Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » HDU Advice needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HDU Advice needed
Mike Stowe
Visitor
Member # 324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Stowe   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Stowe       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello...
I have a customer that would like a large 2 sided sign made - prob 4' x 8' or 4'x 10".

He only needs the painted/lettered sign - his building contractors are taking care of the posts & install.

He came into the shop asking for ½" alumalite for the material & has since asked about something thicker - I figured HDU would prob be the best solution, but I have never used it before.

Does HDU come in sizes that big? He wants the sign to be quite thick as well.

Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Mike

[ September 01, 2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Mike Stowe ]

--------------------
Mike Stowe
Signs Unlimited
Mishawaka, IN
info@pwcgraphics.com

Posts: 208 | From: Mishawaka, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HDU is going to prove to be a costly option here. Unless you are going to carve, rout, or sandblast the sign, it does not warrant the money.

I would build an aluminum frame and skin it with .040" pre-finished aluminum. You can make the sign body any depth you need without breaking the customer's budget.

You could also do MDO as an option and build a wooden frame instead. It would be easier if you are not comfortable doing metal work. The downside is the weight.

A third option would be to use an old double face electric sign cabinet and slide in metal panels in lieu of plastic.

If you need some help, please feel free to call.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since alumalite was already an option I would build a PT frame and skin it with alumalite and cap the sides with .040.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1126 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Stowe
Visitor
Member # 324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Stowe   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Stowe       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help, Guys!
I think I will go that route with the alumalite
& 040 caps.

I really appreciate it.
Mike

--------------------
Mike Stowe
Signs Unlimited
Mishawaka, IN
info@pwcgraphics.com

Posts: 208 | From: Mishawaka, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Stowe
Visitor
Member # 324

Thanks again for the advice, guys, but I have another question...

Since I am going with the wood frame / alumalite option - is there any tips or tricks to finishing the edge & possibly hiding the screws that are used to attach the alumalite panels?

I'm sure I can get this sign to look good, but just wondered if there are any trusted ways of constructing this to look it's best.

Are there any ready made products that can be used to cap the edges or should I just try to find someone who can bend the .040 alum for me?

Any advice would be appreciated as this is a new project for me. We usually do the alumalite panel slid into a routed groove in the post/frame type of sign.

Thanks for the help!
Mike

--------------------
Mike Stowe
Signs Unlimited
Mishawaka, IN
info@pwcgraphics.com

Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
How about adhesive?
You can cover the alumalite mounting screws with the .040. You can have your local heating & air-conditioning contractor do the cutting & bending for you.

The .040 could hang 3/4"to 1" on to the sign faces. (It would look like a thin lighted sign cabinet.)

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not use wood for a frame
I did a job last winter with wood..
as the days warmed....the wood shrunk so bad
we had to redo the job
the aluminum puckered
2 sided....4'x16'
the 16 foot measurment shrunk over 3/4 "
I would recommend an aluminum frame...with
aluminum edge trim

If you insist on a wood frame with aluminum skin
..use fasteners that are not tightened..and use
oversize holes in the faces...allowing them to float
dont use any adhesive....

[ September 25, 2005, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Michael Boone ]

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
use DIBOND and MDO. Put the posts and frame up as usual then screw the MDO to the Stringers or whatever, then GLUE the DIBOND (2mm) to the surface. No screws.

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also To add to What Mike said about wood.. I just got a new roll of coil stock and it says not for use with New Prerssure Treated Wood.. Must be something new in this new ACQ PT Lumber that reacts with Aluminum Stock..

Jason D

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Stowe
Visitor
Member # 324

Thanks, Everyone...
I'm not sure that the treated wood will be an issue since I am using Rigid alumalite panels instead of thinner stock to skin the frame.

The .040 will only be used as a decorative cap & can prob be secured with glue like Michael B. mentioned.

I will still do a bit more research, tho.

Thanks again!
Mike

--------------------
Mike Stowe
Signs Unlimited
Mishawaka, IN
info@pwcgraphics.com

Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The alumalite is baked enamel... You don't have to worry about the reaction., however I have heard that the new treated wood (without arsenic I believe... ACQ PT = Arsenic clear Quality, Pressure treated? possibly?) does in fact react with galvanized screws. The hardware store will inform you of the correct screw to use. [Smile]

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Stowe
Visitor
Member # 324

Sorry for asking so many questions on this subject, but does anyone know of something I can use for the "edge cap" instead of the .040 aluminum.

I can't seem to find anyone that can bend the alum in a piece that long.

It really does not matter what it is made of as long as it hides the wood/alumalite edge.

THanks again to everyone for all the help!
Mike

[ October 04, 2005, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Mike Stowe ]

--------------------
Mike Stowe
Signs Unlimited
Mishawaka, IN
info@pwcgraphics.com

Robert Root
Resident

Member # 758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Root   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Root   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike

Home Depot carries edge caps in 1/4 1/2 and 3/4. White flexible plastic sold in 8' strips. There is a bit of wiggle room for slightly smaller stock. Good luck

--------------------
Rob Root
Root Cellar Signs
Waubaushene,
rob@rootcellarsigns.ca

point and click until it works

Posts: 55 | From: Waubaushene, Ont. Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can rent an alum brake from any contractor rental store pretty cheap. I have one that will bend alum in 10 ft lengths

Jason D

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Also for new ACQ Pressure Treated Lumber you will want to use Ceramic Coated Screws. Also There is a company that makes Double Zinc Coated Nails that are ok in ACQ i think they are called Maze Nails

Jason D

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!