Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » AVery problems? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: AVery problems?
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any body having some problems with Avery?

There some talk around that Avery is still having a problem with the latest batches.

http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32032#post32032

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5278 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis,
I thought I had dodged the bullet, I had no problems in the first go-round, but...

I just had a truck lettering job return that I had done in Feb/March.
The Black is peeling & shrinking but the Apple Green and Apricot are fine. All High Perfomance Vinyl, all Avery.
OF COURSE it's a layered job, so I have to remove and replace bothe layers. Before you go thinking "it's the layers, and the black is absorbing more heat...", the Black is failing as the first layer AND the second layer. Equal opportunity shrinkage.

My own truck is doing the same. Yep, lettered it around the same time.

Now I have a call in to my supplier because a roll of Red is shrinking on the roll! I can identify THIS roll from THIS supplier, but I have a couple of suppliers, so I'll probably eat the bad rolls from before.

Now I'm paranoid that many jobs that I've done will be coming back to bite me.
Luckily, I guess, I wasn't that busy back then.
The problem is that I've been VERY busy since then.

Tick, tick, tick... !!!???

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we say,, Avoid the exposure?.
I would avoid all possible chance of catching AID's Herpes, or Vinyl failure by staying way from exposure.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5278 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Avery vinyl in question was made during a small time frame as a distributor told me...and that was quite a while ago now.

I fee completely safe in buying Avery and like their vinyls, although I was leary like everyone else around the time the rash of problems cropped up.

Mainly, now if you buy Avery, simply look at the edge of the roll...if it hasn't visibly receeded, it's most likely new stock and no need to worry. That's what I was told.

Avery has no desire to continue putting bad vinyl into the system....if you get some crappy vinyl now, it's more likely to be old stock from the "Bad period" that the distributor has had sitting around.

That's my take. I love the way it weeds (like butter) and it releases nicely from the liner, unlike 3M - whose vinyl is great but takes more effort to weed in my opinion.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gene i had the same problem with avery A8 BLACK & layered. this is the way it looked when finished.  - and that was nov 2003. the engine craped out and the guy traded it..so i dont have to RE-DO it...this is what it looked like in june 2005.  -
i knew where i bought the vinyl and sent them pics..i got a $47.00 credit wow.....thatdidnt cover the GREEN i would had to replace also....NO MORE AVERY A8!! 3M, ORACAL 751, and if you have never tried it AMERIBANS PERMACAST,limited in colors but an outstanding vinyl.

[ August 15, 2005, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you guys do this to yourselves??? Why not just throw it in the trash where it belongs and write them off? Say it slowly with me "A v e r y v i n y l S U C K S."

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

quote:
The Avery vinyl in question was made during a small time frame as a distributor told me...and that was quite a while ago now
How do you know that? What makes you sure that someone who is having a NEW problem with NEW material got some OLD vinyl? How do you know that a second and a third seperate company having a NEW problem with NEW material is using OLD material that was supposedly recalled and picked up.. As we were all TOLD that would hapen...

Ricky, I think that some are using the problem material again because they do not have local access to other brands.

--------------------

Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis,
I, like others, believed that Avery had the problem licked.
I missed the first round of bad vinyl, probably because I wasn't too busy at the time.
By the time I GOT busy, all the bad vinyl should have been out of the market.
I never used ANY older "questionable" stock for permanent signs, just coro, banners, etc.

THIS round of vinyls has me concerned.

Okay then, what is the best vinyl now available?

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gene, since you asked...in my opinion the best around is 3M High Performance. It's just about the only thing I've used for 15 years and I've yet to have a problem.

At some points I have used other brands in order to match a color, but they have never come close to 3M for durability.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have avoided Avery except for a very few colors I couldn't get otherwheres.
I use mostly Gerber(which I believe is rebranded 3M) and Arlon.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1127 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I have to be really sensitive here because I know there was some really legitimate problems that caused conflict with customers. I don't disagree that this occurred nor badly handled by Avery.

Avery vinyl is NOT "junk".....

I've heard a lot of people talk about the old SparCal vinyl and how good it was.....well, Sparcal was 90+% Avery vinyl...always was.

Avery Vinyl is used every single day in quantities you cannot even imagine in OEM RV, marine, and automotive markets and aftermarkets.

The chances that the vinyl used in automotive aftermarket graphic kits you may have purchased from Universal or Sharpline are in the high 90+ percentile as well.

