Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT - FINALLY! Marinara recipe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT - FINALLY! Marinara recipe
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must preface this by saying that I NEVER, EVER make this sauce from a "recipe". I'm one of those, throw a little of this and a little of that in kind of cooks - except for baking of course. I might be in the mood for a sauce with more basil or maybe more oregano at a certain time and thus lean more heavily on one of those herbs. The amount of sugar required will depend entirely upon the acidity of the tomatoes you use. You will simply need to get it all put together and then adjust to your tastes. I prefer a sweeter sauce, some would prefer a tangier, more acidic one.

I've scaled it down to a manageable amount - I usually make GALLONS at a time and then freeze it. If you like a meatier sauce, add more meat - not a meat sauce person, leave it out. You can add sausage or pork or basically whatever you like. Be creative.

2 32 oz cans tomato puree
1 32 oz can crushed canned tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic -- minced
2 each onions -- sliced
8 ounces mushrooms -- sliced
1 green bell peppers -- rough chopped
1 red bell peppers -- rough chopped
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons dried oregano
4 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons dried basil
1/2 to 1 cup sugar -- or to taste
salt & pepper
(It will need a good amount of salt - as usual, I prefer Kosher salt.)

Saute ground beef - set aside.
Saute mushrooms in olive oil - set aside.
Saute onions and peppers together until tender but not mushy. HALFWAY through, add chopped garlic and finish sauteing.
Mix together above and add rest of ingredients - mix well and simmer for about an hour.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Sharrard
Resident

Member # 388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Sharrard   Email Robin Sharrard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kimberly...how bout that Shrimp Scampi recipe I asked you about at the last Micro Meet? Robin

--------------------
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Sign
Fallon, Nevada
rds@phonewave.net
"Proud $$$ Supporter"

Posts: 282 | From: Fallon, Nevda, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimberly
That sounds great
similar to my recipe
I use twice as much garlic
So I can smell like SI....
no meat(fennel seed imitates Italian
sausage)

add a skinned chopped eggplant
that has been salted and rested
in a colander for an hour..then rinsed

and a good shot of fresh grated romano
or parmesan or both
and a healthy splash of red wine
sometimes...fresh jalepeno...chopped seeds
and all

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer maple syrup to sugar, and find a tad of lime can add considerable zip and interest.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Segale
Visitor
Member # 1380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Segale   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Segale       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and, of course, I never make any spaghetti gravy without adding some red wine....
preferably the home made variety

--------------------
Tony Segale
Segale Fine Art & Gold Leaf Sign Co
Lodi, CA
www.tonysegale.com

""and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear"

Posts: 216 | From: Lodi,CA,USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kimberly..sounds good to me..might give it a try..

Serious question from a Canuck though..

What is "kosher salt"?

I'm aware of "kosher" meats but wasn't aware of salt. What is different about it?

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larger grains Dave..don't worry...use regular.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Kosher salt is also great to have around the house for winter ice melting use and also is used on dance floors to make it easier to move your feet.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kimberly!

Is the tomato puree like tomato paste?
I might just have to make that today!!

[Smile]

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suelynn,
It's thick but nowhere near as thick as tomato paste. Look for it near your pasta products if it's not in the canned vegetables aisle. For some reason, our supermartket puts it over by the pasta stuff. Go figure. I buy all of that stuff at Costco - if you want, you can buy it at Costco in the big #10 cans and freeze what you don't use.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

BTW, Si brought up a good point in chat last night...the amount of garlic in this recipe is on the low side. If you're a garlic lover, add more. You have to walk a fine line with garlic - you CAN put too much into a recipe. You don't want to taste nothing but garlic. You want to be able to taste the herbs and the mushrooms too. If you have 900 cloves of garlic in there, it will mask everything else.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in my understanding MARINARA sauce contains no meat. if i want a marinara sauce on angel hair....i buy HUNTS HERB & GARLIC cans and add a little more garlic and fresh bazil and rosemary out the herb garden. also while iam cooking the pasta i add a pkg of frozen chopped spinach to it so the spinach and pasta cook in the same water. i drain, add sauce and serve. at the table i add romano grated and sometimes cottage cheese. my mom also used to add sweet peas to the sauce for something different.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!