Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Painting Primary Belt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painting Primary Belt
Andrew Levay
Visitor
Member # 1950

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Andrew Levay         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need some help. I painted a primary belt on a new custom bike a couple of months ago and the paint has never dried (one shot). I had even used degreaser on the belt to make sure it was clean. I'm just confused at this point. One shot has always been good to me.
Has anyone else had this problem? Is one shot the wrong kind of paint for this or is there just a problem with painting these? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--------------------
Andrew Levay
Alleyed Kustom Art
Mt. Pleasant, SC

Posts: 11 | From: Mt. Pleasant, SC | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew have you called one-shot?

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be similar to using enamel on uncaoted banners, it never drys. You may need a barrier coat to make it enamel receptive. I would experiment on an old belt with the Chromatic "vinyl primer".

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Upchurch
Visitor
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Upchurch   Email Jim Upchurch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you put down a primary color first? Sorry, couldn't help it...

--------------------
Jim Upchurch
Artworks
Olympia WA

Posts: 797 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like it is time for you to mix up some vinyl screen inks to match. That should solve your problem.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to post this question over on the Auto Art board. Theres a bunch of bike painters over there.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is Frank Manning when you really need him?? [I Don t Know]

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kistler
Visitor
Member # 4049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kistler   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kistler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried screen printing all kinds of rubber products. Usually vinyl inks, particularly flat finish ones will dry, but sticking is the next problem. It is usually a exercise in futility. Rubber products are full of plasticizers that migrate into the ink or paint immediately and thus no dry. You may try some of the techniques from above but be careful, it can look good at first but can deteriate with time, sometimes in a few days.

--------------------
Robert M. Kistler
South Bend Screen Process, Inc.
2018 S. Franklin St.
South Bend IN 46613

Posts: 131 | From: South Bend Indiana | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew Levay
Visitor
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew Levay         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the address for the auto art board? I'll try there. I guess I picked one of those annoying projects to do.

--------------------
Andrew Levay
Alleyed Kustom Art
Mt. Pleasant, SC

Posts: 11 | From: Mt. Pleasant, SC | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://disc.server.com/Indices/65186.html

Auto art BB

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Flewelling
Visitor
Member # 2577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Flewelling   Email Dale Flewelling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Andrew,
A while back I was browsing thru an Auto Graphics mag and read an article on Vince Goodeve.I noticed the primary belt in the photo was painted and thought I would do this on a bike I was working on. A phone # was at the end of the article and I called Vince.He cleans the belt with carb cleaner and airbrushes with base coat colors.Says he's had good luck with this method so far and no problems with cracking or peeling. Worth a shot...

--------------------
Dale Flewelling
Art Attack Signs & Design
Newport, NH

Posts: 114 | From: Newport, New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!