Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Question on air brushing with one shot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question on air brushing with one shot
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Beverly   Email Robert Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Heads

I have usually prepared my paints for airbrushing at the time of use...but I thought about mixing up some 4oz. bottles of my favorite colors for immediate use but having them accessible for say over a year time....

good idea?....and what would you use to thin?...turp?...paint thinner?.....

Thanks ahead of time for your response.

how about japans?

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Posts: 1023 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use appropriate reducers for the paints you use. do not use paint thinner, mineral spirits, or the like to reduce One Shot paints.

We keep several bottles of pre-reduced HOK paint for airbrushing. Works great.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Beverly
Resident

Member # 1907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Beverly   Email Robert Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce

Can't believe I didn't include reducer...
just straight 6000 or would high temp 6002 matter?
so no degradation over time?

FYI...schedule has been pretty full but it looks like I am going to be able to make NH in September...might ship some stands if ya promise to use it if I give ya one... [Smile] ...should know in a couple of weeks for sure.

--------------------
Robert Beverly
Arlington, Texas

Posts: 1023 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert,

Over long term storage, some of the 1Shot colors, like black, will gel and shaking or stirring doesn't help much. Any kind of high or low temperatures will effect it as well.

I've always felt it better to start fresh. Why risk it failing or fading later? Better safe than sorry.

my 2 cents...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland Pinan
Visitor
Member # 2724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roland Pinan   Author's Homepage   Email Roland Pinan       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to avoid the 5-shot thing as much as possible.It literally will fade before your eyes even using all the right reducers.Using it straight out of the can doesn't help much either,saw some signs we did a year ago wit 3 coats of pure 5-shot no reducer and it is faded already.This company is having serious difficulties with thier product and they know it. I have spoken with one of their reps and he told me they were having raw materials problems.For most of my striping I have swithed to HOK I am not sure what to do for lettering enamel,however thinking about making a swith to Ronan.

--------------------
Cobra Pinstriping & Signs
907 E Skagway Ave
Tampa, FL 33604-1747
(813) 933-9096

Posts: 46 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roland, I'm not seeing any of the problems you describe. Keeping my fingers crossed.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5398 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!