Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » screenprinting on 50 lb. rice bags

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: screenprinting on 50 lb. rice bags
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not really a rice bag. It's for fertilizer. I need to screenprint 2 colors on these 2'x 2' +/- fertilizer bags. I don't know the name of the material the bags are made of. The bags remind me of a really flimsy, cheap banner material, kind of woven-like. What inks should I use? If I used Plastisol, for example, wouldn't the heat melt the bag?? Also, how do I register for the 2nd ink color since I'm not printing on a solid substrate?

Thanks,
Felix

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2290 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix,
If this material is a plastic like those flimsy blue tarps or fruit bags you wont get any ink to stick to it. If it's a natural fiber you can use about anything.

As far as registering, the best solution that we've come up with it to take the film for the second color and register it under the screen. Than tape down the edge of the film to hinge it. Put your bag down, flip the film over, line it up, flip the film back and print it.
Not fun and not cheap. You will probably be charging 4 times what the client bought the bags for.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1359 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Screenprinting Industry does multi-color printing on delicate Nylon Jersey's using plastisol. Contact someone associated with Soccer Apparel or similar that could offer a few hints or better yet print 'em for you.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. Yes Bill, its exactly like a blue tarp. Well, flimsier.

[ August 04, 2005, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Felix Marcano ]

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Posts: 2290 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well plastisol cures at 325 so if this bag melts at that temperature then that would rule out plastisol. Their are other vinyl type screening inks that air dry and should work but may chip off or not stick at all. Do you have a 2 or more color press? I would make a platen that I could put the bag onto and I would spray the platen with spray glue that will hold the bag in place.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce & Deb Newton   Email Bruce & Deb Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix,

The Manufacturer of Ink that we use, will do a compatability test for you. You just send them a sample of the material and they send it back to you screenprinted. As well as the recommended screen mesh and ink series.

I was surprised to find out that they manufactured additional inks that are NOT even LISTED in their catalog.

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Posts: 126 | From: San Marcos, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Felix... just my dos centavos here......
Remember,,,, you are not doing Tee Shirts !!! You are doing a product that may be only seen once, stacked in a barn for a period of time, ripped open and flung in the landfill after only being used once. Just take that into consideration....(will your reputation hinge on color bleed over ??)
As for inks.......... I have NO idea !! just commenting on one of your questions about registration, artwork, etc.

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 822 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix,

Most likely, the bags are made from polypropylene in which case you should use an ink such as Nazdar's "PA Series Poly-All Screen Ink".

If you are not sure what the material is, I recommend contacting Nazdar's technical department and send them a sample of the material. They will test it free of charge and recommend the correct ink for you to use.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10691 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R T Thomas
Resident

Member # 355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R T Thomas   Email R T Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure to take the fertilizer out first!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
R.T.Thomas,AirDesigns/Sign And Airbrush Studio
rtart1@earthlink.net

Hattiesburg,MS 39401
Shop 601-584-1000
Cell 601-310-5901
Proud supporter of LETTERVILLE!

"Ahhhhhh.......Juicy Fruit."

Posts: 547 | From: Hattiesburg,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Thanks to all.

John, I saw a big rice bag at the store & they have a 3 color print on it. Horrible quality. I kept telling the client to keep it simple (since its a throw away bag) but he insists on 2 colors.

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember Felix. Most of the bags that you see are roller printed during the manufacturing process for pennies a piece not a buck and a half or whatever your going to have to charge.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1359 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I would simply chose not to do this job in two colors.
One or nothing.

In retrospect, some of the struggles I took on just because I knew ultimately I COULD find a way to pull it off, were not worth it financially and aged me early in wear and tear emotionally.
And then, after I figured it out, there is never another job like it, and they don't stand there and blow a trumpet in my honor, either.

Like the single piece inlaid table top, onto which I once screened a simulation of a table cloth for the furniture market in High Point NC, and I had no insurance then in case I messed it up.

I will file away the very very good info that ink manufacturers might test a sample and make a recommendation.
That is good to know!

[ August 05, 2005, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Myra Grozinger ]

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!