Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Inspired PLUS at Mazeppa!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inspired PLUS at Mazeppa!
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I am walking around in a total fog... not nearly enough sleep during the last week, so much creative input - total sensory overload and way too much time spent travelling. But the trip to the Muster was worth every bit of tiredness I currently feel and more.

Its been a long while since I have been this inspired.

It started by simply walking in the door of Mike's shop... wall to wall eye candy of every imaginable description. Much of it was done by him and lots of pieces were done by others... there were antique signs and many things which defied description... ALL of it was inspiring. The place just oozed creativity from every possible nook and cranny.

Mike's shop isn't fancy, just an old, converted grocery store with a most generous dose of imagination and magic applied. It has an old-fashioned charm and is chock full of character- very much like Mike himself. His trucks weren't new, but they spoke loudly of his creativity. He is a master of marketing. It wasn't pretentious - just very, very fun.

Every square inch of the place was hopping every second of the day and long into each night... lots of creative folks had gathered and there were projects of every possible sort under way, every which way I turned.

As those there can testify, the mood was festive and the experience over the top in every respect.

I had the rare privilege of sitting down and chatting with many folks I have long admired, comparing notes, and experiences. It was a time of learning beyond description.

It was beyond great!

The panel jam and various projects underway throughout the meet were awesome. No matter what your past experience you could pick up a brush and work alongside some of the biggies in the industry. It was an opportunity to learn as much as one could possibly soak in during the long days of the meet.

I sat in on the seminars I could, and those who presented freely shared the information which took them years of dedication to master.

Naming folks would be almost impossible for the list would be far too long... there was so much talent demonstrated in Mazeppa.. it will take a long while for my brain to sort it all out. I'm sure in the coming months and beyond I will conciously and sub-conciously incorporate many ideas into my work which I picked up there.

Looking back I wish I could have spent more time talking with many of the folks I met. I would have liked to spend more time in the panel jam, painting alongside those who were eager to share. In the process I could have learned much, much more.

Here's hoping I get the chance to pick up where we left off at future meets when I see these fine folks once more.

Thanks so much to Mike and his crew for the MASSIVE effort they obviously put forth in hosting the Mother of ALL Meets. It was a lofty goal... I believe they pulled it off with a great deal of style!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan had everyone painting wiggly lines before the weekend was over, including me. Now I'm going to do something here at home just so I can paint like that. Dan calls his style "Bent", not crooked. There is a difference.

I was a little bent to begin with, but now???....... [Smile]

There's a pic somewhere that will fit right here if I can just find it.

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dan,

I can completely understand your feelings from above. How can I begin to describe what I have experienced over the past 10 days? I was hoping that I might be able to just meet you at the Mother of all Meets . Well, it went way beyond that. Instead of just meeting you, I had the great honor and pleasure of working with you for a couple of days. Not to mention that we were working on a project together for my new mate....Rod Tickle. And then you toss in Bob Parsons, Mark Yearwood for good measure along with all the other great talent that helped out on the Monster Truck hauler...incredible!!!

-

Then, after painting ends you take time to share your portfolio, ideas on business and life in general with whomever cares to join in!

And Mark, I too was instructed by Grampa Dan on the "bent" line technique. It was great fun to learn and I think half the painters who saw Dan's style want to give it a try. This experience will be huge as I start my mural workshop in New York City next week.

-

Well, I am still trying to get my head around the idea that we can't do this all the time. I find myself laughing the instant my mind drifts back to any moment last week. Even dropping Rod Tickle off at the airport yesterday was an adventure! I could easily write a book on this one! Might have to be a picture book as I have about 500 images from the whole week.

Thanks once again Dan...you made my week an adventure to remember for ever!

I'll send you up pictures as soon as get them put together.

take care for now...

Dale

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great meet. It was a true pleasure meeting you guys. Can't wait to meet again.

Having fun in Washignton,
Felix

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine a meet where EVERYTHING is so over the top it's surreal...

more eye candy than you can possibly take in...

imagine people painting everything in sight from panels to massive propane tanks to cows to cars...

imagine being able to work alongside artists who've you've admired and read about for years...

imagine 350 great people taking over a whole downtown...

imagine wonderful instructors willing to happily share their knowlege...

imagine an incredible parade that's literally miles long... and a monster truck running through town so loud it makes you rumble inside...

imagine fun and painting going on 24 hours a day... and incredible music and bands each night

imagine being able to sit down with any of the folks there and being able to share great conversation while eating your meals in a cacophony of laughter and good humor all around

imagine ALL this and a thousand things more and you may have some small idea of what it was like at Mazeppa... the mother of all meets.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, Dan!
I have some of Mike's shop from a year and a half ago at the Winter Muster. I still have to scan them and send them to someone that can post them.
Also, I, also am amazed at your style in large format handpainted wall murals. ahhhhh, I'm glad you mentioned that! Dan, you guided me with that in Sterling on your bridge mural. It's a perfect look from afar. You make it look so easy. And the line technique is fun to do.
Even though I was only there for the second day and last day of your murals I did enjoy blocking out the wall for the second mural and help toward the end of the finishing touches.
Busy being a Mom and having stuff to deal with, I wish I would have driven down everyday. Plus, again, I really can't tell you how disappointed I was that I couldn't make it to Mazeppa this year. It couldn't be helped, as it's been an eventful year here this time of year, as usual.

[ July 12, 2005, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Deb Fowler ]

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tim meyer
Visitor
Member # 1012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tim meyer   Email tim meyer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there Deb. I'm sure, if i know my brother like i think i do, give it time & we'll probably give everyone the opportunity to come back again down the road. [Wink]

--------------------
Tim Meyer

950 W 2nd St.
Zumbrota, MN 55992
tmpondy@yahoo.com

Mike Meyer's older bro

Posts: 62 | From: Zumbrota, MN, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 16 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't do it without YOU Tim!

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tim meyer
Visitor
Member # 1012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tim meyer   Email tim meyer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love you man.........

--------------------
Tim Meyer

950 W 2nd St.
Zumbrota, MN 55992
tmpondy@yahoo.com

Mike Meyer's older bro

Posts: 62 | From: Zumbrota, MN, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!