Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Thread Moved/Closed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thread Moved/Closed
Peter Gariepy
Visitor
Member # 5434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Gariepy   Email Peter Gariepy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've started a new thread with a more defined contest as per everyones suggestions.

Logo Contest - $400 Grand Prize...

Thanks for everyone who contributed their comments!

Peter

[ July 13, 2005, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Peter Gariepy ]

--------------------
Peter Gariepy
Tucson, AZ

Posts: 100 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the cutoff date for entries, and how will they be judged?

(I assume we don't just continue submitting logos until you get tired of lookin' at them. LOL)

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Gariepy
Visitor
Member # 5434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Gariepy   Email Peter Gariepy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cutoff Date: Friday 7/22

I'm the sole Judge! [Smile]

--------------------
Peter Gariepy
Tucson, AZ

Posts: 100 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious, do you own all the use AND distribution rights on all of the artwork on your site? Just trying to get a handle on the prize.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Phillips   Email Doug Phillips       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter,
A few questions to help narrow it down for us.

What "flavor" are you shooting for, I mean do you want a corporate feel, old world feel, whimsical, futuristic, etc?
Any color restrictions, number of colors, specific colors, etc.? Will it be exclusive to the web if so what background color will you be using?

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Denali Design Signs & Tees
Anchorage, Alaska

Posts: 316 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Gariepy
Visitor
Member # 5434

Don Coplen,

I have licensed the rights to all the images from a number of vendors worldwide. I don't currently own any of the content.

Trademarks and Logos obviously belong to their respective holders and you must get permission to use them.

Doug Phillips,

The logo must look good on a web page. Must look sharp as small as 100h*200w.

FLAVOR: Obviously i'm trying to appeal to sign makers so the design must catch their eye.

COLOR: I'm game for just about anything. Keep it mind it will reside at the top of a website who's body will be primarily black text on a white background.

Hope that answers your questions.

Peter

--------------------
Peter Gariepy
Tucson, AZ

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ July 12, 2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Joey Madden ]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter, first I want to commend you for offering the one month membership to all serious entries. I think that shows at least a general acknowledgement for the value of peoples time & skill as designers, artists or sign writers.

secondly I want to comment on your prize. design "contests" have occured here in the past... some worked better then others. I expect you will get entries & some will no doubt be better then your current one (as you know, or we wouldn't be here)... BUT, if you are offering your annual subscription right now for $125 I think you should be aware that almost nobody here would ever design a logo for $125 & anyone who says publically that they would, usually gets enthusiastically encouraged to look closer at the value of a good logo & start prices at least around $250.

I'm not just posting to complain, but I didn't value my designs as highly before I found this site & many letterheads have helped me become a better designer as well as a better businessman. I thought I'd bring this to your attention because I think the old "get what you pay for" saying may hold true, for better or worse, even in a contest setting.

10 days seems short for busy small business owners. If you recieve only a handful of designs & based on the minimum of direction you don't really love any of them.. is that it, you settle & use the lesser of evils? (OK, evil is a strong word, I'm sure you will get some great designs [Smile] )

... I just think a good logo is worth paying for. Paying with products a signshop owner could use is an option, but you may limit the entries to folks that want your clipart... & you may limit the entries to those that feel a logo is only worth $125.

IMO, $300 - $500 CASH!! is going to get you the kind of logo that SELLS PRODUCT!!

quote:
FLAVOR: Obviously i'm trying to appeal to sign makers so the design must catch their eye.
...as sign makers, we are accustomed to educating our clients that good marketing doesn't cost you money... IT MAKES YOU MONEY!! (mediocre marketing, may not cost you much up front... but may cost you more then you will ever know if you settle for it)

This is just one opinion, take it or leave it... no offense intended. I do designs on other folks posts just like folks have done for me & that is freely given & a fun break from my obligations... I may get something entered here too... but there are some really awesome designers here & you will have some tough decision making to do if you get a good turnout. Good Luck!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Phillips   Email Doug Phillips       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To follow up on what Doug Allan said...

I don't know what everybody else charges for design work, but my rate is 100 bucks an hour with a 4 hour minimum (probably low nowadays). If I were to do a design for the prize I assure you I wouldn't spend more than a half hour doing it, not to dis' the offer, just what I feel I would invest time-wise. To second what Doug A. said -- you get what you pay for.

With my questions in my earlier post, I thought some (myself included) might want to take a stab at it, so I tried to pull a little helpful info out of you for others so they could focus and not waste a bunch of time barking up the wrong tree. You did sort of answer the questions but I think a little more focusing is required.

I tend to look at this offer as more of a chance for some to do an exercise, whether they submit an entry or not. Personally I usually do design exercises for my own logo about every two months to try to stay fresh and try new techniques.

As a general rule when I submit a design, it is usually to help others who have helped me (example Doug Allan helping me with a font the other day), or if I see a post where I might be able to add something for someone who is "stuck" or perhaps if I am bored and want to play. If someone wants to pay me, I keep it private professional and off board.

As as far as contests, I have no problem with them as a concept and I don't want people to think I somehow don't approve of them -- I like to gamble even if the house has the odds, but I have to really want the prize to jump on in. [Wink]

With all that said, I likely won't be submitting an entry, (I rarely use clipart, most is too cheesy for my taste), but don't let that stop anyone here from "exercising".

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Denali Design Signs & Tees
Anchorage, Alaska

Posts: 316 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Gariepy
Visitor
Member # 5434

Doug and Doug,

Points well taken.

Would a $400 grand prize and free memberships for a month be more fair?

Peter

--------------------
Peter Gariepy
Tucson, AZ

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter,

Thanks for extending this contest. If people don't like the prize, they don't have to enter then, eh?

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...since I'm well known for using the "Quote" button... as well as jokingly ridiculed for it [Smile]

quote:
If people don't like the prize, they don't have to enter then, eh?
yes, that is an obvious statement of fact.

quote:
Would a $400 grand prize and free memberships for a month be more fair?
Is that a question or an official revision of the contest guidelines?

...if a question, my answer would be that I don't see it as more or less "fair"... I think it is a decision on your part what league you want to play in, just as all our design customers have to make that choice when they establish a budget, or when the select a designer.

...if it is an official revision to the contest guidelines... then I would make the additional suggestion that you edit that revision into your initial post (& even in the topic heading)

thanks again either way

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the $400 would make it quite a bit more appealing, and would more likely attract submissions from people who don't have an immediate need for clipart.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks for extending this contest. If people don't like the prize, they don't have to enter then, eh?

Well said Bruce. Guys, if you disagree with it, dont enter.
Just like James panel swap, the dang thing has been over analyzed and discussed to the point of being sickening to read. I sell my logos for 350.00 and up, but thought that a years access to a great deal of clipart that will help on probably countless jobs would be pretty much worth working something up. A months worth for just participating was cool with me also.
I guess Im just easy. Anyway, please dont turn this post into a 100 reply post that will be hashed and re-hashed to the point of being ridiculous. Its gettin' old.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Bruce and John's opinion. Sometimes its not just about the money.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Gariepy
Visitor
Member # 5434

Click here to see NEW contest!

[Smile]

--------------------
Peter Gariepy
Tucson, AZ

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Peter.

I'd do it just for the fun of it.. And if I won I would brag about it on every marketing peice sent out.
The braggin rights would be worth it for me..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bragging rights are cool but I just like bragging... period!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!