They had a "blip" that sadly put many sign folks in a bad position and I don't for a minute say that if it were I who was affected, I wouldn't be gun-shy. Heck, I wasn't affected and I changed to 3M for a while just to make sure I didn't have a problem.

But I'm using Avery with cautious confidence now...cautious meaning that I buy from a guy who knows how to inspect Avery vinyl before he brings it out to me...and he has told me what to look for:

1.) On cast vinyl, visually inpect your vinyl rolls to make sure that the vinyl hasn't shrunk on the roll.
2.) Some apparent shrinkage (very minute) can appear to occur with any vinyl....due to the liner soaking up moisture and literally "growing."
3.) If you see a trace amount of what appears to be shrinkage....run your finger over the exposed liner - - if it feels tacky, as if the adhesive was left behind....then you probably got an old roll from old stock....otherwise...you're probably ok.

If this seems like too much trouble, which I can definately see that point of view, then 3M or some other manufacturer might be a better choice.

Like I say, I feel confident that the problem has been resolved...and will continue buying Avery - and 3M depending upon my needs.

You think you have doubts - think of how the astronauts that just went up in the space shuttle must have felt...

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GENE....."3M, ORACAL 751, and if you have never tried it AMERIBANS PERMACAST,limited in colors but an outstanding vinyl." call AMERIBAN 1-800-654-8405...get set up on the same thing i got which is $100 orders are FREE SHIPPING...they sell 3M, ORACAL, ARLON, and their own brand PERMACAST... also the got intermediate vinyls... AVERY, 3M, ORACAL, CALON, and 2 of their own brand BANNERCAL for really cheap shot lived signs(but the yellow is one of the best for windows)and SHINE RITE...good stuff...

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a couple problems with the last go-round of Avery, but nothing major. Boy, was I nervous to check out my firetrucks with the signgold on top, but I dodged the bullet there. Having been assured this problem was taken care of, I continued to use Avery as I love the gloss, feel and colors.

Just went through the vinyl I picked up with the edge last week, about half was Avery and over half of that is already in the garbage due to shrinkage. [Mad] I checked the tags as I pitched it and MOST was made after the previous problem was allegedly taken care of. Oh yeah, it wasn't just A8 either... A6 and A9 show serious shrinkage too. I had to quit sorting through it when I got to the 50 yarder of Sapphire Blue (my fav blue). It was too depressing.

In my shop, today will forever be known as

"Buh-Bye Avery Day"

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, what Raymond said. [Big Grin]

[Cool]

[ August 15, 2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3515 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I have said before, I had problems with gold reflective on 5 cops cars that I did. The black was ok but the gold started peeling off within two weeks.

Now I have a wrapped bus that has come back...Avery EZ. I did it in March 2004 and I heard back from the customer in 6 months. The vinyl was coming off and the ink was very faded. Unfortunately for me, I can't put in a claim to Avery (even though I still have some scrap)because I had another company order the vinyl and print the job. The company that I had print it was recommended by a supplier but I found them to do shoddy work and they never sent me every piece that I needed. So needless to say they won't put in a claim for me.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Avery ONLY for color matches, and when I looked at my Avery sample chart, what a relief! The A8 page is stuck to the page facing it! What a relief I use Permacast and 3M. The A9 sample look ok, though. Check out the true shadow...it's the worst, gummiest mess in my whole catalog. What a relief I don't use Avery.

Frank

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

quote:
1.) On cast vinyl, visually inpect your vinyl rolls to make sure that the vinyl hasn't shrunk on the roll.
I've got a roll here that looked just fine when i got it, cut an amount from it and thankfully only used on temproary jobs. At least no one called me back. Now some time later this roll has shrunk about 1/2 inch total on the sides of this roll.

Problem is I couldn't remember where i got it. So i never as able to return it.

--------------------

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any Avery problems....stopped buying it last year after the last fiasco.
I also obsereved shrinkage of A8 on a job for a very good client, who luckily has not noticed it....yet.
I wouldn't use Avery now even if I had a free lifetime supply. I really liked it, too. Note past tense. I'll stick with Calon II or Gerber, thank you very much, cuz at least they stick.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam Eddy
Resident

Member # 1858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam Eddy   Email Pam Eddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Jill, I really LIKED Avery, but do not trust it. Can't afford to.

I never had major shrinkage on the rolls, but you should see some of the projects coming back now. Major shrinkage once it was out in the heat of the sun.

You cannot tell me the distributor cannot tell from the lot number if it was an old roll "overlooked" during the recall (oops, there wasn't a recall I was told, just a courtesy replacement of old inventory) or a "after the problem" roll.

