 overall

--------------------
Mark Stokes
Mark Stokes Signs
Mount Barker South Australia

Posts: 388 | From: Mount Barker | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a4, b4, c4, d4, e2/e5 jointly.

Overall, undecided yet!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HIGH Boy........

Jax Choice

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Bump

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey dudettah, don't fret . . . some people e-mail their votes in, so the vote-replies here are not the only voters. [Wink]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A1
B2
C1
D5
E4

Some awesome work all around.

Peace out,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beautiful job people! [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just having another look, and I could swear B2 is a sandblasted, smalted sign. Shouldn't it be in the dimensional category??

Just wondering....

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Suelynn

I think it is a banner from the looks of it.

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A2. But I think the bug is too big for my likings & I'd eliminate the ' from the tagline.

B1. Fits the shape well, classy

C1. Colorful, gives the 'kid' feeling

D3 Nice prioritization of copy & use of photo. I have no idea what the first word in the list of windows, roofing is & I have no idea what the script says. Need a bit more contrast or something there.

E6 Classy and I'm a sucker for the stuff that isn't forced into a square or rectangle. The white line through the center of the text bugs me on the squint test though.

Forgot overall: Once again, I hereby invoke my right to refuse to pick an overall. [Wink] I had a hard enough time picking 1 out of each category.

[ October 05, 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Kissymatina ]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A4
B2
C1
D1
E1 (i could vote for any / all of these!)

B2 overall

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Williams
Resident

Member # 4372

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Ray Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Don
I voted via e-mail, and I only voted for 2
Sorry first time I put my 2 cents in , and i did it wrong.
So if you will delete the e-mail I sent you and use this as my first official vote in sign of the month. I would be grateful as will the other 4 i just voted for.
Picks as follows
A-6
B-2
C-4
D-3
E-6
OVER ALL B-2 Just has Class written all over it.

Thanks Ray

--------------------
Ray Williams
Key Advertising /Signs by Ray
301 Elberon Court
Chesapeake Va.
keyadvertising1@cox.net

Posts: 26 | From: Chesapeake Va. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A6
B1
C6
D4
E6
OVERALL A6

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you enter older designs?

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Chavez:

Yes, Rick. I think Jon's words were something to the effect of "they shouldn't have moss growing on them".
[Wink]

--------------------

Sal Cabrera
Visitor
Member # 1236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sal Cabrera   Author's Homepage   Email Sal Cabrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A2
B1
C1
D4
E1

--------------------
Sal Cabrera
Signs By Sal
New Freedom , PA

The goal of Yesterday will be the Stating Point of Tomorrow!

Posts: 686 | From: New Freedom , PA US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Coplen:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Chavez:

Yes, Rick. I think Jon's words were something to the effect of "they shouldn't have moss growing on them".
[Wink]

I'm gonna use that line in a sentence this weekend....

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A6...excellent cartoon.
B1
C6
D4
E1

Best Overall...C6

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A4
B1
C1
D4
E1
Overall B1

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
1signdesigns@backroads.net
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew Gourvelos
Visitor
Member # 1425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew Gourvelos   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Gourvelos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite is E6. BTW everyone who submited photos of their work should be very proud. The standard is very high.

--------------------
Andrew Gourvelos
A Signs
Sydney, NSW,
Australia

Posts: 104 | From: Sydnet, NSW Australia | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A4
B1
C4
D2
E5

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!