Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » flamming boat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: flamming boat
Stan Yates
Visitor
Member # 3176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan Yates   Email Stan Yates   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a guy who is supposed to bring me a boat to letter the license numbers and some flames. Any special prep steps i should take? I was thinking rapid prep and then 1 shot and air brush the flames. Any thoughts on price?

--------------------
Stan Yates
Crocodile Creek Signs
PO Box 308
Waldo FLA 32694 crocodilecreeksigns@juno.com

Posts: 85 | From: waldo. fla | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bonami cleanser first. I'd brush paint the flames first then airbrush the tips. Just like the old hot rods use to be done. Quick and easy. . . .have fun. . . . . take pictures John

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin McEvoy
Visitor
Member # 4578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin McEvoy   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin McEvoy       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this one with PPG urethanes, and Xotic kandy concentrates, base/clear.
He got the buddy discount at $700.
 -

--------------------
Kevin McEvoy
Columbia, SC

Posts: 21 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would be more inclined to go with kevins way of doin the flames....boats tend to have their hulls subjected to almost pressure cleaner water all the time. one shot and a airbush aint gona get it. short term it will be ok but constant water will take it the paint off.
i would be more apt to clean with bon ami, mask of area of flames, lits sand with 600 tack rag it and spray paint the flames, same with highlights and then do a clear on the whole area.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan Yates
Visitor
Member # 3176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan Yates   Email Stan Yates   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is my first boat lettering job,and i just learned that the first thing u do when the boat is droped off is chock the wheels. as i was standing getting my supplies ready and i looked up to see the boat showly rolling away.luckly as i yelled at the boat to stop it did what i said.good boat i told it.

--------------------
Stan Yates
Crocodile Creek Signs
PO Box 308

Posts: 85 | From: waldo. fla | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurt Silva
Visitor
Member # 257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kurt Silva   Email Kurt Silva       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming it is a fiberglass boat? One shot will stick just fine with proper prep. And it will not come off with water pounding on the hull. The biggest problem you have is rock chips from being towed behind the truck, which chips up all the paint, not just the 1-Shot. Trust me I've done hundreds over the years, both glass and aluminum. A good wax and grease remover and a good water based cleaner is all I have ever used but the Bon Ami would add extra security if you are worried about adhesion. Go easy with the Bon Ami if it is a dark colored boat. I would lay out the flames with 1/4 or 1/8 tape and mask it up with application tape, or if you have a plotter, cut them out of gerber mask. Apply the paint with a foam roller and while still wet, airbrush in some fades at the tips and radiuses. If you do decide to to some sort of base-coat clear-coat appliction be sure that you charge for the extra labor and materials. Don't know the extent of your flame layout so can't help on price there, but I get $85.00 for a simple 1 color hand painted lsn # and add more for outlines and shadows.

--------------------
Kurt Silva
Bend,Oregon
ksilva@bendbroadband.com

Posts: 46 | From: Bend, Oregon | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kurt; [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

Ever lost one to moving water? guess not from your response...moving water will "sand" your paint off faster than using 80 grit sandpaper...be careful where you position graphics on sides of boats...keepn' them out of moving water zone is paramount in longivity of paint...

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Weber
Visitor
Member # 5673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Weber   Email Dale Weber       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Frank is right...I lost a couple of lines and letters on drag boats in the 70's going 200 mph on the liquid quarter mile! On the flip side, I believe some of my 1-shot lettering was the first to break the sound barrier and land-speed record and didn't come off! (Richard Noble on the Black Rock desert about '96)
....Now if I could figure out why the stripes are falling off that Peterbilt...

--------------------
Dale Weber
Weber Graphics
89 Coney Island Dr. Suite 103
Sparks,NV 89431
775-359-1004
webergraphics@gmail.com

Posts: 16 | From: Reno, Nevada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan Yates
Visitor
Member # 3176

Well i ruffed up the surface with 6oo grit wiped the fiberglass sown with rapid prep and then used a projector to lay out the flames and lettering all the while lighting was flashing about. next day i brushed the flames with yellow and later came back with the airbrush and put in red and black for shadows. painted the registion # on and 3 names.I came our real good. what does the bon ami do that other cleaners dont and wher do u find the stugg.I know i did this job way too cheap $180 but this is my !st time with a boat rather liked do it and sugestion on pricing this stuff?

--------------------
Stan Yates
Crocodile Creek Signs
PO Box 308

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAY TO CHEAP!!!!! projector work on a boat with all those different curves?

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear you had the confidence to jump in and do it Stan, would like to see the photos sometime.

The Bon Ami has just a tiny bit of abrasive in the formula, it will act like "ultra fine sanding" so, don't need it if you plan to sand already.

First thing to do when the boats in front of you, wash with Rapid Prep, this will remove any wax, grease, oils, silicon, to avoid sanding them down into surfase.
Then I would mask, sand, clean again with Rapid Prep, tac with semi used tac rag, and start painting.

You don't want to wipe with real strong or harsh chemicals (should they enter the fiberglass gell finish, they will not come out till sometime later and probably damage paint or film), Lacquer thinner and acytone(sp) is notorious for soaking into fiberglass only to "outgass later" causing bonding problems for anything that had been painted or applied to surfase.

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Author's Homepage   Email Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stan heres what i would do..Ditch the projector, Get some 18" white masking paper (auto paint store) Prep the boat as stated above.. Now tape the paper as tight as you can get it.. ( using the boat that is pictured above) you would lay it out along the length of the boat over the black stripe. Now take a "sharpie" and draw your flames out to your liking. The slip some "saral paper" under your design and lay the paper back down and trace the flames with a ball point pen. Now before pulling the masking paper off make some "registration" marks on any contour line or any other points on the boat that transfer to the other side. Now take the pattern and put it on the other side inside out and line up to you "registration" marks .. slip the saral back under it and repeat process..( you could also pounce it and chalk it but this is just as fast) I would charge about $800 in one shot with out line and the flames would not wrap around the front.. &$50 for the reg #'s Give me a call if you need to.. peewee

[ August 04, 2005, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel ]

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

peeweepinstriping@comcast.net www.signspeeweedesigns.com

Posts: 845 | From: Oroville,Ca. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!