Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Flexi or Corel & Adobe ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flexi or Corel & Adobe ?
Gary Fowler
Visitor
Member # 5859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Fowler   Email Gary Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello everyone...i am a newbee here...
i have been lurking around reading and learning but the time has come to ask a question...

we are in the process of getting a Versacam with dryer and laminator and i am unclear about the software issue...

it is STRONGLY recommended by the dealer that we have and run Flexi... [Roll Eyes]

i have read some rather unpleasant comments about Flexi here, not to mention that i already own (and am presently learnig) Corel 11 and the Flexi is $3000...

i havent got Adobe but i can get that...

i currently have and run an Anagraph with the Anagraph software which i love because it is so simple that a 5 yr old could run it!
although as you probably already know, it is kind of a sucky program...

anyways...thanx to anyone that can advise me and/or make suggestions to help me...

--------------------
Gary Fowler
Sign Guy of Okeechobee, Inc.
Okeechobee, Florida

Posts: 10 | From: Okeechobee, Florida | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary,

I started with Corel and coverted to Flexi. I've used both and wouldn't go back.

I'm in love with Flexi and PhotoShop. They are at the top of the chain.

To get you up to speed I'd recommend the training CD's.

Joe
www.normansignco.com

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the opposite, I have Flexi and print to the Versacamm from Corel.

Start that way, you can always add Flexi Later. If dealer makes noises about 'package price' tell him to take a hike. Roland never entered into agreement with Flexi, and the versacamm has it's own RIP versaworks.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Fowler
Visitor
Member # 5859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Fowler   Email Gary Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you both for your help..
BTW...i cant tell them to take a hike because it seems as tho Roland is playing "Bill Gates"...
ie...i am forced to buy from this dealer as it seems i am in their territory...
i would prefer buying it from my weekly supplier (Sign Supply) but even tho they are half the distance from me, Roland says "no"...
i HAVE TO buy it from these other folks that are twice as far away from me because i am "in their territory"...

i cant tell you how much i hate that...

--------------------
Gary Fowler
Okeechobee, Florida

Posts: 10 | From: Okeechobee, Florida | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that game and I hate it as well. When push comes to shove, they'll back down. Hold your ground. I live in Labrador which is part of the province of Newfoundland, but we're physically much closer to Montreal than we are to St. John's.
I bought from Montreal, from the dealer of my choice. Be hard-nosed.

Tell them their choice is that you buy the Roland from the dealer of your choice or you buy a Mikumi from the dealer of your choice.

I like Roland, but there are huge differences in quality of support between dealers.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flexi 7.5 seems to be the great one.
The newer version 7.6.1 and 2 seems to have a few issues.

Sellers have territorys regions or whatever they wanna call em. Buyers DO NOT have territorys.

[ July 24, 2005, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Curtis hammond ]

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

What version of Flexi do you have and what are your concerns.

It's so fast and neat as you don't have to leave the program for scanning. Also Flexi has bitmap editing along bridging to all plotters. It has it all in one program.

Joe

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Joe I have Version 7.

No real concerns with it, it performs admirably as a rip for the Matan Spark.

I do find as a design tool it is limited compared to Corel. FYI you dont have to leave coreldraw to scan or trace or edit bitmaps either. I will grant you that I have been using Corel since 1992, but I did spend quite a bit of time familiarising myself with Flexi.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Mike,

That's news to me that Corel has the scaning and bitmap editing within it. I haven't kept up with it for a couple of years. My concern then was the poor clean up tools when editing all the nodes corel is famous for when scaning. As well as the limited scaning options.

By far corel is one of the more popular do everything programs, and it is cheap too.

Since you aren't using Flexi, would you be willing to sell it? I'm using version 7.4 and have a local sign friend who would be interested. I'll give him your name.

I can't imagine any image you could do in corel that Flexi wouldn't do with ease.

These conversions are as likely as converting a Baptist into a follower of Mohamid.

Joe
www.normansignco.com

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Hi Joe,

I didn't say I don't use Flexi, I actually need it as a RIP for the Matan Spark. I'm not tinkering with that setup, works too well.

I don't recall asking for conversions; John the Baptist I'm not ...

Topic asked for opinion on 'Flexi or Corel & Adobe, I kicked in .02c

[ July 25, 2005, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Mike O'Neill ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary,

Buy from whoever you want to. It's a free country.

I like the versatilty of Corel. Photoediting, file conversions, layout and text manipulation, printng and cutting directly to my Roland.
By far the most cost effective of the pack. Adobe's always been sky high by comparison.

my 2 cents...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
corel all the way! why would you want to sink another 3k into something you DON'T need! funny my distributor was pushing signlab....but guess what...roland supports corel and it comes with its own rip so why buy something else...i'm with mike...stand firm to the supplier or tell them to take a hike!
i can't believe roland is saying you have to buy from one specific dealer...are you sure about that?...don't see how they can dictate which dealer to buy from...unless of course your supplier isn't a roland dealer.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go the CorelDraw route for sure. An idea might be to buy CorelDraw 11 for cheaper since it is a version old and very stable over all with the updates/patches, then when CorelDraw 13 which is just going into beta comes out just pay the upgrade price and then you will be the first kid on the block with a new toy.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Downey
Merchant

Member # 829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Downey   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Downey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am working with Corel on their new version as we speak. All I can tell you is after 10 years they are finally listening to the needs of the sign people. I wish I could tell you more!

--------------------
Creativeink Design Group
3080 Perth Line 33, R.R. 4
Stratford, Ontario, Canada N5A 6S5
www.creativeink.ca
design@creativeink.ca

Posts: 372 | From: Stratford, Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karen,
Yes they Force you to buy from a certain dealer thats why I haven't bought mine yet. I was looking at buying one from a supporter of Letterhead and when I called he said he couldnt sell me one that I would have to go to so in so locally.
So like Mike said Mamaiki will let me buy wherever.. I just want the cutting ability too.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Fowler
Visitor
Member # 5859

thanx again for all of your advise and opinions...
i called Roland today and spoke to customer service...
i explained my situation to him and he is going to have the southeastern rep call me...
(they are in Cali and i am in Florida)

he said that it is very important to Roland for a customer to buy from whomever is closer and can give better/faster/easier support etc...

so...they might make an exception in my case as they have done for others in the past...

i will keep you posted...

as far as the software issue goes...
i already own Corel 11 and Adobe Photoshop along with all of the training DVDs and i am currently learning those programs...

my dealer that i buy all of my sign supplies from (my choice to buy the Versacam from) says that they couldnt care less if i want to use Corel and see nothing wrong with using it...
it impresses me that they are NOT trying to shove something down my throat that i do not need...versus the other dealer that is pushing Flexi on me...

dont get me wrong...if i didnt already own the software...i would buy and use Flexi...
but as mentioned above...why buy it if i already have the other...?

thanx again yall!

--------------------
Gary Fowler
Okeechobee, Florida

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

[Smile] Put the money you save on Flexi towards a laminator... Now that's a package that makes sense.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Gary Fowler
Visitor
Member # 5859

we will be buying a laminator, now that you mention it...
any recomendations?
any i should stay away from?

as a matter of fact i am going to start a new thread on this so that i can get a wider range of views...please answer there if you dont mind...
as always...thank you!

--------------------
Gary Fowler
Okeechobee, Florida

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!