Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Ok... another stupid computer question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ok... another stupid computer question...
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how to explain this right, so here goes...

I've got everything re-installed, Windows 98 SE.

Now I've got this weird "strobe-light" effect on moving things in ad banners, links, even when I type here the words flash occasionally.

It's giving me a headache.

Not constantly, unless the item is moving, like in a banner.

How in the heck do I fix that? I have the latest Java and Macromedia, if that helps.

Thanks... again...!!!

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Utter
Visitor
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Utter   Email Dave Utter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could it be the refresh rate on your monitor Dana? right click the desktop, select properties, then settings, then advanced, and then adapter, and see if you can change the refresh rate to a higher hertz. I don't know if this is whats soing on, but if mine is too low it drives me nuts. I also hope this is the way to do it in 98 SE. been in XP too long now. later.................

--------------------
Dave Utter
D-utterguy on chat
Sign Designs
Beardstown, Il.
signdesigns@casscomm.com

Posts: 777 | From: beardstown, illinois, usa | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine says 'optimal'... whats higher than that?

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Utter
Visitor
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Utter   Email Dave Utter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should have a drop down menu, that will give you choices such as 60hz, 75hz, etc. mine is currently set at 100hz although a lot of systems won't support that high. And again, this may not be the problem at all, but its an easy place to start. You may also have a video card getting ready to lay down. Is the "strobe" effect really fast, like barely noticeable, but enough to drive a grown person crazy? A slow refresh rate kinda reminds me of an old time movie, like its just not "smooth".

--------------------
Dave Utter
D-utterguy on chat
Sign Designs
Beardstown, Il.
signdesigns@casscomm.com

Posts: 777 | From: beardstown, illinois, usa | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be a driver problem.
Since you have just reinstalled Win98SE, the original drivers have been reinstalled as well and overwritten anything that had been updated since 6 years ago. A visit to the Windows Update site might be needed.

Hope this helps...
Rapid

[ September 28, 2005, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh. I tried the refresh rate, didn't help.

I've already been to Windows Update, loaded the critical ones, and skimmed through the list of non-critical updates. Loaded a couple, but most had to do with language or programs I don't have.

It's a fast strobe, really annoying. I just shut my eyes whenever I load a page. Even when I type here, every time I hit ENTER or it scrolls to the next line, it flashes at me.

Thanks for trying... any more suggestions?

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana,

You may want to check to see if the manufacturer of your video card has any firmware updates for your video card? I think Ray may be on the right track here.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul McDowell
Visitor
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul McDowell   Author's Homepage   Email Paul McDowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a corporate computer (Dell, Emachine etc) search their website for video card drivers. If not open the case and try to find the motherboard / video card brand and model number. If you can find them search for the drivers on google.

--------------------
Paul McDowell
7 Hills Signs
Virginia

Posts: 84 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana...Along the same line of thinking as Ray and Glenn and Paul.

If you have a "Mainline" computer, like a Dell, you should have a CD that they provided that contains all the necessary drivers. If it was a computer that was "built" for you the builder should have given you some CDs or floppies that have the drivers for the various devices.

When Bruce re-installed Windows, if it was a "built" machine, Windows would have installed its own generic Microsoft drivers for the monitor and the video card.

You can check this out by going to start>settings>control panel>system>device manager.

Look under "monitor" and under "display adapters", right click on the driver and hit properties. If it says something like "generic" you can update to the correct driver. Just follow the instructions for updating the driver. If you have floppies or CDs with drivers on them you can stick one into the drive and then "update the driver " by directing Windows to look on those particular disks. Since you didn't have the flickering problem before the computer died, I would think the drivers on the floppies would be just fine.

Hope this makes sense. It is the first thing I do after a format.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8883 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Nope... leftover computer from Bruce's brother.

I know I had to do something quite a long time ago, where I had to look for id# online for a driver. The stuff I found where you said, Dave, sure doesn't look generic.

I guess this means opening up the computer, huh?

How do I know what card I am looking for?

What a pain... lol!!

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!