Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Back when Paint was PAINT !!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Back when Paint was PAINT !!
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember back when you twisted up your paint with a bit of white lead in it? This guy seems to be OK?

I like the line in the ad...."If you could cover a house with lead, it would just about last forever!"

-

Yeah, just don't eat the chunks that fall off!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should send this to the EPA, and tell them that there never has been a case of someone eating a sign. I am old enough to remember how very good it was to work with white lead, and how nice it was not to worry about how the sign would last. There was nothing better to coat out the background in window lettering and stipple it. Smalt signs worked real well with white lead and oil color.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to eat a sign once, but it wouldn't roll up in my tortilla.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody on here actually think out govt *cares* about some ghetto child eating paint chips? Why would they get their panties in a wad over a couple of kids that did that? The real reason they didn't want you having white lead is that they can not see thru it with imaging equipment. That's not my 2 centavos worth; that came from a bud of mine that worked for the See eye aye. If they really wanted to elimate a lot of uselsss deaths they'd have outlawed tobacco.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick,
Was that before or after the Mafia Killed Kennedy and the Moon landings in Arizona.

[Smile]

Buy the way can White lead be purchased anywhere in the world any longer. Just curious. As I know my LaFranc still has lead as the Skull and crossbones are larger then the name.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Ricky, what you said sounds perfectly reasonable to me. It seems like an issue of mixed up priorities, huh?

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 3 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at a flea market a couple of years ago, found (but didn't buy) a roll of sheet lead. It was no more than 1/8" thick, probably 2 feet wide, and who knows how long.

With this new found info, shucks, now I know what I should've done. Should've bought it, cut out siloettes (sp?) of people in dangerous poses, and hid them in the wall paneling.

Captain! He's got a gun! Pointed out the window!...

OK maybe not such a good idea. But I did hear about a guy in CA. that glued a soft drink container onto the roof of his car, just above the driver's seat. He used to get a big kick out of people trying to gesture a message, while he played dumb. Right up 'till he got a ticket from the CHP. I don't know what the charges would be, but no doubt hazardous something or another.

Oh hey, It's as good a time as any to say I think I saw my first black helicopter a couple days ago. Seriously. I always held the conspiracy theory stuff at arm's length, but this was the real deal. Maybe. It came over just above treetop level, much lower than most, but it was a very glossy paint job. Not what I imagined in this sort of situation. In fact, it looked like a real NICE paint job. Come to think of it, some of the helicopters in the tourist area are painted black on the bottom, maybe. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda makes you feel good about being a signpainter. I love those old ads.
(pre-lead-free)
I remember having to wear latex gloves when I painted signs whilst pregnant.
They even did lead levels on me as I had been painting clueless and gloveless for many years...levels were normal.
My kids turned out just fine!
Love....Jill

[ September 14, 2005, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Jill Marie Welsh ]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that ad!! Dale, could you have it made up into black & white poster prints?? I'd love to have one in the office!!!

(BTW . . .there's a sign-song in your topic title . . .sing to the tune of Tim Mcgraws 'Back when' [Wink]

Conspiracy theory alarmists [Bash] . . .don't you know? They took the lead out of the paint simply because it worked so well and lasted so long the paint industry 'fixed' the game so they'd win? [Razz]

Oh wait . . .THAT'S a conspiracy too!!! [Eek!]

They're All in cahoots ain't they?????? I mean...the paint companies got the guv to SAY it was unhealthy and . . .

And [For Your Information] I bet living/working in leaded asbestos buidlings, along with the consumption of red and yellow dyed foods, CAN protect you from global warming AND nuclear holocaust too!!!

But . . . now we'll never know, will we!!!! [Eek!]

[Razz]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being one of the "conspiracy theorists", I'd have to say that the only priority is not letting people have stuff whereby they can keep the govt. prying eyes from seeing into their living room (and bathroom and bedroom) using thermal imaging technology.

William, I know who shot JFK; I have a copy of the Zapruder tape that has been digitally enhanced by Navy Intel (shhhhhhhhhh!). It clearly shows the driver of the limo pulling a pistol out of his coat, shooting the Prez and placing the gun in the floorboard. *That* is why Jackie was trying to get out of the car; she saw who did it!

BTW, I have two quarts of white lead too but the lables are pretty ratty. It does have the big skull and crossbones on it. I've used little dollops in my Hol-Fast oil for doing smalts; makes it flow like warm honey.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last 'old' signpainter I knew who used a lot of lead paints died of old age at 92 years in 1994. He told me they would drink a pint of milk a day, provided by the boss, as a precaution against lead poisoning.

I still use some lead based paint- mainly reds & yellows (enamel) & get a blood check annually & my lead level is actually on the lowest end of the 'standard normal adult range' so I don't know where the rest of the population gets their lead from, but it's nice to know that those spills & bits you inhale & wipe around your fingernails are pretty insignificant.

Good advert!

(James, I have a roll of lead here- we last used it for waterproofing around the stove recess of the kitchen. I also mucked around a bit once doing some casting with it. Not wonderfully successful, due to my amateurishness, but fun to try.)

Sheila, leaded fuel here is a no-no beacuse of the impact on your health. They seem to think that carcinogenic unleaded fuel is healthier for you, or else it's a move deliberately designed to reduce the world's population...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Contreras
Visitor
Member # 1571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Contreras   Email Mike Contreras       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lead,,,,

I wish that a company that I used their product and used to love. would have left it alone .. Now I would be happy with one year of that crap to hold up on trucks..

Lead rocks in Paint.. You don't like it.. become a vinyl geek.. At least that stuff will hold up better and most can't letter or stripe anyways... [Bash]
I have been having better luck stripin' with Rustoleum... Now there is someone who needs to get into lettering enamel.. Holds up.. Lead content who knows, I surely don't care.. If I have to wear gloves to stripe (NOT!!!) you could...

I have a big thermometer I dug up in the old dump behind my shop ( yeh that Rox all right) that reads 99 percent lead... Sign me up.. I may glow in the dark, but that's the price I pay for using the stuff.. I probably have a better chance of dying flyin my kites by the powerlines, than lead poisoning.

Well Back to plottin. that will hold..

Posts: 84 | From: Gladstone , Michigan | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like paint...paint with lead is cool.......

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland Pinan
Visitor
Member # 2724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roland Pinan   Author's Homepage   Email Roland Pinan       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In talking to the one shot rep at a letterhead meet I was told that it was a lawsuit from a woman somewhere out west that bought some one-shot at a art supply store and spilled some on herself, then read the label and suied. To my understanding she lost the suit and we lost our lead.

--------------------
Cobra Pinstriping & Signs
907 E Skagway Ave
Tampa, FL 33604-1747
(813) 933-9096

Posts: 46 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!