I am spending more money now on 3M and had to raise prices, but when a customer questions the price increase, I can tell them I use 3M and they recognize the name and associate it with quality.

I used Avery since Universal went out and what makes me angry is the way the problem was handled. We all can have product or service problems, it's how it's handled that matters. I was treated like I was trying to get something for nothing. I was told, "if it's not shrinking on the rolls, you don't have a problem." I have similar pictures as posted earlier to prove different.

Pam

--------------------
Pam Eddy
Niles, MI
ple@qtm.net

Posts: 467 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark zilliox
Resident

Member # 3873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark zilliox   Author's Homepage   Email mark zilliox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if Homer Simpson opened a vinyl sign shop, let's call it Signs by Simpson, and he was asked what vinyl has performed comensurate to cost........quote: "hhhhmmmmmm Permacast". with sprinkles !

--------------------
mark zilliox
mark z signs
8425 pushaw station rd.
owings md. 20736
301-855-5407 thezs@earthlink.net
http://www.markzsigns.com

Posts: 348 | From: maryland | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea Todd... we'll buy vinyl, subject each roll to careful scrutiny, then let each roll age for six months before using, just to make sure it hasn't shrunk a bit.

... NOT

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Ricky, everytime time you use it, for the next year, you worry! Why do you put yourself through this? I used Avery twice. The two times I used it, I had to do both Sheriff cars over. I will never touch this "junk" again! I don't have a worry now when I do a job. Just look at the posts that have been on here about Avery. I can't believe people still use it.

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

I get this feeling Avery isn't the preferred vinyl here...

Pam - Most of Universal's vinyl is Avery. If you like 3M, but are paying much more than when you purchased Avery, check out Ameriban @ 800-654-8405.

Their 3M high performance vinyl pricing is identical to Avery. They also have good service.

Mike - in one sentance, you're making me re-think the Avery thing....what you say makes perfect [common] sense and your point is noted.

Maybe it's that "buttery" stretchy, easy weeding feeling Avery has (that I liked so much) that is also the cause of it's shrinkage? Maybe it's too plyable and can't hold it's shape? Hmmmmm. I'll think about this.

Note to OP: a few years back, Ameriban had a bad batch of their Permacast vinyl in both black and white. I had a (multi-color/multi-layer) job that literally fell off the unit. Ameriban not only acknowledged the problem, but they paid me for my materials, time, and labor to redo the job - which was great customer service. I did go back to using Permacast without incident after that.....not sure who makes that "brand" of vinyl for them though.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In our shop we use Oracal 751/851 for all solid and metallic color jobs, signs or vehicles, that need to last more than 6 months. We letter on an average 300 trucks a year and we have never had a problem. The extra cost of premium vinyl is well worth being able to sleep at night.

For our reflective work we have always used Avery reflective. In the last 15 years we only had one problem, a batch of white reflective turned into what looked like clear vinyl with a little baby powder behind it. The Avery reps came and looked at the job and gave us two 50 yd. rolls of white reflective for our trouble and expense. I have since heard of another shop that had the same problem on some police cruisers.

I just got a contract for 10 police cars and am now worried about using the Avery reflective. Has anyone else had this problem recently?

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou, I do about 10 police cars a year and with 3M have had no problems.....ever! Avery Reflective, used it twice (supplier was out of 3M red)and had to do both of them over.........with 3M. Why worry!!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pam, I have rolls here that were made AFTER the bad batches and it has shrunk considerably. I agree the suppliers should check the lot numbers just to be careful, but that only works if they are given true information as to which lots are bad.

It's not a result of the 'buttery' feel either. I have rolls from 2003 that have no shrinkage.

Mike, I had the same thoughts as you did. I can just imagine the look on a customer's face when you need an odd color for their job & tell them it'll be 6 months. [Rolling On The Floor]

Back to sorting vinyl so I can go on a dumpster run.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only did I have to re-do 9 sheriff cars because of Avery vinyl, I lost the darn account because of it; that's about $3,000 every single year. You can tell your customers "We don't make the vinyl." til you're blue in the face but they don't hear it. I'm using 3M for the Goober Edge and Ameribans Permacast and Shine Rite for the rest of it.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, I just bought a roll of Avery IPM 2000 EZ for some digital printing. Has anyone had any problems with it? I haven't opened the box yet, so I would like to know of any of you used this certain one?

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cisco,
Laura Butler posted above that she had a digital print on EZ that faded and was falling off.

