Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Do I want Vinylmaster Pro???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do I want Vinylmaster Pro???
Kelly Chatham
Visitor
Member # 5664

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kelly Chatham   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Chatham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to upgrade my computer and software because my computer is slowly dying, and if I upgrade the computer I'll have to upgrade the software. (My gerber software won't work with anything newer than'98.)
The vinylmaster pro (demo) LOOKS GOOD and is priced right so what am I missing???
If anybody has Vinylmaster please reply!

--------------------
Kelly Chatham
Kelly's Signs Inc.
5723 Morse Av.
Jax., FL, 32244

Posts: 68 | From: Jacksonville, Fl. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly...I don't use VMP but anyone who does, seems happy with it.

What cutter are you using? Graphtec, Ioline or Roland?

Do you already have or could you be comfortable using CorelDraw or Illustrator and cutting from them? Or do you prefer the "sign Specific" features that Gerber or SignLab or VMP or any of the others offer?

[ September 28, 2005, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8883 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use it exclusively for cutting
I like it
It works as good or better
than any of the "big dogs"
its made to cut letters
and is not cluttered like
some of the do-all softwares

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a vote for Signlab. It's pricey but solid.

Don't ask me about tech support though... [Frown]

Have you looked into corel + Cocut??

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Price VMP is good..
ButI use Signlab 99% of the time, and think its better..

Jason D

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Chatham
Visitor
Member # 5664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Chatham   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Chatham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all, I have a decision to make and I have to make it quick, because my computer is DYING - I use a Graphtec plotter, and have only ever used "gerber select" I am a signPAINTER as well as an artist, so I did'nt need all the bells and whistles. Also my market is SMALL and SMALL Minded. Can't see ever needing a digital printer unless they were giving them away! I just want something reasonably priced that I can easily learn. so as not to skip-a-beat if you will. I'm barely hanging on now with the overhead Im paying. Thinking of going mobile...
or maybe UNDERGROUND!

--------------------
Kelly Chatham
Kelly's Signs Inc.
5723 Morse Av.
Jax., FL, 32244

Posts: 68 | From: Jacksonville, Fl. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use vinylmaster pro every single day and its a great program. You wont be disappointed if you buy it!

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I don't use it because I'm using the ROland software, I vouch for Corel & cocut. (That's what I used to use with my old graphtech.)

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I got a copy of Signlab I've never used. I would consider selling it. What's it worth?

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce & Deb Newton   Email Bruce & Deb Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly,

What about buying your new computer, but putting the old win98 OS on the hard drive. No need to buy any new software then and you will avoid the learning curve as well.

Better yet as OP has stated on numerous occasions,
buy a computer with removable hard drives. Then use two hd, and change them out every other day.

I'm in the same boat, with regards to gerber, and just like you I can't justify upgrading. Gotta love Corel and CoCut.

Bruce

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Posts: 126 | From: San Marcos, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Leyden
Visitor
Member # 2437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Leyden   Email Jack Leyden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kelly -

I started using VMP about three years ago when my computer with Win 95 and Flexisign crashed. No regrets. Price was about $500; much cheaper than upgrading Flexisign to work on Win XP. Plus - no dongle hardware protruding from my laptop.

I recommend it for what I use it for: basic sign design and vinyl cutting.

--------------------
Jack Leyden
Jack's Signage
1330 "H" East St. Andrew Place
Santa Ana,CA 92705

Posts: 22 | From: Santa Ana,CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i played with vinyl master pro and it seems pretty good. It had a few missing links such as a way to poll the cutter to find out what size material u have.

I really like cocut pro and corel. Its perfect for cutting. and very easy to use.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Very easy to use is right. Just click on the skull (in my case), enter, enter & voilá! (or something like that (its been a while!)

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!