Check out Gregory. Good service, free freight, a killer ordering program they'll send you to order any materials and supplies from your computer with a first order $25 off. They carry 3M, Oracal, and the dreaded Avery and their own secret label called Trendfilm whose colors match 3M's colors amazingly well but has the paper liner. I've been using it for over 10 years without a single failure. Nice price too. vinyldirect.com and they ship out of Kansas and North Carolina.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Argyle TX 76226

sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5438 | From: Argyle, TX | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serious question, I never asked anyone during the past two years about the Avery failures;
Did anyone apply any of the defective Avery films with Rapid Tac or TacII and still have same failures ?

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish i had Roger, but i didn't...

During the last go round I posted some negative feedback on Avery (my shop truck and another job I did is shrinking badly). Beacon Graphics was great and replaced all my shrinking avery with new (non-shrinking?) avery.

Well I guess the avery rep was reading the last round of posts and called me to apologize and tell me that he was going to send me some 50% off coupons. By the end of the conversation when I guess he realized I wasn’t a big player, the “some 50% off coupons” dropped to one coupon and that was only after I reminded him AND I NEVER DID GET THAT COUPON. Great marketing huh.

FWIW I use Oracal 851 because I saw some good comparisons in Atlantic City last year (albeit from the Oracal booth – doh) and I have a really good supplier near me.

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave Sherby, Gergory is where I bought the Avery IPM 2000EZ. Hope it's the upgraded one from what Laura used.

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roger,
We always install our reflective dry , but Rapid-Tac is always used for wet applications of the other vinyls. Luckily that Avery reflective problem was our only material failure.

Tony, thanks for the advice, I think we will be using 3M on this job, not only do we do the cruisers now but we also get to repair them as they smash them up which in our town is very often.

BTW Tony, I didn't forget about that copy of "The Last Open Road", I'll be at the Glen in Sept. for the Indy car race and I'll look you up then.

Louie

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would really really appreciate more info./feedback on my previous question, please post any info. .

Thanks again, Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes roger I used rapid tac and prep prior to installing the Avery vinyl that failed on one job and I have used both Avery vinyl and rapic tac products on virtually every job in the past 5 years.

I would still use both Avery vinyl and Rapid tac products. Both manufacturers have stood behind their products and I will continue to use them until such time as they dont stand behind their product.

Imagine this people. You own a chevy, ford, or dodge vehicle and its in the shop for warranty repairs or worse yet a recall, would you buy another one, knowing that there was a problem with the last one? The majority of car owners buy another vehicle from that same automaker within a ten year period. Oh wait, I forgot, it cost you time and money to take it in for repairs that day too didnt it?

get real!!!!!!

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Roger,
I for one did NOT use the Rapid Tac. Only because I almost always apply dry. (I have used the product though when a wet application was necessary. No problems.)

I do seriously believe that your product couldn't possibly hurt OR help. I don't think anything could. It's not just a matter of the adhesion failing, it is a total Vinyl Failure. It curls and shrinks and peels.
The adhesive is leaving the back of the VINYL not the substrate.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

roger, go look at the pics i posted on a previous post. on this truck i did use some rapid tac...because of the ridges on the truck.
but your product didnt have anythink to do with the 1/4- 3/8" of shrinkage on the black vinyl that i experianced. on the single black 99 i did not use rapid tac on them, only where i had to wrap the vinyl over the ridge did i use the rapid tac...

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harris, my reasoning is that Avery said the problem was taken care of and yet vinyl made AFTER that lie is shrinking horribly. I stuck by avery after the first round but after this I'm not sure if I'm more ****ed at the shrinking vinyl or at being lied to & told the problem was taken care of.

Roger, I've seen it on stuff I used Rapid Tac on, stuff I did dry and on the rolls.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roger

Are you hinting that Rapid Tac may prevent the shrinking of vinyl that is shrinking on the roll???!!! Kinda far-fetched, don't you think?

[I Don t Know]

Now, on another note, I don't know what I would have done without Rapid Remover today. Great stuff!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3515 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as the origianl Avery failures were beginning to surface, I had already noticed that it was shrinking on my truck. It was A8 used under Signgold.

Following the threads here in Letterville that appeared shortly after and seeing that Avery was not being very consistant in how they were compensating sign shop owners for the inherent losses of materials and labor (Call the manufacturer - call the distributor - call the manufacturer, etc) I burned the stuff out on race cars and switched to Calon and Arlon for the long term jobs.

Why?
It hasn't been failing and I sleep better at night.

....nuff said.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!